The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Here's a few
P8211821.JPG

The Blusher (Amanita rubescens.)

P8211809.JPG

Aniseed Funnel (Clitocybe odorata.)

P8211811.JPG

One of the "dapperlings" (Lepiota). Most of these are poisonous and smell awful. Not much hope of a species ID without microscopy.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
One of the "dapperlings" (Lepiota). Most of these are poisonous and smell awful. Not much hope of a species ID without microscopy.

Thanks Geoff. So one risky edible, one tasty condiment and one stinky miss (I had wondered if the last one was a small parasol, shows what I know.) Wish I'd known enough to sniff the Aniseed one out for a better ID.

BTW. With poisonous mushrooms how important is it to wash hands after handling - are there any cases of poison being transferred by touch?

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Thanks Geoff. So one risky edible, one tasty condiment and one stinky miss (I had wondered if the last one was a small parasol, shows what I know.) Wish I'd known enough to sniff the Aniseed one out for a better ID.

Until relatively recently, these "dapperlings" were in the same genus as the larger parasols. Those large ones have now been given their own group(s) (macrolepiota/clorophyllum). I think they just look similar rather than being closely related.

BTW. With poisonous mushrooms how important is it to wash hands after handling - are there any cases of poison being transferred by touch?

No, but there are cases of poisoning by fragments of caps. The only fungi which are poisonous enough to conceivably cause problems just by touching them are the Deathcap and Destroying Angel, but I think you'd have to crush a cap and then lick your hands clean before they'd make you ill, and even then it wouldn't kill you.

There's a lot of poisonous fungi, but only a handful (globally) which come into the category of "one bite and you're dead."

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Here's some taken in August in the boreal forest of northern Saskatchewan. I have no idea as to what any of them are.
062.jpg

#2 Top view
068.jpg

The same ones from the side
069.jpg

#3 Top view
070.jpg

Same one, underside view
072.jpg

#4 Top view
077.jpg

Same one, underside view
078.jpg

#5 Top view
080.jpg

Same one, underside view
081.jpg

#6 Top view
094.jpg

Same one, underside view
095.jpg

#7 Top view
097.jpg

Same one, underside view
098.jpg

#8 Top view
099.jpg

Same one, underside view
100.jpg

#9 Top view
101.jpg

Same one, underside view
102.jpg

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
Could be...

Thanks again Geoff, I've got a fair way to go before I trust my judgement enough to eat any.

Do you run courses in fungi ID ?

I'm seeing a lot of mushrooms this year, but then I'm looking more. Is this a good year or just average?

Thanks

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Hi Mark

Thanks again Geoff, I've got a fair way to go before I trust my judgement enough to eat any.

I think you know how to identify a Suillus, and once you can do that then you know it is safe to eat them. You have to start with the ones which you can't go badly wrong with, and this is one of them. There's a few rare ones, but Suillus tend to turn up in large numbers in one location, so you taking a few won't do any harm.

Do you run courses in fungi ID ?

Yes.

I'm seeing a lot of mushrooms this year, but then I'm looking more. Is this a good year or just average?

Down south, so far, below average. But that could still change.

Geoff

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
bb07,

Thanks for posting those lovely picture of fungi from a very different environment to most of the UK and a third of the way around the world! :)

Identifying them...hmmm.

1,6 and 9 are russulas of some sort or another. Absolutely no hope of species ID for any of them.
7 and 8 are what are technically known as "little brown jobs" (LBJs/LBMs) i.e. little hope of an ID without microscopy.
2 is a Hydnum or Hydnellum, and will be edible if it's not too tough.
3 looks like Sarcodum scabrosus ("Bitter Tooth"), which is very rare and protected in the UK, where it only grows in northern Scotland. It is probably more common in Saskatchewan. ETA: worth reading, re: north american versions: http://www.mushroomexpert.com/sarcodon_scabrosus.html
4 is a bolete and I can't tell you any more.
5 is a lactarius, and it would help to know which tree it was growing near to narrow it down further.

Last edited:

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Geoff, I was actually hoping you would see these as I was thinking if anyone would be able to identify them it would probably be you. I also thought that even though they are from a different part of the world, anyone interested in fungi might enjoy seeing them.
#5 were in a bit of a clearing, not close to any tree. The closest was probably 10' away. The only trees in this area are jack pine, black spruce and small amounts of birch. Thanks for your input.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Geoff, I was actually hoping you would see these as I was thinking if anyone would be able to identify them it would probably be you. I also thought that even though they are from a different part of the world, anyone interested in fungi might enjoy seeing them.
#5 were in a bit of a clearing, not close to any tree. The closest was probably 10' away. The only trees in this area are jack pine, black spruce and small amounts of birch. Thanks for your input.

You're welcome. Sorry for calling you Nomad....my internet connection went down last night immediately after I posted it and so I couldn't change it.

The lactarius is probably L. rufus. 10' away is close enough.

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
Hi Geoff

Thanks for all your advice so far, I hope you don't mind a few more questions.

I felt confident enough today to harvest a few of the 'Weeping Bolete' that are popping up locally, but on closer inspection, I think I have two varieties. The lack of any sepia ring on either seems to discount slippery jack.

These are the two, with the Weeping Bolete on the right.

77308238.jpg

The weeping bolete has lemon yellow flesh in the stem lightening in colour in the cap. The stem is also lemon on the outside particularly in the upper region. The other sample has a slightly lighter colour cap, smaller pores and doesnt have the lemon colour through the flesh. In fact, it is slightly pink towards the base. can't see anything in Rodger Phillips book that is similar. Could this just be variations of the weeping bolete? Both have yellow pores, it's just their density that varies. Both are growing under Corsican pine.

This picture shows the variation in stem colour.

5fb10ac9.jpg

And these two show variation in cap colour.

05f23aa9.jpg

f28ad434.jpg

I'll try to get spore prints of both tonight.

Many thanks in advance.

Mark

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
I also have a couple of others that I haven't seen before and can pin down in Rodger's book.

First is a small bolete type with a swollen stem. The largest I saw was only 5cm in diameter. The cap appeared scaly or velvety.

89a0412c.jpg

0b1fdb9f.jpg

7d8c5c63.jpg

104935dd.jpg

d989d9cd.jpg

b40b6c44.jpg

Again, growing under Corsican pines amongst weeping bolete and saffron milk caps.

I'll post the second separately.

Thanks

Mark

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
No 2 from today

f26d5cbf.jpg

a08bdf8e.jpg

Cap was 75 - 100mm dia.

These were also growing alongside and were all about 150mm dia.

40948afa.jpg

4ad57f63.jpg

cbef8109.jpg

d0b27da8.jpg

No young specimen I'm afraid.

All were growing together, three or four of the scaly ones and seven or eight of the smother caped ones.

Worryingly, when I first noticed these last weekend, there were only three large White mushrooms with fresh pink gills. They looked like big field mushrooms but I was put off by them growing under pines on sand. I can't say I'd eat either looking at them now. Neither look like the same mushrooms.

Thanks again.

Mark

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Hi Geoff

Thanks for all your advice so far, I hope you don't mind a few more questions.

You're welcome, and no I don't mind. I may not be able to answer them though! The spore prints may shed more light, but right now I can't tell you with any certainty exactly which Suillus you've got there. It's entirely possible that two sorts a growing close to each other but more likely that they are the same species. I think they are probably both weeping boletes. I see quite a lot of luteus, grevillei and bovinus, but I've not regularly come across the other members of this genus or spent much time trying to nail down the species.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
No young specimen I'm afraid.

All were growing together, three or four of the scaly ones and seven or eight of the smother caped ones.

Worryingly, when I first noticed these last weekend, there were only three large White mushrooms with fresh pink gills. They looked like big field mushrooms but I was put off by them growing under pines on sand. I can't say I'd eat either looking at them now. Neither look like the same mushrooms.

Just looking at the pictures, I'd say the speckled ones are probably Agaricus augustus, which grows with pine. The others look like A. arvensis.

Finally, the bolete with the "textured" cap looks like another Suillus - variegatus maybe?

Last edited:

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Found these this morning growing in amongst fern and grass up on the local downs.
They are about 8-10" in diameter.
Anyone care to enlighten me as to what they are and are they edible?

IMG_0491-1.jpg

IMG_0492-1.jpg

IMG_0489-2.jpg

Thanks for any advice and apologies for the mobile phone pics taken in the damp and mist. :)

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
They are parasol mushrooms and they are delicious.

These are one of the handful of species of wild mushrooms that it is completely safe for a beginner to go looking for. At least in Europe, there is nothing dangerous you could possibly mix it up with.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
They are parasol mushrooms and they are delicious.

These are one of the handful of species of wild mushrooms that it is completely safe for a beginner to go looking for. At least in Europe, there is nothing dangerous you could possibly mix it up with.

I thought they probably were, but was surprised at the size of them. I'll be off back for those this afternoon.
Thanks for the confirmation.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
I thought they probably were, but was surprised at the size of them. I'll be off back for those this afternoon.
Thanks for the confirmation.

If there's a few of them, it is worth checking how badly the maggots have got them before you pull all of them up. Slice a section of one of the caps and have a look. I found some a couple of days ago which were older than these and completely maggot-free, but sometimes they get to the stage yours are at and are already badly eaten inside. If there's lots of them like that, you might as well leave them to drop the rest of their spores and make for lots more parasols in the future.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
The one in the photo was pristine and that's in the car, but missy has scootled off to work with it.
Had to do some family stuff this afternoon, so it'll be later by the time I get up there and I'm not holding out much hope in the warm and damp we have here at the moment, but it they are past their best then they'll be left to drop their spores.
Thanks again for the help though.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE