The original, the modern and the post-modern; also, a book review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Atellus

Jul 15, 2007
Warrington, Cheshire
I have a copy of 'How to Survive' by Brian Hildreth (Penguin, 1976) which I liberated from my Dad's book shelves many years ago. So far this book, and a copy of Wild Food (Mssrs. Mears and Hillman), constitute my entire bushcraft library, unless you want to count a book on sailing and navigation and one or two on knots.

A search of the forum reveals no detailed comments on this title, so I feel free to ask: what is the general opinion of this work?

It seems to me, at this tender stage in my understanding, that one can divide the body of bushcraft into two highly generalised camps. The first is the original, or what you could call aboriginal or "original" body of knowledge that remains contiguous with it's forebears and original developers thanks to being passed down the generations.

The second is the reinvented body of knowledge which one could call "modern" bushcraft, which has been devised and developed at need and based on the bitter experiences of modern, usually western individuals who suddenly find themselves without electricity and central heating, often in times of war.

A third category could exist which we might call the post-modern, which would refer to the synthesis of the above.

With this in mind, it occurred to me that aspects of How to Survive might be out of date by "modern" bushcraft standards. Certainly, any medical information in there could have been rendered inaccurate by more recent studies, but what about other aspects?

Hildreth also wrote the New Zealand Air Force Survival Handbook, a copy of which I can't find available online. The question is, did he write this using modern, reinvented bushcraft knowledge, or did he draw from native sources as well (which would mean he'd written a post-modern work!)

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
'How to Survive' by Brian Hildreth was the first bushcraft / outdoor book that I ever bought. Strangely enough, it was from a primary school book club when I was 9 or 10.
I learned loads from it, and these days think of it as a condensed version of Lofty Wiseman's SAS Survival Handbook.
It may seem a bit old fashioned these days, but if you know all of the skills in the book and practise them, then you won't go far wrong.

I'm going to have a hunt around in my Dad's loft to see if I can find my copy.

Cheers, Michael.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hildreth also wrote the New Zealand Air Force Survival Handbook, a copy of which I can't find available online. The question is, did he write this using modern, reinvented bushcraft knowledge, or did he draw from native sources as well (which would mean he'd written a post-modern work!)

Hi,

Hildreth did write the RNZAF Survival manual which was relased to the public as 'How to Survive in the Bush on the Coast in the Mountains of New Zealand' in 1962

Here it is below along with 2 other 'good' books for NZ survival...

DSCF0001.jpg

This copy dates from the 5th reprinting in about 1970. Having read it a couple of times I'd say it's as relavent today as it was back in 1962. It's geared soley towards NZ and the Flora and Fauna, conditions and climate we have here. Which is nice as other books I have tend to offer techniques for a variety of terrain types for Jungle to Desert and everything in between..

The work is a combination of good Kiwi Bush knowlege which has it's roots in traditional practices of Maori and the early NZ pioneers, and 'modern' techniques.

So based on your parameters it would meet the criteria for 'post-modern'.

If your having trouble locating a copy PM me and I can see if I can help.

It's a relatively common work found in second hand book shops etc...

Cheers

John

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Interesting grouping of survival/bushcraft skills.

I believe that the emergence of 'bushcraft' from the umbrella of 'survival' has been a fairly recent thing for the community. Whilst there have been a small number of people practicing elements of what we now call bushcraft for some considerable time, it is only in the last 10 years or so that 'bushcraft' has become a more widely known and popular name for what we do.

Indeed, I would argue that survival is now starting to become a subset of bushcraft, rather than the other way round.

I still have a battered old copy of the Hildreth book that I've had since my early teens. The info contained is, whilst quite 'dry', still as relevant today as it was then; mainly because it covers the basics which just don't change. For example, navigation, signaling, traps, shelter, cooking, etc. I have a book called 'The Jungle Hiker' that was issued to military personnel serving in Asia in WWII, which is all about jungle survival. Now, there are a few complete inaccuracies but these were not known at the time. Largely, though, the book still has value as much of the material was taken from the native populations who had been living there for hundreds - if not thousands - of years. Although you could argue that the addition of GPS has changed navigation and the mobile phone has changed signaling - the principles are still the same I think. I also see it as extremely rare for a new 'survival technique' to be found. The equipment may change/improve but the techniques and underlying principles remain the same. So, to answer your question, the Hildreth book is fine but other books do some of it better (better photos, diagrams, explanations).

As an aside, I have noticed a progressive 'dumbing down' of map and compass navigation in bushcraft and survival books, where only the very basics are glossed over quickly on the way to talking about the latest GPS systems. I think this is indicative of writing for an audience that don't want to be challenged by something with a bit of maths in it!
:Thinkingo

I'm not sure I'd agree with your second category. I don't really understand how the emergency response aspects would have developed a new set of techniques/skills? Is this not more of a necessity situation where the ability to carve a spoon is less valuable than the ability to plan ahead by reading the situation and ensuring that basic food and equipment requirements are available? Indeed, there is no requirement for bushcraft knowledge in disaster preparedness, in my opinion.

Probably my own personal favourite text on 'disaster preparedness' (which I think covers your second category) is the humorous, honest and readable 'When All Hell Breaks Loose' by Cody Lundin. Look past the pithy title for an immensely interesting book and a refreshing, 'no bulls**t' take on the subject.

If we were to draw a Venn diagram of Disaster Preparedness, Survival and Bushcraft, I think that we'd have something more like this:

2q9fksg.jpg

Ha - 'Venn Bushcraft'! Like 'Zen Bushcraft'? No? Suit yourselves... :rolleyes:

I would also say that the third, 'Post-Modern' category could be described as bushcraft and survival techniques, packaged with modern technology and equipment, to be more palatable for today's modern audience. For example, bushcraft books talking about the use of GPS, discussing the merits of various modern equipment, etc. This caters for the majority of 'bushcrafters' who want to experience the satisfaction of living in the outdoors, using a camp fire, but carrying their stuff in a modern backpack, using a firesteel as opposed to a flint and steel, having a back-up camping stove, living in a tent/tarp/hammock rather than in a natural shelter, and wearing modern fabrics to stay warmer and dryer.

Finally, the word 'bushcraft' is beginning to define an industry. Look at the massive increase in books, equipment, schools, web forums (!), TV programmes, DVDs, videos, etc, that are available. Just enter 'bushcraft' into eBay or Google and you'll see what I mean. Perhaps it is the combination of bushcraft as an industry, and bushcraft packaged for the modern audience that actually fits the Post-Modern category?

Nice to talk about something cerebral/philosophical for a change, rather than the usual 'What's the best ....?' type question.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Finally, the word 'bushcraft' is beginning to define an industry. Look at the massive increase in books, equipment, schools, web forums (!), TV programmes, DVDs, videos, etc, that are available. Just enter 'bushcraft' into eBay or Google and you'll see what I mean. Perhaps it is the combination of bushcraft as an industry, and bushcraft packaged for the modern audience that actually fits the Post-Modern category?

Nice to talk about something cerebral/philosophical for a change, rather than the usual 'What's the best ....?' type question.

Hi Mikey,

I'm not sure I understand what defines 'Bushcraft' as far as the UK goes? Here in NZ I feel more confident of it's definition.

I know the topic of 'What is Bushcraft?' has been done to death on the forum over the years and I'm not trying define it here. But your Venn Diagram could equally have subsets in it for Hiking,Mountaineering, Open Canoeing etc etc.... as well as survival.

I think your summation of 'Bushcraft as an Industry' is a very good one.

Cheers

John

Atellus

Jul 15, 2007
Warrington, Cheshire
Thanks for the thoughts, Mikey.

So, my original premise comprised three categories:

1. Aboriginal (original bushcraft passed down the generations)
2. Modern (modern re-invention of those parts of 1. pertaining to emergency survival)
3. Post-modern (combination of 1. and 2.)

This is how I interpret your comments modifying the above:

1. Aboriginal
- no change

2. Modern - composed almost entirely of emergency survival skills and disaster preparedness, based almost entirely around the utilisation of modern materials and equipment (e.g. a modern steel knife blade, water bottles, modern fabrics and other left-over materials... anything in fact that a WWII pilot or infantryman might have on or about his person when he finds himself stranded on a pacific island or lost in the jungle).

3. Post-modern - summarised thus:
Bushcraft + Survival + Gadgets + Retail & Tourism Industry​

While glancing back through a couple of threads I started in 2007 during my first visit here (always good to check you're not asking the same thing twice!) I noticed the following quote which could nicely summarise most of category 3.

As an industry...
Survival = Get the hell out ASAP
Bushcraft = Chill the hell out ASAP
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=306935#post306935

There is, as far as I can see, just one loose thread in this structure. Survival. When and how did Survival as a set of skills first come about? When defining the first three categories, I decided that Survival was part of the Modern period based on my assumption that it reached its zenith during the first 50 years of the 20th century thanks to all the interesting wars that western countries had in interesting and varied parts of the world.

As a result, Survival should be founded on the availability of at least some left-over modern materials and equipment, even this is just boots and underwear and a slightly sharp metal spoon (as noted above in the italics bit). In other words, our pilot or infantryman is not starting from the basis of a newborn aboriginal, naked and vulnerable and having to manufacture absolutely everything from scratch. So let's call this Modern Survival. Why? Because Modern Survival isn't the loose thread in this structure. I think that Aboriginal Survival is the loose thread.

Category 1a. Aboriginal Survival. Emergency survival skills for ape men and their upright descendants.

Because surely, even in mesolithic times, **** happens!

You might argue that this category is redundant because an aboriginal will have almost 100% transferable skills from his day-to-day life to any survival situation in the wilderness, because he lives in the wilderness in his day-to-day life! It would be, you might argue, like being lost in someone else's house. You can still recognise the light switch and the furniture and probably find the kitchen and lavatory, so you'd be fine, and so would your aboriginal.

And it would be a good point, too. But even aboriginals have tools and they have territories that they know well. These territories are functionally equivalent to your kitchen. We've all been in someone else's kitchen and had to ask where the tea caddy is kept, and which cupboard the mugs are in. Say that your aboriginal finds himself lost and alone in someone else's kitchen (perhaps his coracle foundered and he washed up on the wrong shore) with all his flints, pointy sticks and bow and arrows at the bottom.

What's the first thing that he does? Has his tribe educated him in the basics of emergency survival, just like our pilot went to survival school for a week during basic training?

If so, how might Aboriginal Survival differ from Modern Survival given that Aboriginal Survival can't assume access to left-over advanced materials like steel or goretex, or even shoe laces?

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Bushcraft + Survival + Gadgets + Retail & Tourism Industry​

Should Post Modern read?

Bushcraft + Survival + Gadgets + Retail & Tourism Industry+ Media

Media plays an important part in Post modern Bushcraft. All those TV programmes and personalities, Books and guides (Hildreth included) and electronic media such as this forum all seem to me to contribute to Post Modern Bushcraft and to a degree act as enablers and motivators.

If so, how might Aboriginal Survival differ from Modern Survival given that Aboriginal Survival can't assume access to left-over advanced materials like steel or goretex, or even shoe laces?

If I took a pre-European NZ Maori 'survivor' from a theoretical Waka capsize or something and shifted 'him' over to Southern Australia would his NZ developed skill set allow him to survive in a totally alien environment?? I think our 'survivor' would struggle greatly in very differing terrain, different materials and resources, unsusual or unknown food sources poisonous animals etc...

Cheers
John

Atellus

Jul 15, 2007
Warrington, Cheshire
Should Post Modern read?

Bushcraft + Survival + Gadgets + Retail & Tourism Industry+ Media

Media plays an important part in Post modern Bushcraft. All those TV programmes and personalities, Books and guides (Hildreth included) and electronic media such as this forum all seem to me to contribute to Post Modern Bushcraft and to a degree act as enablers and motivators.

But doesn't retail encompass the media by default? If it don't sell, it don't get printed/filmed/downloaded. TV and books are retail products along with mail order survival kits and goretex socks.

Nice point about the Maori in Aus.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
But doesn't retail encompass the media by default? If it don't sell, it don't get printed/filmed/downloaded. TV and books are retail products along with mail order survival kits and goretex socks.

Hi,

Retail to me means the sale of products or services to individuals or organizations for commercial gain.

Media in this context goes beyond flogging a few DVD's and books or making a TV programme on BBC2 it incorporates this forum and a host of others, all the 100's if not 1000's of videos on youtube, pages on facebook, blogs etc etc... most of that is done without any thought for commercial gain.

So as much as an aboriginal bushcrafter might have left mark of their exploits in rock art or carvings or a strong oratory tradition. Does the post modern bushcrafter turn to media to educate, inform and broadcast their exploits???

Cheers

John

Atellus

Jul 15, 2007
Warrington, Cheshire
Okay, so you're also referring to free media, which does move media out of the retail category.

Hi,

So as much as an aboriginal bushcrafter might have left mark of their exploits in rock art or carvings or a strong oratory tradition. Does the post modern bushcrafter turn to media to educate, inform and broadcast their exploits???

Yes, perhaps he does. The only problem with this approach is the durability of that knowledge. We can all still see and read (and, hopefully, correctly interpret) rock art and carvings, but technological obsolescence is predicted to render a vast store of current knowledge inaccessible, particularly since the advent of digital devices. There is a body of opinion which suggests that the rapid development of new media will eventually leave old media behind and we'll lose a lot of information unless we've gone to great lengths to retain it.

But going to such lengths requires that we value that information, and if Bushcraft were to recede into the shadows where it existed for most of modern history, then perhaps future generations will consider it not worth the effort and devote their resources, instead, to saving every scrap of Big Brother they can find! :eek:

The archive of the British Film Institute is a good example. They are going to great lengths to preserve information from archaic media before we lose the ability to read that media, but they won't be 100% successful and for all we know, the project may not last out the century, because this collection will need constant periodic updating every two or three decades to make it compatible with whatever comes next.

So, the danger is that the post-modern, digital-age bushcrafter's recorded knowledge is ephemeral, leading to a constant and redundant cycle of re-discovery of old knowledge (which is what I originally suggested was the second category of bushcraft development: the Modern era).

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

An interesting discussion... I'm not 100% convinced that ongoing obselecence of systems and equipment will render what is recorded and captured currently unuseable. It may but it may not.

I think a big test for Bushcraft in the UK ( and elsewhere) will be when TV grows tired of it and the genre becomes a bit stale to air on mainstream TV. At that point Bushcraft looses a major influencer. Will bushcraft have collected enough momentum to continue on? Or will it retract back to being a 'fringe' activity? Or will new 'free' media outlets such as youtube etc continue to represent it and push it??

y0dsa

Forager
Jan 17, 2008
The Danelaw
Bushcraft + Survival + Gadgets + Retail & Tourism Industry + Irony

Which in present company might be retitled titaniumy.

Sorry, I'll get my (Gore-tex) coat...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE