The Royal Fair

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I probably have the name wrong but I learned of it on a television travel program. Whatever the name was, it was in South Wales, or at least I think it was. But the thing that caught me eye that I thought would be relevant here was a chopping competition. I didn't know that sort of thing ever took place in the UK.

There were other unusual events shown, including pole climbing but the chopping was interesting. For one thing, the log was held in a clamp and was fairly high, perhaps waist high. There was a foresty school at the university I attended and they also had similiar competitions. I don't recall the logs being vertical in a clamp, however. There was another chopping contest in which the object was to cut a pole so it would fall on a stake. Felling for accuracy, in other words.

Not exactly bushcraft perhaps, but something to do with your axe.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Don't think it is the same one but there was a competition involving axes and tree climbing in betsw-y-coed last year when was passing through. Only got to see them packing up so don't know the details of what was happening, one of the locals might be able to help more.

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
What you saw was the Royal Welsh show which is held in mid Wales. They have two 100ft pole for climbingg.
There are a number of axe racing teams in the UK .With alsorts of competions with axe and double hand saw. Most axes are brought in from NZ or Aus where it is more popular. In North Wales (St.Asaph ) they have an event called Woodfest which has Poles 70ft high.
So yes it does happen here in the UK
Hope this helps :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Blue,
Try a web search for something like RWAS.com or .co.uk (Royal Welsh Agricultural Society) I went on the second day and had a very good time there. The poles are a permanent feature of the grounds and very distinctive. Saw some of the pole and chopping competitions, WOW those axes are sharp with a capital ouch!

ATB

Ogri the trog

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I had the opportunity to fell 12 large telegraph poles that were dug into the ground in Canada; they needed to be dropped in a herringbone pattern across a track to impede the approach of the enemy.

I obviously used explosive cutting charges to cut the poles and to fell the poles in the correct direction!!!

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
spamel said:
I had the opportunity to fell 12 large telegraph poles that were dug into the ground in Canada; they needed to be dropped in a herringbone pattern across a track to impede the approach of the enemy.

I obviously used explosive cutting charges to cut the poles and to fell the poles in the correct direction!!!
I remember my old QMSI's lighting up when someone asked him to help fell some tree's along a track!
It was on a private estate we "borrowed" for exersize occasionally.
He was ordering the bang before he left the site!

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
My opinion of the United Kingdom is going up every day.

These logging competitions are interesting, not that they necessarily have much to do with logging. I was a forestry major as a freshman but it took three years of the army to figure out I might do better at something else. But anyway, forestry majors would always have to buy an axe sooner or later. I don't remember if "competition" axes were around yet but I never bought one. The only axe I have is a Hudson's Bay camper's axe. Provided you keep it sharp it will cut through any tree but it takes more work. Hard on the hands if you aren't used to it, though.

Aside from the chopping, the crosscut saw and pole climbing there were a few other forestry and logging industry related events. Let's see, there was rope climbing and tobacco spitting and one or two more I don't remember just now.

By the way, my son is serving in a tank crew in the (U.S.) 1st Armored Division and disputes the claim that any tree, standing or otherwise, will impede their advance.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE