The state of TV and radio.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I'm not really one for TV and as for radio I've been stuck on Radio Four for years. Neither am I one to complain but I felt so angry that this afternoon I complained about a programme on Channel 4 called Come Dine With Me. Here's my complaint that I sent in to www.ofcom.org.uk: -

"I am appalled at the bad language featured this afternoon on Channel 4 during Come Dine With Me between the hours of 17:25 and 18:00 today 12th September 2007.

I had to collect my son, who is 6, from school and whilst eating our tea as a special treat he was allowed to watch some television. I wanted him to watch something that I thought he might find interesting regarding food and the interaction of people. I was dismayed to hear the use of foul language at this time of day. I clearly heard a woman say "sh"£" and earlier in the programme I thought I heard somebody say "s!d". This is totally unacceptable and should not have occurred. I am sure that foul language like this would be edited before broadcasting to an audience that is, at this time of day, going to be family orientated.

I am totally disgusted and feel that Channel 4 have to be held accountable in some respect for this gross act of negligence or misconduct.

I await your advice."

Now I do know that kids hear bad language in the big wide world - but there is no excuse for this getting broadcast in the late afternoon when kids and families are watching :nono:

I think that standards need to go up in a lot of areas of broadcasting and that there is a massive market in actually entertaining the population!!!!! What do you guys think?

Phil.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Channel 4 are famous for it now, no strangers to scrapping the bottom of the barrel, look at big brother, not sure who there trying to get to tune in, no one with a brain cell for sure :rolleyes:

First of all Phil, thank you and all those like you (and me) who stand up for ideals like restraint and loving discipline when it comes to our children.

I too am stuck on Radio 4 (it's all that's played in my house - unless my 12 year old son wants to hit his iPod) and, unfortunately, they're not immune either - I complained about a broadcast, recently, which featured an interview with an American Musician. This went out mid afternoon and the interviewee used f**k twice in conversation.

I frequently pull up youths in the street who loudly use such language in front of my wife and son and I'm starting to feel like an anachronistic dinosaur! It's posts like this that make me feel I'm not alone in the world!

Power to you - and complain away!

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Best advice...Get rid of the telly for good. You'll not have to pay the license fee and that'd pay for a nice bushcraft knife every year. There are no standards on TV anymore, I heared a BBC newsreader refer to a British officer as a "lewtenant":aargh4:.

May 13, 2007
NORTHANTS
Telly just seems to be getting worse all round,I tend to watch less as a result,find myself scouring the paper to see what 30 minutes worth I want to watch and then planning my evening around it! saying that I watched Tribe last night and thought it was really good,interesting that the Massai with their cattle look down on the Akie who hunt and gather and are viewed as "primitive". I have to admit that I tend to agree with everything thats said on "grumpy old men":( Anyway enough for now, the footy's on(I know,I know) so I have to go and shout at the telly:soapbox:

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Didn't the BBC once have a pronunciation department so that these sorts of things (mostly
names of foreign dignitaries) could be said correctly?

The Queen "of England" is the one that is most likely to make me hurl things at the TV.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Well now we have the prospect of ads for gamblng dens as well as sheilas wheels insurance :censored: and have you been injured and it wasnt your fault :lmao:
We are terminating sky tv contarct very soon, pay too much for it and its infested with way too many ads and repeat's. BBC tv and radioo is way too smug and middle class (and plain BORING for my taste especially when they encourage poly toynbee to rant at will. At least if you dont want or like sky you arent forced to pay for it. Its ridiculous that we are compelled to support a "impartial" :lmao: left wing biased bbc state broadcasting club, wether we like it or not. They should sell the bbc off, if anyone would want it as a business that is? No taxatin without representation? I object to having to pay for a outdated organisation that has such a supremacist "we alone are right" mentality, especially when basically they are unacounable and make there own rules
And as for celebrity programmes, give us a bag of crisps

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
i would like to say that my telly has been in the cupboard for six months and it was going to stay there or get chucked out because telly is generally pointless. however, it will get outed and set up tonight in order that i can watch james mcfaddens 35 yard strike for scotland against the french tonight when the footie highlights are on at 10.40. :D

Kill the one eyed God :notworthy , Kill the state's nanny, Kill your television.
Take it outside and put a brick through it, burn it, take a bat to it better still film it as your doing so then send the dvd to channel 4 and all those other waste of air space channels along with your letter of complaint stating that is the effect of how their idea of entertainment entertains you.
:aargh4:

TV=:togo:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Phil,

you are too young to join the GOBs young man, however good on yah.

Forget religion, television is now the opiate of the masses

Red

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Kill the one eyed God :notworthy , Kill the state's nanny, Kill your television.
Take it outside and put a brick through it, burn it, take a bat to it better still film it as your doing so then send the dvd to channel 4 and all those other waste of air space channels along with your letter of complaint stating that is the effect of how their idea of entertainment entertains you.
:aargh4:

TV=:togo:

unless, of course, scotland beat france. then we can watch. then destroy the telly.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Now now Grumpies!
Some of the comedy is well worth watching.
The Wales vs Australia match at the w/e should be worth a few laughs, never mind any England "team" matches.....
Oh and the Simpsons, Mochhh the week, Have I got news etc
Most of the rest (bar documentories) is rancid Wombat vomit.
How can folk spend more money on more channels when all you get is more crud?
I am glad that I am out 5 nights per week doing stuff!

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Anybody that knows me can testify that I do not have the sweetest vocabulary in the world and I have been reliably informed by colleaugues at work that I could 'swear for England' however I am the Dad of two young boys and do not and will not tolerate the use of bad language in front of them. I would prefer my children first learn the proper terminology for certain parts of the human anatomy before they get to hear the slang versions however this did backfire recently when my three year old son screamed PENIS at the top of his voice in a very crowded restaurant :eek:

Phil,

you are too young to join the GOBs young man, however good on yah.

Forget religion, television is now the opiate of the masses

Red

Damn right Mr. Red - also whoever called it the idiot lantern (no offence to those of you with square eyes) was not too far off the mark :eek:

Sat down last night at about 22:00 with a beer and spent 10 minutes switching channels trying to find half an hour of entertainment - surprise, surprise the cupbourd was bare :rolleyes:

I found much more entertainment reading Camping and Woodcraft by Horace Kephart not only can I read this on the sofa,in bed etc. but also in the bath, which is a demonstration of a man being able to multitask - or so I tell Mrs. TMKTC :lmao:

Phil.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I am also too young to be considered a grumpy old anything, or as my younger friends describe me “a curmudgeon, crusty cantankerous old git, stubbornly clinging to old tired out of date ideas.”
My out of date ideas..
Nothing more than manners and English, something I feel is especially important to maintain on television. I grind my teeth when I hear some jaunty school aged presenter claiming that they have “loads of ideas” or open their pointless flashy television programme with “watch’yer”.
However, my greatest rants are saved for teatime programmes, such as Richard and Judy, the foul language, the delighted mocking of the average person in the street, the racist, demeaning content of their sofa chats. Most if not all of their guests this season have been restricted to London based minor celebrities, who just do not seem to grasp that not everyone in Britain gives a stuff about their petty lives. One particular guest spent most of her time bleating about people with dirty houses, and her parting comments was along the lines of “who doesn’t have a cleaner nowadays” I feel that such people, people who get paid to sit on their widest parts, should take a month long trip to ‘reality street’ where no one knows their name. See what life is like for 99.99999% of the population.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I give thanks to the absolutely awfull TV content that has helped me free my self from the flashy box. Due to the fact there is pretty much nothing i would want to watch day to day, i know i only have council TV but theres still million digital channels full of junk. I say thanks for the bloody awfull TV standards such as Big brother etc that have freed me from the chains of the TV !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE