The Starkie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Is it just the greatest creation ever seen in the knife world? (Sorry, i'm a bit excited). I noticed a dink in my NS when i was putting it in the drawer about 30 mins ago and i thought "here we go". I imagined that after a session on the DC4 it would be scratched to hell. So i started (while trying to think of thread titles like "how to fix my NS" or "finishing a NS" to aid me in my search for a shiny NS).

Never would i have imagined the starkie would have polished up such marks. After a grinding session, and a starkie session, my knife now is as shiny as a mirror! And my arm is all bald.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=19854&recno=9

:eek:): :eek:):

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Jake you are a man obsessed but it must work as I have just ordered one.

What commission are you in anyway? And are we going to get a full discription of the Jake Starkie Stropping technique?

Also you need to edit your link as it has too many http://

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Oh yeah cheers John! Well, at this point im getting 25% for all BCUK orders, and 25% for all BB orders, every order now comes through me :wink:

Didn't you already have one?

I plan to do a proper photography job soon, using film and a scanner, so perhaps i'll include it in that!

But i'll give it a go.....

(convex edge [on a hard surface, though doing it on a saft may be easier] )

With the strop in front of you turn it on it horizontal at one end a pull the knife across (making it COMPLTELY flat on the leather). By the time the knife reaches the other edge the knife should have been lifted so that the whole of the convex edge had been in contact with the leather. Repeat this on the other side. Is that kinda clear?

(Scandi)

Lay the bevel on a *flat hard surface* and simply pull the edge right across keeping the bevel flat, do the same on the other side.

Once you have a technique down this thing truly rocks!

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
This may be a silly question but which side of the leather do you use. Now if the strop comes with big letters on one side saying "use other side" then feel free to ignore this question.

To be honest I do feel that my old leather belt may be just as good but I think the paste will be the big difference. Still for the money I gotta find out.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
:shock: I hope your not considering being unfaithful to your starkie, it's a package afterall :wink:

I tend to use the "Starkie Sharp" side for starters then the other one for finishing.

How have you held out all this time?

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Magikelly said:
I am surprised you have one, I thought you would have lost most of your knifes before they needed touching up :eek:):
:roll: They always could do with a touching up :wink:

Well, a good (different) way of doing it is laying the knife flat on the starkie, and pulling the starkie up from under it, that way the leather conforms to the shape of the edge.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
RovingArcher said:
:roll: Something we don't have here in the states I guess. That is, I couldn't find it with a search. Oh well, guess I'll stick with the W/D paper.
An old wide leather belt and some Autosol chrome polish (looks like a tube of toothpaste, any chrome polish should be ok though) does the job too matie or Flexicut do a honing stick which is the same (near enough) as the starky honing crayon, try googling that :biggthump

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Im afriad one isn't allowed to be unfaithful to the humble piece of leather that is the starkie. ;)

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
However if someone finds a piece of leather of similiar size and type i would gladly consider it!

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I was primarily wondering if they were sold here, but I have a piece of Elk skin that will give me a 6x6 or 6x8 piece of honing leather. I'll get some of the Flexicut, that I found online. I want to give it a try and compare it agaist what I'm using now, which does a fine job on the NS and my other blades. Thank you for the replies. :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE