The South Downs - Wildcamping All The Way

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
As for the camping itself - well, I make friends wherever I go! I dare say it's possible to look at near enough any decent sized woody area, walk into it (maybe climb a fence...) and make a peaceful camp :). Anyone in the villages, pubs etc could spot us coming a mile off - they could see us carrying rubbish to bins, clearing the next pub bench of glasses along with our own, buying eggs from their honesty boxes and joking around with old ladies in bookee little shops... nobody seemed to mind our presence ;)
Brady
I'd be careful though... There are some on here who would call you a vandal and trespasser for doing such a thing, especially announcing it here, despite the fact that you clearly cared about the land and left no trace. Leaving no trace isn't a just excuse though. I just think you should be aware that camping is illegal outright without permission and some people really dislike others who evade the law.

Nice photos though, friend.

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'd be careful though... There are some on here who would call you a vandal and trespasser for doing such a thing, especially announcing it here, despite the fact that you clearly cared about the land and left no trace. Leaving no trace isn't a just excuse though. I just think you should be aware that camping is illegal outright without permission and some people really dislike others who evade the law.

Nice photos though, friend.

And there are some one here that insist on drawing attention to threads that might otherwise have been overlooked, intentionally or not it stirs the pot and best avoided...

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
Thanks again folks!

Ah! Sorry for my wording - I don't condone trespass nor vandalism. My advice is be your regular friendly selves (I'm not friendly but love a challenge ;)) and you'd be surprised how kool people are. I've heard tales of the lady of the estate bringing fry-up breakfasts and the like, but unfortunately our welcome didn't extend to that level.

Worth noting is that along the way you come across a number of small villages, and things are different to big towns - coming from where we do, we know when we're being followed! It was amusing for us on the 7th drive by, but if you were planning on a sly one into a patch of woodland you'd get spun on the way there easy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE