The Revenant. Movie firecraft fact or fiction?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Great little tutorial there! I've not seen the film yet but it looks great so I'll have to give it a watch soon. Looked a fun way to get a fire going and as the others have said I'd love a go myself if I ever get the chance :).

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Done by Dave Canterbury as well after watching the film (Good film BTW) and RM says it's quite accurate in a interview I saw somewhere
Here's DC making the Revenant Striker

[video=youtube;0M-2wCglU9o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M-2wCglU9o[/video]

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Dry mixed BP powder components is 'meal' powder' which burns in a very inconsistent manner.
Pyrodex, real BP and smokeless propellants all have very carefully controlled particle size = predictable burn rate.
As a water/alcohol paste, that is forced through a screen for sizing and allowed to dry as Black Powder.
Smokeless and Pyrodex look extruded and cut to me.

It's a surface area/volume issue. Cannon BP is pea-size or bigger for commercial fireworks shells 8-12" in diameter.
Clearly, it has to 'push' rather than simply go 'bang'. Lifting a 12" shell to 1,200' for ignition takes a lot of push.

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
Done by Dave Canterbury as well after watching the film (Good film BTW) and RM says it's quite accurate in a interview I saw somewhere
Here's DC making the Revenant Striker

[video=youtube;0M-2wCglU9o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M-2wCglU9o[/video]

I don't think at counts as actually doing it. Within that video he did make a striker but didn't actually use it to start a fire. I believe in maybe 2013 he started a fire using flint and steel plus powder but that was with cedar bark and other materials brought into the field with him. Odds are he didn't find that rock nor knapp (my word for smash LOL!) it seconds before use in the field. Also did not use the tinder that was employed within the movie, dead grass foraged moments before. Cedar bark is worlds better than grass. God I love cedar bark!

Walking into the woods with just the carbon steel and powder with nothing more like I did is an entirely different thing than what DC did even if you combine both videos which are years apart. That said I believe he has the skills to do it as I am a just goofy goober. On a side note I believe there was a debate between the historical consultant and director. The historical person wanted to use an oval type striker as would have been the case if this actually happened however the director wanted something everyone could relate to so decided on a fork. Odds are they never packed a hardened high carbon steel fork back in the day given the cost of the material but then again wasn't there on all counts.

Also RM rules! :)

Thanks for looking brother!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE