The Professional Tengu

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
(Oh, you are saying, shes had a good preen.)

My Conference workshop went well, in spite of my slot being last hour of the last day...(stop laughing)

I now need to think more on my professional development.

Should I get a linkedin account?

I would like to write up my workshop on a Blog, perhaps...any suggestions?

For once in my life I will be breaking a major rule of mine...to never use my real name online!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
So very pleased for you :D and it must be a real boost to your self confidence too.

I have no idea on the rest of your query though, I am so out of touch with all that kind of thing.
Bound to be others with good advice though :)

atb,
M

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
My wife, son and several colleagues were on LinkedIn. Wife and son have unlinked following hacking of colleagues account. Security may have improved though. Check and consult others.

As to being the last slot on the last day, that is known as a finale. The best is always saved till last!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have had a LinkedIn profile for ten years and had no problems at all. It is a useful forum to make and maintain business contacts and to (gently) advertise your capabilities. But, try to resist just building up a huge list of people that you have never met or done business with.

I'm afraid that if you sell your professional capabilities there's no real option these days than to put your contact details on line; if they can't contact you they can't contract you.

As for a blog, is that the best way to promote your capabilities? I don't know because I don't know what you do or what is the norm for your industry. Have a good look at what successful people that do what you want to do (competitors) are doing first.

Just a few thoughts.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I have a linked in presence. Not someth8ng I have found terribly useful but I know others use it a lot. My colleagues in recruiting use it all the time to help verify CVs etc.

So I suggest if your looking to get contracts in the academic field a presence is essential.

Building a reputation that’s a lot of time and effort but will pay dividends long term.

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
I have linked in, nearly all my colleagues do. I have had job offers, interviews all created through it. I'd say its worth it, you can create content, articles etc so might be worth using that instead of a blog and keep your content together.
Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE