The tale of a sloppy bushcrafter or Never share your honey!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jem seeley

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2004
framlingham suffolk
Now,normally, I'm pretty fastidious about cleaning & sorting through my kit after a bushcraft excursion. I like to unpack everything when I get home,wash cooking pots,empty water bottles, make repairs where necessary & re-stock items that I've used while away.I then tend to put most of it back in the rucsac (with the exception of sleeping mat & sleeing bag) ready for next time.
After the last East Anglian meet I went through this proceedure as normal.....with the exception of a small zipped stash bag where I keep condiments,satchets of sauce & other odds & ends which enhance my life in the woods.Now on this occasion I'd taken a little jar of honey which with the addition of a knob of butter had been particularly welcomed by all who had enjoyed a rather fantastic bannock I had just made! Expecting,rather naively it seems now, that the last person who used the honey would have SREWED THE LID ON PROPERLY I didn't check this before putting it back in my rucsac at home.
Well,imagine my horror yesterday when I went to find a particular item in my sac only to discover the honey had leaked out of the jar,dripped through the zip & covered everything! :eek: A harsh lesson in kit care :eek:

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Ouch, honey can really make a sticky mess. I havn't had the unfortunate luck to have some leak out in my kit, but because I keep lots of honey and transfer from large to small containers, I've spilled my share of it on hard surfaces, clothing, carpets and a nosey cat once ( wifes reaction :eek: :rolleyes: )

Hope you were able to get it all cleaned up without ruining any gear.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Not nice hope everything cleans up OK :)

Lending is always a quandary for me been burnt before don't do it much know which is sad:rolleyes:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Fast food "restaurants" are great places to get travel condiments! Honey, salt, sugar, ketchup, straws, cutlery... I'm sure I'm not the first to saunter into McDonalds and study the menu avidly while rapidly filling my pockets only to mysteriously not be tempted by the sumptuous fare on offer and saunter back out again, endowed with multiple means of improving meals :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE