The New BPL-UK Pocket Stove - a solo Honey Stove???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just spotted this http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product571.asp?PageID=118 and thought you guys might be interested. It looks like Bob at BPL-UK has made another good little stove. Just wonder if it could be made out of titanium??!!

Basically it is like the honey stove when used in four sided mode but it is narrower at the top than the bottom. Guess this gives stability and a more intense burn / heating characteristics at the top where the pot is. This is kind of like the Vargo stove and others so perhaps a catch up. It is 141g which if you have the honey stove the four sides (one being the fire door) without a base the weight would be 143g. Add a foil base to it for the fire it adds a bit more. This is only for the gram weannies out there of which I guess there must be some.

I just wish Bob at BPL-UK could find a manufacturer who can make this sort of stove out of titanium. Basically if you compare the densities of Ti and steel you'd probably get a Ti version at about 85g. Add a small redbull type can stove at say 6g and esbit tabs at is it 14g each plus say small strips of hammaro and a firesteel (carried anyway no matter what stove taken) and you would have quite a useful stove kit.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Thanks for the heads up, it's a pretty little thing. Seems very similar to the American one that came out recently (can't remember the name of it and feeling too lazy to use Google-fu because it's 16.20 on a Friday afternoon), which seemed very similar, on first viewing, to a honey stove.

I agree that titanium versions of these would be great. Maybe it's just that the market for titanium goodness isn't large enough over here to justify the R&D costs.

I really like the storage tin idea. Ticks a lot of my boxes, it does. I'll leave it up to somebody else to suggest a group buy because I don't have enough time to run one at the moment.

Claudiasboris

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Heavy tin though!! ;)

I just thought that since I have the honey stove do I really need one? The only difference is this one is narrower at the top than the bottom. IIRC something like 69mm across tapering down from the base at something llke 72mm. Is that enough of a feature to warrant getting what is very close to a honey stove in 4 piece format??

BTW as a sign as to how good BP-UK are with customer service... I emailed them asking for the gap across the stove, if a standard sized can stove (like my AGG cookset can stove) fits in and if the burn height is ok. I got an email about 20 minutes later from Rose saying that Bob was updating the website with this info. It was up there before I'd finished reading the email!! I then asked another question and 20 minutes later Rose replied again!! They truly rock as online retailers, I have yet to meet any company to come close.

BTW, they are considering getting a few designs cut in titanium but due to economics they have no idea if they will make the market. I think thee will be some honey stoves, hives and pocket stoves made out of titanium but whether they make the market. I tell you what, if they don't make the market the prototypes in titanium would make an excellent competition prize for BPL-UK or perhaps BCUK If they could pursuade BPL-UK!!!!!!!!! Just an idea, it will only cost a titanium pocket stove!!!! ;) :D

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
Ti Honey/Pocket stove = shiney shiney.

Me likey!

+1 on the BPL service: "Who's this number ringing me?" I thought. It was rose making sure I'd got my order.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm waiting to see what other stoves Bob and Rose will be coming out with this year. Apparently there are some stove developments yet to come!! Keep your eyes out for them.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I think that Emberlit is much bigger than this one.

Probably quite a bit bigger going by the weight. IIRC the Emberlit is about 350g (with no case) and this one without its box is about 150g. The Emberlit is made from 0.6mm sheet which means it could have about 25% more volume for the same weight. I think there's a titanium one. :)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I got an Emberlit stove whilst in the USA recently. i got the SS one at $35 plus shipping and tax - circa $42 I think it was. It's a complete belter in my opinion (although I've only used it with a meths stove inside the hotel room so far, but bubbled up a litre of coffee in an enamel coffee pot with coffee insert in no time!). They also now do a Ti one at $65. Bushcraft USA seem to be in love with these little beauties. Mine goes together easily, flat-packs, and is rock-solid - would hold a full dutch oven easily.. The youtube videos seem to suggest that it excels as a woodburner too, and I like the idea of feeding the fire with long lengths of wood, rather than continually feeding with twigs.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well I'm very tempted myself but will hold off til I here from someone on BCUK about it's performance.

I looked at the new Honey stove page on the BPL-UK site and they have changed a few of the plates. The trangia holding one is no longer hexagonal but it has cutouts on it to reduce size and weight. There is what looks like weldmesh for the top of the stove and there is a square piece that works as the fire grate in the four sided setup. Plus a few other changes relating to various holes and stuff. Not sure when they happened. Also to my mind the steel looks different, a more shiny steel perhaps. All in all its been tweaked as a system.

Podcast Bob

Well, I don't know, you have a chat or two with people who happen to drift by our website and all of a sudden there's a thread or two here ;-)

Lets add some facts to these comments if I may.

Firstly, I hadn't seen the Emberlit until I saw this thread and I'm please to say that once again, my design has more flexibility and functionality than the US design, with 2 base plate heights, slots for Trangia and the plate is perforated for Esbit use, which the Emberlit doesn't look to be. You can also use mine just as a windshield if need be.

AND ... get your tissues ready!!!! ... it IS also being cut in .5mm Titanium as well as Stainless (So is the Honey). I saw the first samples yesterday and I am very excited. The cutters are doing a great job and providing they don't have much wastage from the sheets the price will be up on the website next week.

Now for the really clever bit. The old Honey didn't have a square plate and people have adapted many things, one of which is a shoe polish tin lid to do the job. Well the square plate which is supplied in the Pocket Stove is also the SAME plate as supplied in the the new 2012 Honey. Cool eh? ;-)

The new items, the square plate and the square food grade grill for the Honey and the Hive will be available separately, along with the new streamlined Trangia Honey plate, prices to be confirmed.

Very excited and also 'broke' finding sheets of Titanium from the Formula One motor industry. Better use I'd say.

I'm not here all the time, so any questions please email me at BPL. We also have a big clearance section at the moment with the last few 2011 Honey Stoves at reduced prices if anyone is interested.

Thanks once again for all your interest and support. I'm really pushing the British Manufacturing aspect this year and all the stoves are 100% British ;-)

Podcast Bob

Just found the very first review of the Stainless Pocket Stove, which I thought people might like to read.

The Titanium version of the Pocket Stove and Honey Stove are almost due, and the final weights are Pocket Stove 56g and the Honey Stove 129g!!

I gave the Honey a final test and blast for over 3 hours last night and filled it with coal to get it red hot, resulting in a lot of heat and very little warping. Very pleased and just taking the pictures ready for upload to the site later.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Thanks Podcast Bob, I have the honey stove and it is a great stove and a I have quite a few other stoves too, with the pocket stove it looks a nice set up, and I am interested in the Ti one, I will probably go ahead and get one to test. I have been a happy customer for quite some time :) and I think quite a few other have been as well :)

If you are free the last weekend of the month maybe you would like to demo it at the North wood meet. (details can be found in the midlands section)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE