The Rules Of Bushcraft!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
So... What "rules" do you know in bushcraft?? I know this which is used by DK SAS:
1. Use your eyes.
2. Save your energy
3. Use your imagination (improvise).
:wink:

It's actually 3 rules used in survival, but I guess they can have some relevance to bushcraft also! :D :biggthump

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Ok, sorry TheViking... it's an interesting thread... I didn't mean to de-rail it.

Well, I think the panic bit is a little more survival rather than bushcraft.

I would say the following would be right up there:

1. Leave nothing but footprints (Or failed spoons) and take nothing but photos (Or successful spoons).

2. Be careful and take your time, bushcraft can turn survival in a hurry... so get good at making spoons!

3. Enjoy yourself, do not be confined by other peoples preconceptions, If you want to pitch a tarp and read a book for an afternoon without making a spoon, just do it. Bushcraft is a state of mind.

4. If you see a walker in a day-glo pink rain coat walking their dog and they're not carrying little plastic bags with them... Hide in a bush and put some leaves in your hair, some mud on your face and then at the right moment. Leap out at them making grunting/yelling noises and smell their elbows whilst acting in a threatening manner holding a spoon.

5. Be comfortable, most of us can get by without the necessities of life if we have a few of the luxuries. You can go without a spoon or even a knife if you have a small flask of JD with you.

6. A spoon is for life, not just for Christmas.

Joe

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
If lost, bring out a pack of playing cards and begin to play "Patience" [AKA "Solitaire"]. Someone will come along and tell you to play the red seven on the black eight. Ask them for directions.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Most important bushcraft rule IMHO: Have fun! (if not you're doing it wrong! :wink:)

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Squidders said:
4. If you see a walker in a day-glo pink rain coat walking their dog and they're not carrying little plastic bags with them... Hide in a bush and put some leaves in your hair, some mud on your face and then at the right moment. Leap out at them making grunting/yelling noises and smell their elbows whilst acting in a threatening manner holding a spoon.

Hahahahah Squidders!!!..... And they call ME mad !! :yikes:

1. Have a low impact on your environment
2. know the flora and fauna around you and it's uses
3. Relax
4. Use your senses
5. See above quote :You_Rock_

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I'd say, have fun and go at it with a sense of adventure!

G

Ginja

Funnily enough, I find the 'Green Cross Code' working well here ... STOP, LOOK, LISTEN.

I also like the old KISS principle - Keep It Simple, Stupid

Also - and this is kind of irrelavent (and meant to be humorous!) - just noticed that RovingArcher's list of tips has an unusual acronym:

Safety
Understanding
Common sense
Knowledge
Awareness
Respect

(SUCKAR!)

Guess if you follow these rules you don't get suckar'd!

Sorry - I have a habit of noticing trivial stuff like this ...

G :)

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
:lol: Yep it was intentional and meant to be on the comical side.

The rules that I listed are those that apply in all aspects of my life, but if I had to choose only one to live by, it would be respect. Especially where the land and those living things that live upon the land are concerned. It's a great beginning to any long lasting relationship.

G

Ginja

Good point - I would certainly agree on 'respect' as being a golden rule, if not THE golden rule ... guess this is where all bushcraft has its roots after all.

All too easy, sometimes, to get engrossed in the latest gadget, the sharpest knife, the best waterproofs, etc and end up being too over-reliant and over-confident on 'things' rather than 'thoughts'.

Not trying to be overly philosophical here! But a healthy respect for one's environment at every level helps to ensure that you're able to make the best of it ... and be better prepared for the worst (regardless of what's in yer kit bag).

G

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
this thread is just too tempting

if it works you are probably doing it right

if someone chases you off the land with a shotgun you probably did something wrong

dirt is a natural product, get over it

rain .....ditto

bugs....ditto

at some point you may be required to kill something for supper. (this grisly fact has been cleverly concealed by supermarket chains for years) anyone not prepared to deal with this fact may not enjoy bushcraft much

bushcraft involves sharp knives, hot fires, pointy sticks, dirt rain and bugs. Safety goggles are not really considered an adequate substitute for common sense.

and lastly

WARNING: Bushcraft is highly addictive. If you are worried about your bushcrafting addiction please visit your local supermarket immediately and reassure yourself that there are no bugs, dirt, rain, etc in the "real world"

:wink: Tant

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE