The toughest time of the year....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Thank you, people. Thank you very much!
Unfortunately some of the suggestions, like going on vacation (possibly to Red :D, who I'd love to meet) or getting a dog, which I've been wnating for a long time, are not possible at the moment or in the near future.
Neither is endulging myself on athletic endeavours, due to fysical limitations.
BUT the setting small goals, going day by day and try to think happy thought... that I can do!
And I must day that all the responses are encouraging and heartwarming. I know the depressionpart will pass within a couple of weeks, but at the moment it is the accumulation of things that are overwhelming....

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Suffered from depression not seasonal though, all I can say is thank heavens for my dog (at the time) getting me out and away from everything.

A good dogs the best company and helps cure a multitude of ailments in my opinion.

What he said, but with a cat instead. :)

Ivanhoe

Forager
Aug 28, 2011
Sweden
Some old basics that never gets wrong: All mammals cannalize stress by movement.
Try to take a (yet another) walk around the area.

Ethics-regn1.jpg

Mindfullness is not to be underestimated. :)

I've begun rebuilding my former bookshelf glory with this site:
http://www.bokborsen.se/

Used books for one or two £! I can't tell you how impressed I am
with that site!

Music! Use the net and explore thoroughly! Get a cheap but hifi mp3-player
and bring it to the woods.

Flak-dubbeljrv28.jpg

Art! Use the net and explore thoroughly! Get some prints you like and
learn to really look at things.

Never ever use a teve!

And finally, make some fires to stare at, but I strongly suspect you already
have that covered! ;)

----------------------------------

Man needs difficulties;
they are necessary for health.

GC Jung

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
"I have found that more physically engaging pursuits are the most psychologically rewarding, such as parkour and other athletic endeavours, tree climbing and swinging from branch to branch, slinging rocks for distance, running fast along the edge of the waves, launching atlatl darts as far as one can. Only through intense exercise do we feel truly alive. What modern man needs more of is exercise, intense, strengthening, enriching meaningful exercise, not repetitive workouts on weights machines, not running on a treadmill. Having friends to do these things with makes them all the more enjoyable and worthwhile. But that body must be taxed, sedentary lifestyles in my opinion, are a large factor in causing depression.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this 100% exercise definitely helped me out of depression when I was younger. Can be anything you like but like Wildranger says, taxing your system is the key, I also find getting a really good sweat on helps clear your nose etc, we've all seen footballers clear theirs mid game. Next tme you need to chop wood, stick an extra layer on and see how much you can (safely) chop in 10/20 mins.

Also take a lot of omega 3 oils, I could bore for ages with all the reasons why, but I. Short, they are anti inflamitary, indeed are the ONLY proven effective "natural" treatment for rheumatoid arthritis. There's also a lot of evidence that they help with depression, the brain is mainly made of fat and with modern diets lacking omega 3 and having far to much omega 6. And 9 which counteract omega 3, needs a boost in most people.

Like other people have said, a lightbox, vitamin D and a multi vitamin could well be a big help.

Finally, positive thinking, dwell on the things you have done each day which are good for you however small. The brain is like a muscle and can be trained to work/think however you wish with practice. When you get better at a job making feather sticks etc, it's because your brain has learned how to tell the muscle to move, so although people talk about "mucscle memory" you've really trained your brain. And the same is true when it comes to thinking.

I hope some of this makes sense! Lol and I hope you feel better soon

Mat

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thank you, people. Thank you very much!
Unfortunately some of the suggestions, like going on vacation (possibly to Red :D, who I'd love to meet) or getting a dog,....

Much the same effect as having a dog...smells, hunts things......cr*ps on the carpet :)

If you want to try St John's wort mate I grow and dry it - I'll send you a supply so you can have a taste of this place.

I'm off to try the new soil ridger out in a minute....if you were here you could do some of the hard work and get messy :D

kanukkarhu

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2012
Western Canada
Wow.

I'm new here, but I really wanted to say how much I appreciate 1) Ron sharing his situation and his honesty, courage and 'good faith' in looking to this 'community' for help, and 2) the care that you've shown him in addressing his concerns. All great advise, given by - apparently - people who genuinely seem to care.

And Ron, doesn't that in itself help - knowing that your friends here really care?

This is like 'holistic bushcraft 101'! The same sense of health and well being that is granted us by getting out and about shows up in this thread. I'm impressed.

RachelUK

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2011
Hampshire
I have a bit of the same sometimes coming out of winter. A lightbox really helped me and doing exercise. Plus just getting outside whenever you can, days when it is sunny just get out and lap the rays up as much as possible.

Hope you feel better soon.

Gray1100

May 4, 2010
UK
Hi
I have a family member that suffers and they swear by a light box and exercise like a dog if that is possible.
It's not easy but hang in there.
Gray

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hey Ron - its time to propogate the gooseberries (wow that sounds dirty :)) - I could do with a hand mate - it takes one to do it and one to stick plasters on the scratches :D

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I'd love to, Red.....I really do, but......

As for all of you; thank you all for your advise and compashion!
I think I have had the worst part of it so far and I hope that this thread has helped others, too. I know it is a subject often neglected or even laughed at

Gray1100

May 4, 2010
UK
Not sure if this is helpful or not but the BBC has a news report entitled 'Walking could be a useful tool in treating depression'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17701485
It more or less confirming what people have said on here about getting out and about with some gentle exercise, if that is a possibility for you.
Best wishes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE