The Pacific Crest Trail - timelapse

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Obviously a fun hike and perhaps a great diet too. :)

"...Andy Davidhazy hiked 2600 miles from Mexico to Canada on the Pacific Crest Trail. He took a selfie every mile, and here's a time-lapse of all 2600 of them..."

[video=youtube;xyo8OIp7aHM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=38&v=xyo8OIp7aHM[/video]

Thanks to boing boing for the link.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
It did him good..he looked 10 years younger after!

I haven't walked the Pacific Crest trail but have wandered along some similarly long routes elsewhere in the world and can confirm that one does lose quite a bit of weight, and generally arrive at the end with a sense of being younger both in mind and body.

At the end of one particularly long walk I moved house and changed GP, which entailed having a wee medical. I recall the nurse checking my blood pressure three times just to check that it was as low as the machine suggested. :)

Edited to add:

Walking a long distance on this kind of multi-week trek can also do odd things to how one experiences the environment around you. I have found on my return to the 'real' world that I have had a very accurate intuition as to what the weather will hold for the coming days and my ability to judge distances and walking times was also extremely accurate. :)

Last edited:
The West Coast Trail does look fantastic. :)

I went in for weeks in the early 70's. Now is it hugely crowded of course and so I live further north on the coast. Gosh how time flies - soon 50 years here!

Basically the coast, the coast mountains and the Rockies where Robson lives are absolutely gob-smacking! I believe that is the British term. After seeing my 80 year old sister who lived in BC for a while in her 20's but who had never seen the Rockies from the ground before, react. I think that's a good term.

Up here of course, there are no huge sandy beaches like down south - except on Haida Gwai, but my grand-daughter liked to bathe in a waterfall falling over a cliff onto the beach just as I once did at Tusiat falls on the WCT. She wore a bathing suit of course unlike most of the people at Tusiat.. We ate some crab here from well down-channel (safer), but back in the day I went over the Nitinat Narrows in a dugout, and they sold huge crabs for $2 as I remember. We camped a long time at Clo-oose, the mid-point of the trail since a storm had pushed fishing boats in and we could get a coho salmon for $2 too. I still remember paddling out to a boat in a dugout and banging on the side with the paddle. Then I asked to buy some. I was pretty green then so I wasn't sure just how big a coho might be, so $20 worth or ten. Back then it was an insult to cheat some-one so the fisherman gave me 13 as I recall, so we had over a hundred pounds of fish being plank cooked on the beach! Other hikers thought they had found manner from heaven and free lunch all packed into one!

It really is all another totally different world here - all of Canada and the US. My sister saw a couple of hour's worth of driving across flat prairie and loved it. she loved it better when I told her that if we had driven east then we'd have gone better than a day through it. But the Rockies really staggered her.
they still do that to me and everyone.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
OldJimbo and I live in a very strange part of the world. Since it is so geologically recent, nothing much but water, rock and trees.
Clay flatlands in the wide valley bottoms. I invite you all to fly along with us using Google Earth, I can even find my garden shed!

South and East of the city of Prince George is the Bowron Lakes chain = almost a 4-sided canoe trip.
So popular now, you need to make reservations. Not much of a wilderness experience any more.
The portages are nauseating (nice word, that) after a few hot days.

This is the Holmes. Don't get enthused to canoe this one. It will kill you.

HolmesAs_zps0156a204.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE