The Rut @ Richmond Park

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Didn't really 'craft' any 'bush' on this trip, but thought it might be of interest to some here:-

I took the short train journey over to Richmond Park today to see how the Deer were getting on.

For those that don't know, Richmond Park is the biggest open space in London, almost 1000 Hectares. Its a mixture of Woodland (largely ancient) and Lowland Acid grassland.

There are about 300 Red deer and 350 Fallow that walk around freely. While they are effectively wild, with a few million visitors to the park each year they are pretty used to the sight of humans.

Anyway, here's a few pics.

This fella had a group of about 9 or 10 females, the biggest single group of reds I saw.

richmondpark071006047pv8.jpg

This guy was in pretty good voice, but could only manage to keep hold of these two girls.

richmondpark071006032bk4.jpg

The Fallow were mostly in one big group, some of the males got a bit testy at times:-

richmondpark071006010rj5.jpg

Early evening the activity picks up, the noise of the big reds echoes all around the place.

richmondpark071006033wn4.jpg

I made a move as the sun was setting, a few of the larger reds looked like they might be planning challenges for females, I hadn't seen any clashes all day

richmondpark071006007zw1.jpg

On my way out through this wooded area, I came across this, no idea why or who had built it...

richmondpark071006045ka3.jpg

Also saw a quite a lot of fungus, only ones I could confidently identify was the Macrolepiota procera about the place. The slugs were enjoying this one:-

richmondpark071006003lp3.jpg

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Patience !!! - It was Sunday yesterday - Day of rest ( from internet )

Love the pics - great followon from Autumn Watch last week - My daughter now wants to go watch the Deer in the Phoenix Park having thier domestic todo's !

( and look for disgarded antlers in the spring ! )

Regs

Loz

ps - That fungus edible ? - Loads of them in P Park - plate size approx 8 inches across.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Great pics. That's what I call a stag party.

Was up at Forsinard in the far north of Scotland last week, and the stags were roaring. I stayed off the hill for fear of accidentally disrupting the stalking, but there were plenty of red deer about a mile from the road and they could be seen clearly with the telescope. A lot of parallel walking and occasional head to head encounters. Some of the stags were almost black with peat.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
loz. said:
Patience !!! - It was Sunday yesterday - Day of rest ( from internet )

Love the pics - great followon from Autumn Watch last week - My daughter now wants to go watch the Deer in the Phoenix Park having thier domestic todo's !

( and look for disgarded antlers in the spring ! )

Regs

Loz

ps - That fungus edible ? - Loads of them in P Park - plate size approx 8 inches across.

Haha yes, I forget that others forgo the interweb on a Sunday.

Yes, that fungus is edible, best to pick when its young and the cap is just opening up (like an umbrella). I had some on toast, quite tasty.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Lovely photo's.......Amazing all that is so close to all that traffic and madness of london.
I like the second photo, with the doe's eating, what looks like stones off the path, rather than the grass............ :confused:

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Yeah, not sure what they were eating, there were a lot of chestnuts on the floor around the place, maybe they were sniffing around for them

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
dommyracer said:

Now that is a handsome fellah, deer are my favourite animals and that is a fantastic shot. After missing Autumn Watch tonight due to dodgy reception, this picture has cheered me right up. Many thanks!

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Its only taken with a digital compact, cropped and tidied up a bit in photoshop. Lucky at Richmond that you can get pretty close to them.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Hi dommyracer
Just caught up with this thread. Love the pictures. I imagine that even though they are more used to humans that it must be quite exhilerating to stand next to such a beast.
I must try and get down that way some time.

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
I used to live on the 10th floor of one of the Tower Blocks at the Roehampton end of the Park.

The best thing about it, was getting up at Sunrise and going out onto the balcony with my binoculars and a cuppa, then settling down to watch the Deer Herds moving around in the early morning mist, before the Park gates were opened to traffic.

The tranquil peace would then be shattered by the flock of Green Parakeets that lived in the tree below me waking up!! :D

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Haha nice one Bogflogger.

It was quite odd actually, because the park 'shuts' at dusk (this means they shut the gates that vehicles can drive through), and most people go there by car, it gets quite empty of people quite quickly. The deer definitely know this and come out in force.

I'd love to stay in there overnight, just to observe what went on.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
That is a beautiful example of a true 12 pointer Red Stag almost looks like he has a 'Royal' head as well ;) . Parks may be the only opportunity we have to see true pure bred Red's in the future as they are hybridising in the wild with the Sika and slowly but surely losing their identity :(

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Silverback said:
That is a beautiful example of a true 12 pointer Red Stag almost looks like he has a 'Royal' head as well ;) . Parks may be the only opportunity we have to see true pure bred Red's in the future as they are hybridising in the wild with the Sika and slowly but surely losing their identity :(

Some of the Scottish islands still have pure Red deer. As you say Sika genes are spreading throughout the mainland population. Having said that here in Perthshire our Reds still look like red deer, rather than hybrids.

H

halo

hi all on a lighter note doe's anyone else think the log in front of the debris shelter looks like a pig ready for roasting :D :lmao:

great pics dommyracer

halo

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
So impressed was i at dommyracer's post that i have just visited the park for the first time.
Well for such a huge place i sure found it difficult to find an entrance once travelling the slow, windy and generally nasty south circular. But find it i did and was extremely impressed at the amount of parking and facilities which were all free.

Being a Saturday i thought there would be more people although i had to chuckle at all the different groups. serious cycle clubs. rugga players. groups of numbered runners, golfers etc etc.

Richmond is an extremely expensive area to buy in and it's obvious that the locals use this park to it's full potential, Ok?...YA! :lmao:
Anyway, i set off across a huge padock insearch of his majesty and only had to walk but 500 meters before i saw a herd of maybe 30 red deer accompanied by 5 or 6 stags all roaring. I have never actually seen a stag before and although i thought they were slightly taller i was suitably impressed.

I made my way into a sweet chestnut wood of about 3 acres and found a fallen tree to sit and eat my packed lunch. More the tourist than the green man with my coffee flask and crisps although today was a recce and i'm not altogether sure i wouldn't have been arrested for setting up a meths burner or similar.
Saying that though there does seem to be some good remote woodland where more bushy activities can be pursued.

One thing that amazed me was the ground!, it was possitively jumping with falling horse chestnuts. Guessing where the next explosion might be and generally keeping my head down entertained me for a good half hour. Whilst i picked a pocketfull of nuts that were lying around.
There are signs asking people not to take them as they are an important winter food for the deer hence no hoarding them. I know naughty boy!, but i figured i deserved them after being pepperd from above for so long.

Generally the woods have an open, magical feel to them and one could easily feel safe, snug and quite at home due to the open forest floor. There are fallen branches and dead standing mixed with oak and horse chestnut. i must have counted 5 different mushrooms which i was hopeless at identifying even with my book. Most of them were parasols ranging from 3 inches to 8 inches in diameter and several colonies of what i think was wood blewit sprouting from the base of trees.

I found myself a handfull of different sized acorn cups and realised the full potential of the whistle it produces :D Whilst i conversed with a dark bird ( raven maybe ) in a series of whistles which was fun. The acorn cup sounds just like him although slightly more shrill, it must have thought i was ill.
Also found some dry cramp balls and was astounded at how easily they will catch a spark from firesteel, so i bought a handful home.

In all i would thoroughly reccomend a visit to Richmond park if you are within a sensible driving distance, i will be going again for sure.
I was desperatley hoping to find my own antlers but the place is so vast and i have no idea where or when to look. Any pointers?

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Antlers are cast April to early May. Mature Stags cast earler than younger males. You need to be quick if you want to find any, as all manner of rodents like nothing more than a good chew on some antlers and the deer themselves will gnaw at them, presumably for some sort of mineral nourishment.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE