The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Look like panther caps to me.

Another successful trip out yesterday with a good few more of the orange birch and oak boletes, though no ceps this time. House smells like mushroom soup with the dryer going all day yesterday and today ! :)

Cheers, Paul

Panther caps don't go pink like that, and have pure white veil remnants.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Bloody hell, that didn't take long. That's my photo, that is! And it only went up this afternoon - that page used to have something labelled as a panther cap but which looked suspiciously like a blusher. Pic taken last week.

It's funny I'd been looking at the photo credit and was thinking where have I seen that name before.

It was a patch of really fresh looking 'shrooms but I decided that discretion was the better part of valour rather than kill myself. Have you ever eaten blushers? Worth the risk?

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
It's funny I'd been looking at the photo credit and was thinking where have I seen that name before.

It was a patch of really fresh looking 'shrooms but I decided that discretion was the better part of valour rather than kill myself. Have you ever eaten blushers? Worth the risk?

I eat lots of blushers, and give lots to my customers. They are very common, and most other foragers don't touch them for fear of getting them mixed up with panther caps. They're fine mushrooms.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I eat lots of blushers, and give lots to my customers. They are very common, and most other foragers don't touch them for fear of getting them mixed up with panther caps. They're fine mushrooms.

If I find some more tomorrow and I don't post up... I'll haunt you! Only kidding I know it's my responsibility if I eat it. Though it's a good point in the ID guide that the two can grow together and each individual one should be identified before eating. You reckon the pink blushing is a good indicator?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Ok then Geoff, since you failed me on that last one :rolleyes:, can you have a go at this instead, please?

Biggest stalked puffballs I've ever seen, up to 5-6 inches tall. I thought they were boletes when I first saw them. Habitat was grassland on industrial spoil, with lots of tawny funnel around.

10233116713_1758706d0f_b.jpg

10232899484_a8fa51dac4_b.jpg

10233025086_82d7c8b595_b.jpg

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Ok then Geoff, since you failed me on that last one :rolleyes:, can you have a go at this instead, please?

Biggest stalked puffballs I've ever seen, up to 5-6 inches tall. I thought they were boletes when I first saw them. Habitat was grassland on industrial spoil, with lots of tawny funnel around.

Those are easy. Handkea excipuliformis - Pestle Puffball. :)

You often just find the old stem, which doesn't turn into spores. Not obvious what it is unless you know the species.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
If I find some more tomorrow and I don't post up... I'll haunt you! Only kidding I know it's my responsibility if I eat it. Though it's a good point in the ID guide that the two can grow together and each individual one should be identified before eating. You reckon the pink blushing is a good indicator?

Pink blushing, different stem base to A. pantherina, striations on top of ring, off-white veil remnants on cap.

I passed thousands of these by before eating them. Don't blame me if you eat one of the four other Amanitas you might mix it up with... ;-)

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
More requests about wax caps I'm afraid.

The first two are definitely wax caps, but in widely different locations. They may or may not be the same species.
10253610794_fc511f6b59_b.jpg

10253678345_c38c9465b9_b.jpg

I had lots of others, but my photographic skills let me down big-time today. :(

So, to finish, this. Much larger than the wax caps, but in the same habitat as the second picture, above.
10253671075_ba65637a26_b.jpg

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Honey fungus. In the middle of a field that hasn't had a tree in it or anything growing more substantial than a common spotted orchid for at least the last 100 years (the site has a well recorded history, hence knowing this).

I have to say I'm surprised, and a little doubtful. On the other hand, there could be a wind-blown bit of wood landed there a while back I suppose.

And it isn't a very good shot, giving you nothing but the cap to look at.

Not to worry. Thanks for looking anyway. Instead of asking difficult questions and hoping for an easy answer, maybe I should work on my own identification skills. It is too easy to rely on people like you and to let you do all the work. I'm getting lazy.

All the best, as always. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE