The Spatula of Infamy.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Earlier this year, I got out on an unexpected and unplanned overnighter. After hurriedly chucking a few things in a drybag, I grabbed my paddling gear and headed off to one of the places I know where I'm almost certain of not being disturbed. After setting up my hammock and tarp,

IMGP2582.jpg

IMGP2587.jpg

collecting wood, lighting the fire

IMGP2589.jpg

and having a few scoops, my mind turned to food. I dug my burgers out, and then, after much searching, I realised that I hadn't brought any eating irons, cooking utensils or my grill.
The easiest thing to sort out was the grill. I found a flat rock that had obviously been heated in the past, put it in the fire and covered it in coals to heat up. Having seen that Mears fella swiftly make a spoon using his axe and knife, I thought that I'd have a go. I searched through my wood pile for a well seasoned log about as thick as my wrist and as long as my forearm and quickly chopped a blank with my axe. I decided that it would be better to try and carve the bowl while it was in this state, so I started scraping away. It turned out that I'm not as good at this spoon making lark that I thought I would be, as I quickly tired of not getting anywhere with the bowl, so I decided to turn it into a spatula, since I'd brought burgers rather than soup. This turned out to be much easier than spoon making, although the least critical thing that you could call it is "primitive". It proved to be very good for flipping burgers though.

IMGP4197.jpg

IMGP4198.jpg

When I got home, I told the above story to my wife, and showed her the spatula. I must admit that I found her laughter disheartening. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't dream of showing it off on this forum, due to the high standard of craftsmanship shown by almost everyone else, but then I had the idea of putting it up as a booby prize for the stupidest question asked, or answer given, by someone who should know better, because after all, what's the point in giving someone a wooden spoon on this site? They'd only like it, use it or modify it in some way.
Unfortunately though, this won't be happening, as the woman who scoffed at it now classes it as one of her favourite utensils, and won't let me give it away.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Looks great,
I get the laughter and mickey taking all the time...

Be it 'playing soldiers,cowboys and indians or singing ging gang gooley tonight dear?'...

Hmmph:rolleyes:

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I have had the laughter and requests for new spoons The spatula I made was well used though by my daughter.

Good work and approved by the wife as well:eek:

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I suspect we've all been there....forgotten something critical.....improvised......adapted .......and overcome.

Only to have our nearest dearest take the Michael when we tell them.

Love the spatula.

Simon

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
My stuff doesn't get laughed at much, but I'm treated often to pitying looks. Sometimes I feel I am only a moment away from a pat on the shoulder and a heartfelt "there, there..."

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Is'nt that what bushcraft is all about, out in the woods and being able to/have the knowledge to, make a utensil which does the job from natural material around us?
You went, you saw (you had forgotten something crucial), you conquered, in that you improvised by making something that you needed which works, nuff said!
Well done you, it looks pretty godd work from where I'm sitting, I wish I could do half as well mate LOL..

rivermom

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2008
Sligo, Ireland
I suspect we've all been there....forgotten something critical.....improvised......adapted .......and overcome.

Only to have our nearest dearest take the Michael when we tell them.

Love the spatula.

Simon

One of the best pieces of lateral thinking I ever saw was the day we had everything ready for a brew up, after a fun afternoons fishing , back when I was a kid. What had muggins forgotten? The cups.
But we had brought oranges with us. So my dad cut an orange in half, scooped out the flesh with his penknife, and we had our tea with extra vitimin c.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
My stuff doesn't get laughed at much, but I'm treated often to pitying looks. Sometimes I feel I am only a moment away from a pat on the shoulder and a heartfelt "there, there..."

"A moment away" ..........Lucky you, I get "there, there" regularly :lmao: :lmao:

Oh and by the way I have (had) a spatula too that is now part of the kitchen equipment.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
That's a great bit of kit :D When i'm out i make them to cook with and sometimes to eat with, after all, it's easier to make it flat with a knife.

Good work, now i think your wife needs a slotted spoon :D

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
That's a really well made spatula, you got the curvature just right. And it has character!

Some females ruminate that the man in their lives is a stranger to kitchen related items and/or lacks imagination, yet here you are actually hand carving such an item with imagination and skill.

Just ask her how many women she knows whose man would have done the same - and hope that she does'nt remember that you forgot to take your kit! (o:

chris7273

Jan 2, 2008
Belgium
your spatula is a spatula, you shouldn't be ashamed ;-)

you should see my first spoon (and this is also the last one) : it is quite "rough" but it works. As I have no crooked knife and as my ability to carve a concave shape with my normal knife is near zero, I have used a burning charcoal. It works but the spoon really looks "rough" after that.

I will post a pic soon.

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
i'm too lazy to make a nice sppons, and often forget my utensils, so most of the time when i'm cooking on an open fire i will use a piece of firewood to make a utensil like a spatula or a two pronged fork and eat with that. Then when i'm done i burn it, simple, quick easy and no washing up:D

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
You just trying buying one of them in the shops.....no chance....!

Hey, needs must, you made it, it worked.....and it's now been pressed into regular kitchen duties......it doesn't get any better mate!

Smoggy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE