The poacher. fireside musings from wiltshire.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I DEMAND AN APPOLOGY AND RETRACTION OF YOU MISINFORMED POST OR I SHALL BE CONTACTING BUSHCRAFT UK ABOUT THIS SLANDER AND DEFORMATION OF CHARACTER ON THEIR FORUM.
YOU SHOULD READ JACKS SHED FORUMS RULES ON POSTING MAYBE THEN YOU WOULD BE BETTER INFORMED.
Before you throw your toys out of the pram, you original post is in praise of poaching. Right or wrong, poaching is illegal.
I was under the impression we weren't supposed to encourage illegal activity on the website. And please don't shout at me.

Forked_Stick

Feb 27, 2008
Earth / USA / New York
Im not sure about the rules over there, but here in the states, it is illegal to trap game in anything other then an approved trap. Which means that all of the traps, snares, and deadfalls that we discuss for survival are illegal (even to practice) unless you are in a survival situation (it is also illegal to purposely put yourself into a survival situation)

As was stated, here in the US, being called a poacher is one of the worst things you can be accused of for a woodsman. I have found probably hundreds of whitetail deer carcasses that were shot out of season, the racks & feat are cut off, maybe the tenderloins are cut out...but the rest is left to rot. That is the worst form of poaching here. We also get the guys who take game out of season, set out bait piles (legal in some areas) or "jack" deer by going out at night and shining lights in their eyes before they shoot them...they are poachers as well.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Different country, different ethos.

In the UK taking one for the pot under the nose of landowners and baillies was considered to be a skillful endeavour.
The penalties for being caught ranged from transportation to the colonies to heavy fines and eviction.
Poachers were considered to be highly skilled and made strenuous efforts not to leave any trace, otherwise their activities would be noticed and the area policed by bailiffs and the like.

cheers,
Toddy

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Different country, different ethos.

In the UK taking one for the pot under the nose of landowners and baillies was considered to be a skillful endeavour.
The penalties for being caught ranged from transportation to the colonies to heavy fines and eviction.
Poachers were considered to be highly skilled and made strenuous efforts not to leave any trace, otherwise their activities would be noticed and the area policed by bailiffs and the like.

cheers,
Toddy

wished it was still like that toddy, as i'd give myself up and be willingly shipped off to the colonies,to old now to emigrate, but i do intend to move up your end when the children have flown the nest,for some wilderness,

bernie

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
As was stated, here in the US, being called a poacher is one of the worst things you can be accused of for a woodsman. I have found probably hundreds of whitetail deer carcasses that were shot out of season, the racks & feat are cut off, maybe the tenderloins are cut out...but the rest is left to rot. That is the worst form of poaching here. We also get the guys who take game out of season, set out bait piles (legal in some areas) or "jack" deer by going out at night and shining lights in their eyes before they shoot them...they are poachers as well.

Leaving food to rot is in my opinion one of the worst things you can do, along with large scale poisoning and leaving traps unattended for a while.

Poaching involving a couple of trout, or a salmon, or a rabbit/hare, a few pheasants, or a deer, I can sympathise with if it's all used.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one here that shares this sentiment. A bit of common sense prevails.

There was no slander nor defamation in my post, it was a simple clear expression of fact based on a observation over a period of time. People are free to explore and make their own informed minds up if they look for themselves.

Poaching and the celebration of it and it's association with bushcraft, will only give law abiding bushcrafters a bad name and the perception of "bushcraft" could be tarnished and have negative consequences for all.

Well your post was slanderous to me, i cant find any illegal posts on there. and whats wrong with our glorious past.next you'll be bleating on about our famous pirates.and how illegal they were/

bernie

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well they were, even if they did have a licence from the King of Scots :( One of my ancestors was a pirate on the Forth, he got caught by the English and was hung despite having a legal right to do as he did......ah but Jamie Six wanted an English throne too.....

Okay, way off topic.

To return to the conversation at hand....my local poachers are actually allowed to do the hunting they do, nowadays they have permission, act as beaters, join angling clubs and all the rest.

Promotion of any illegal activity is not to be condoned on the forum. That's the official line and we'll stick to it, won't we? :approve:

I don't think this thread really shows us at our best, if does clearly show the divides though.
I think it has reached the circular argument stage.
I'm going to close it now, hope everyone draws a deep breath, and moves along maybe with a wee think about respect, reasons for hunting seasons, leave no waste or trace and age old skills.

Regards,
Toddy

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
FYI - I was contacted by a member about this thread - This thread has moderated posts in case legal action regarding slander (One member and another) is forthcoming :argue: :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE