The start of the trout season

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Absolutely stunning. I'd love to fish a river like that. Fast, full of riffles and pocket water, no messing about. My local river is slow, silty, straightened, smelly, backed up by weirs and full of litter. Don't get me wrong, it is charming in it's own right, but it's a shadow of what it could and should be

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Absolutely stunning. I'd love to fish a river like that. Fast, full of riffles and pocket water, no messing about. My local river is slow, silty, straightened, smelly, backed up by weirs and full of litter. Don't get me wrong, it is charming in it's own right, but it's a shadow of what it could and should be

LOL you paint a lovely picture Sir :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
15 minutes on the highway and 15 minutes on a gravel logging road (all-weather, smooth enough in places for 50mph). Part of the reason I don't need to go camping any more. Not 100 days in there, yet.

Sometimes, I go fishing with pea-sized pieces of white cheese. Flip them into the water, watch them sink. Some sit on the bottom. Some magically disappear.

A simple Black Gnat wet fly on a #8 or a #12 hook, just dangled over a ledge, dap the water with it, might just do the job. Trout in there supposed to run 4-5 lbs and smaller.

Habitats get devastated for commerce, I'm not so sure there's much defense against it in remote places like mine. What you can't see is the plan for 4-6 Run-Of-The-River megawatt hydro power generators in there. The valley will become a spider web of power poles and transmission lines. This will have no effects on the main stem of the river. But the visual quality of the experience will be ruined.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Well I managed a cheeky pre-work open day session in this morning, down at the river for 6am it was lovely. Only had a spinning rod with me but I've opened the season on a fat 1.25lb brownie, it was a scarred old warrior. Plenty of herons, cormorants, mink and otter to make those wounds. It had been feeding heavily on minnows and stickleback so the spinning rod was a good choice in the end. Looking forward to throwing the fly rod now though

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Well I managed a cheeky pre-work open day session in this morning, down at the river for 6am it was lovely. Only had a spinning rod with me but I've opened the season on a fat 1.25lb brownie, it was a scarred old warrior. Plenty of herons, cormorants, mink and otter to make those wounds. It had been feeding heavily on minnows and stickleback so the spinning rod was a good choice in the end. Looking forward to throwing the fly rod now though

What river were you on ( if you're happy to share that is ) :ninja:

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
The Aire Rob- very nice in some places, spoilt in others.... holds some big fish though. A few big browns have come out downstream of leeds of all places, touching double figure weight.

Reactions: Madriverrob

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I used to be on the Bradford City AA book, they had some great water, the wharfe at Buckden is really nice :) they have a stretch at Addingham and Burley in wharfedale too. But the stretch of the Aire at Carleton is the crowning glory. Must be one of the nicest stretched on the Aire.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I'll be fishing the Breich Water next month. It'll be my first time for the trout that lurk there. Super looking forward to it. I won't be fly fishing though, I'll be on the spinner or soft lures......

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
20210331_070941.jpg

This is the box so far. A couple of different weights of pink perdigon nymphs size 14, hares ear shuttlecock cdc 14 and 16, f fly 14 and 16 and a couple of testers. Should be enough for a short session on Thursday afternoon

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Spent a few hours this afternoon, the first session with the fly gear. I tried some heavy nymphs Czech nymph/high sticking style, to no avail unfortunately! It was a little windy and my setup was a bit shonky to be honest. Needs work haha. Didn't have too much confidence in my flies either but I'll get tying. It was a bit cold but there was a few midge hatches going on and a few fish were sporadically rising but nothing worth switching to dry flies. Still really enjoyed the session and my roll casting was coming on towards the end.

20210401_124559.jpg
20210401_124618.jpg

Reactions: FerlasDave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE