The Original Cook's Matches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
You might think it strange that I mention this, given my condemnation of matches in another recent thread, but here goes...

The other day, my wife bought a box of The Orignal Cook's Matches to replace a box of the same kind that we'd had for some time and that had recently run out.

I was interested to see that while the old box had contained the red-headed 'strike anywhere' kind of match and had a sandpaper striking surface, the new ones are safety matches.

Perhaps my interpretation of the Trades Description Act (1968) is defficient, but I'm not sure how both can legitimately be called 'The Original Cook's Matches'.

I remember reading somewhere (a thread on a North American forum, I think) of someone finding it increasingly difficult to find 'strike anywhere' matches. Is there some infernal health and safety motivated move to do away with non-safety matches?

Burnt Ash

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Ah, thanks Leon. Tilling over old ground. Sorry!

Looking at my old box of The Original Cook's Matches, I see that the address given is Bryant & May Ltd., High Wycombe. The address on the new box is Swedish Match UK Ltd., High Wycombe. Clearly, the old box was pretty old. :rolleyes:

But I'll stick with my original contention: matches wouldn't be my first choice for wilderness/camping firelighting and if you can get only safety matches... Well, I rest my case.

Burnt Ash

Levi

Feb 11, 2007
North Yorks.
There's about 100 boxes of strike anywhere Original Cook's Matches in my local Home Bargains. 39p a box... still didn't buy any :p

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
desert_emperor said:
Hi All,

I might be a bit outta touch but can you still buy Swan Vesta's matches nowadays???

Cheers...P
Still see them everywhere.
I think there is a bit of confusion with the "strike anywhere" label. The modern red headed match is more stable than the old type that are sold in the US as "strike anywhere". So although we can still get non safety matches in the UK they aren't as easy to strike anywhere as the old type, or the American version.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE