The return of the flaming torch

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi All
finally got to try one of the peasant mob torches I made a while back as I had a lot of garden waste to burn out back.

Mk3Torch_zps08181d2f.jpg

this one was made from a piece of willow with with the remains of the hoof pine tar painted on as I wrapped cotton sheet ripped into strip around it.

Despite me poking it into bonfire repeatedly it burned for 35 mins before the wood bellow the head burned through. I'm pretty sure if I'd just used it for light it would have burned for at least a hour.

it gave off a fair bit of light and much to my surprise did not drip burning tar at all! I had bound the head with thin wire but as the cloth burned through it fell off and it made no difference, no dripping and no falling bits of cloth unless I really waved it about and banged it on something. Ill definitely be making more like this when I can get some more cheap pine tar. I'm not in a position to make my own at the moment.

atb

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've two more to try, one with cotton sash cord coated in the hoof tar with lots of fence staples hammered in (I suspect it will drip at first as I was rather liberal with the tar) and one dipped in raw beeswax which I've no idea how it will perform.

to be honest I was rather chuffed with how well the first one worked!

atb

Tom

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hmmm with the pitchfork and that torch you could chase Lurch around the village
images
:yikes: He may charge you more next time you buy something off him though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE