The start of the trout season

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I know in some places of the UK ot has already kicked off but for us its the 25th. Can't bloomin wait, nice to have something to look forward to. This year I've taken the plunge back in to fly fishing a fly tying, after an absence of about 10 years. I blame Mr. Claycombe and the epic fly fishing videos he has posted from tightloops. So I got myself a 10' 4# outfit. It bothered me how many fish I saw rising last year so I'm hoping to really get the on dry fly.

What about everyone else?

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
I have been known to have a go at fluff flinging :)
Probably going to rejoin my local fishing club. Only went a couple of times last year and need to learn my new waters.
It's a great way to spend a few hours.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I haven't cast a fly for a good five or six years (actually, it may be longer than that :() - I'll have to find all my gear but I've got a sneaky feeling I never got it back after my son last borrowed it :(

I used to love tying flies.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
What a pleasant reminder of a long forgotten pasttime. Thanks.
Was a big deal for me in a past life.

A chance to buy all the parts and build yourself a custom rod.
Just as fiberglass was going out, I bought a 9' 9wt 2-piece Fenwick blank
and got all the little bits. The Rodon reel seat cost more than the blank.
If you can tie your boot laces, you are well qualified to build a rod.
Best estimate of the value of your rod is at least 3X the price of the parts.

I got just what I wanted for windy west coast rivers.
I work that with a good Hardy Marquis reel and spools.
Have been flytying for some 50 years.

Most lakes in BC open with ice-out, rivers & streams post spawning July 01.
Bait ban, single barbless hook.
Almost all open crown land = go fishing where ever you like.
I should go to a local park and try a little dry land practice. I have been unable to get to the water for the past couple of years.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Awesome! Great to see a few folk in to it :)

RV, I really fancy having a go at crafting a rod at some point. I actually really like the idea of a fibreglass rod, I like a soft rod action. That's the reason I went for a 10' as they tend to have a lot of give in them for handling light tippet, but I really enjoy casting an 8' rod.

I used to make pocket money while studying at uni tying flies. And then I'd spend it all in the orvis shop in Edinburgh. I dropped out of uni due to anxiety, god bless fly fishing it gave me sanity. I was lucky to fish the clyde and tweed, but the water of leith is a little gem of a stream that runs through the heart of Edinburgh. The upstream reaches around juniper Green and currie are awesome. Wish I'd have spent more time there.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Everybody should build a rod.* You already know exactly what the parts are. The guides come in sets. Pick your own tip, reel seat and handle corks & neoprenes. You can buy the blank, slow or fast, as you choose. Make certain that the handle fits you. Same sizing as a tennis raquet. The handle on mine alternates 1/2" corks and 3/8" black neoprene foam (waterproof closed cell). I can feel the rod flex under my hand without the stiffness of all-cork & glued. Instantly recognizable as a custom.

Wrapping the thread is the fun part. Gudebrod makes all kinds of colors and dopes ands varnishes. There's text books full of wrapping patterns that look like Christmas candy.
*the guy in the office next to mine built rods for all his entire family. Spin, bait and fly for everyone. Better than book-learning for a klutz like me.

punkrockcaveman Your 10' #4 is a really skinny rod. What will be your usual fly hook size? Dry flies drown in our rivers. Mostly nymphs that will go past the fish like bullets so they are pretty speedy on the uptake.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
For all the beginners and rusty casters, I found these useful when I picked up my fly rod after about 18 years away from it. As I haven't kept up practice, I think I could stand watching and practicing on the green some more.
Playlist links follow the embedded media.

And this is just fun to see what can be done. Magic casting around corners.

Last edited:

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I'll be looking into it now rv watch this space! It is quite a skinny rod (although there seems to be a current trend of rods down to 2# upto 11' in length!) But we don't get many above the 2lb mark, the majority probably 3/4 lb. Also the majority are taken on small olive or caddis imitations, so its size 16-18 dried normally or nymphs, although I did have success on spiders (wets) accross and down, but prefer fishing upstream really

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There's a Zen thing about fishing and fly fishing is nothing exceptional.
Just get out on the water.
Every day that you spend out there is a day not counted in your allotted life span.

I'm 18 months old. I should be dead, about 6-8 months ago. Damn good thing I spent so many days fishing years earlier.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Definitely. Time on the water is well spent, its a different world when your in the water too.

Heres the first tie. 2 cdc feathers for the wing, and the left over cdc fibres used for dubbing. Its not pretty but it should hopefully be trout fodder

20210324_072256.jpg

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Scalby Beck is where I was referring to .... currently closed to day tickets but top of my list to fish . I'm hoping to become a member at some point but its a very small club . Scalby Beck is is a lovely stretch , probably only lightly fished and well managed by the volunteers/members .

I live in Ruswarp , walking distance to the tidal reach of the ESK . There is a stretch close that is free just below a weir but the pool directly below the weir is private fishing only . Most of the Esk around her is controlled by the Egton Estate and expensive to fish and heavily monitored by the bailiffs .

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Scalby Beck is where I was referring to .... currently closed to day tickets but top of my list to fish . I'm hoping to become a member at some point but its a very small club . Scalby Beck is is a lovely stretch , probably only lightly fished and well managed by the volunteers/members .

I live in Ruswarp , walking distance to the tidal reach of the ESK . There is a stretch close that is free just below a weir but the pool directly below the weir is private fishing only . Most of the Esk around her is controlled by the Egton Estate and expensive to fish and heavily monitored by the bailiffs .
Cheers for the info Rob. Fingers crossed you get your membership, I know these things can be a waiting game but hopefully soon bud!

Reactions: Madriverrob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE