The Tamarack knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Years ago said company produced there own knife, I remember really liking the look of it, I’am guessing more than a few folk off this splendid place would have bought themselves one at the time. Do any of you still own or use this knife regularly today?

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
This is the new version which is much shorter. Quite a bit different from the original.

7074FBAD-B2F0-492A-9DBA-F9A003F3AEDE.jpeg

Ive been trying to find pictures of the original. But I can’t find any anywhere. All mine were on British Blades.

Reactions: PoppyD

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I really liked the handle ergonomics and the blade shape which had a very fine point but was still quite a bit wider than the omnipresent Woodlore pattern at the time. I also liked the small flat part of the blade spine too which was rounded for a reinforced thumb grip, almost like a thumb ramp. Mostly the ergonomics though as it was much fuller in the hand than anything else available at that time. 2004. The wider blade and it’s overall shape made choking up on the blade very safe and comfortable. Something I do a lot with my knives When doing close up or fine work.

The sheath was made from really thick horsehide leather too. The overall aesthetic really appealed to me and it was this knife that spurred me to design my own.

I have found a picture of a rehandled one.

C0383735-553B-4FB3-B0CB-7EFD4F82703E.jpeg

If anyone has one they want to sell. Please give me a shout.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I remember they got discounted loads. Nearly bought one myself, but it was so far from the original that it would have been pointless.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Is there a use for the ricasso in this type of knife or what is the reason for it's existence?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Is there a use for the ricasso in this type of knife or what is the reason for it's existence?
Due to the quick transition from handle to blade, with no guard, it’s probably wise for safety. Plus it’s nice to choke further up for close work. It also protects the handle from being worn away when sharpening. But saying all that, Alan, and most custom makers do this on pretty much all of their knives and the gap can vary from knife to knife.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE