The ten quid shave horse

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Made a couple of these at the weekend for my bowmaking courses.

150x50x3000 Carcassing timber 7GBP
10mm studding, nuts and washers 3GBP

Scrounged the luxury copper pipe pedals from my plumber neighbour.

Not as nice as my half a chestnut tree version that my mate made for me but they work just as well.

horsetp6.jpg

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
So long as they do the job mate, that's what matters. You can make one cheaper if you wait until the end of the season and get reject decking from B&Q's scrap bin.

Eric

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
They are used to keep a piece of wood secured and stable while you work it with your drawknife.

There are some pictures of it in use on Eric's website.

Cheers,

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
You don't want it to be at all springy but a scaffolding plank might do it. The main cleverness is getting the back legs to flare in both directions (backwards and outwards.) The back legs take about 90% of the wieght so getting them secure with a good joint is quite important.

The front leg is held on with a 1" round tenon cut into the end. A hardwood wedge firms that up.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
They are used to keep a piece of wood secured and stable while you work it with your drawknife.

There are some pictures of it in use on Eric's website.

Cheers,

Thanks

One thing about the scrap wood from B&Q and homebase, when i've asked for it before, even offering to buy it because it was the size i needed they said no!

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Thanks

One thing about the scrap wood from B&Q and homebase, when i've asked for it before, even offering to buy it because it was the size i needed they said no!

The woodyard I use are the same. They burn great stacks of offcuts which would be fine for small carvings*. Makes me want to weep.

*then again I already have so many spoons that I have to keep giving them away. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE