The peanut Gallery

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cottonwoodroot

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2014
Prince Rupert
Hey Folks,
Wanted to get your opinions on something I have encountered tons when trying to teach primitive fire lighting skills. There is almost always an interested individual or two in any given crowd. As often however, there seems to be an accompanying self styled comedian who takes it upon themselves to taint a fantastic moment for an enthusiastic individual. What is mot annoying is the tendency of the heckler to think they are being original.
For example, a very common, and frustrating comment that is often made while a learner is struggling with the bow drill is "I have a lighter if you would like!!" or "why don't you use some gasoline!!". Another famous one that I have heard at least a dozen times "didn't you bring any matches".
I realize that some of these comments are an attempt at good natured humor, but I have come to realize that many of them are not. Often times the learner winds up feeling silly, self conscious, and quits before they experience that glorious moment of creating fire without the assistance of modern technology.
Anyone else ever experience something similar? If so, any good one liners, zingers, or comebacks that you have used to put the heckler in his place, without coming off as a jerk?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ask the heckler to demonstrate his method..... thereby demonstrating that any idiot can light a fire with a match ;)

I would give them one match and ask them to try ;) Much harder than most folk realise, never mind bow drill.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
The one match is definitely an eye opener, sadly I can't think of any verbal retort that would not express my annoyance and make me be the bad guy, shame too because that first bowdrill ember is a great feeling, same with any first friction fire the first success is an amazing motivator, when i was taught I was on a course but I was unable to get success with the bowdrill and wore myself blue in the face with all effort and little technique until my arms were aching, i did manage a flint and pyrite to char cloth to tinder fire and as the smoke turned to flames I realised that this was the first real fire i'd ever lit in my life and it really spurred me on to come home and make sure i got good with a bowdrill kit, if someone had been taking the mickey as i was trying that might not have happened so i wish i could think of a decent one liner comeback for you, gonna think on it with my remaining working braincell

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... Wanted to get your opinions on something I have encountered tons when trying to teach primitive fire lighting skills. There is almost always an interested individual or two in any given crowd. As often however, there seems to be an accompanying self styled comedian who takes it upon themselves to taint a fantastic moment for an enthusiastic individual. What is mot annoying is the tendency of the heckler to think they are being original. ...

My opinion is that you worry too much. You said yourself you're trying to teach, but you haven't said who you're trying to teach, nor why. If there's a comedian, maybe he just isn't interested. There are comedians everywhere and whether he's interested or not isn't really your concern.

There's no reason for you to be annoyed unless he comes up and throws a bucket of water on your kit.

Chill. :)

cottonwoodroot

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2014
Prince Rupert
My opinion is that you worry too much. You said yourself you're trying to teach, but you haven't said who you're trying to teach, nor why. If there's a comedian, maybe he just isn't interested. There are comedians everywhere and whether he's interested or not isn't really your concern.

There's no reason for you to be annoyed unless he comes up and throws a bucket of water on your kit.

Chill. :)

I have tried to bring myself to the same place. Unfortunately, "just get over it" doesn't seem to be to helpful to me or my student. I mentioned in the earlier part of the thread that I have seen students quit trying because of being heckled. Although I may indeed worry to much, others seem to as well and it gets in the way of learning.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Just being honest man, exactly how it happened, if Patrick Mcglinchey see's this thread he could confirm how blue in the face i was muttering and swearing at myself under my breath about needing better technique and to build some muscle memory of the action before i would get success

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Before starting the fire skills get everyone to collect stuff to make a fire each and give them all ten minutes to do it, gather them all and give each a single match, when only one in ten of them get any sort of fire the importance of other techniques is evident to anyone with half a brain, worked on me as my single match went out after 20 seconds and mine was alight the longest from our group :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE