The Modfather

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
As I have already expressed in earlier posts I am in love with my Lowe Alpine Sting in OD and have been looking at ways to modify it to make it even more beautiful. Last night I looked at all the straps and realised I could save myself a few grammes by cutting away the excess material. Not only did I save a few grammes (neither here nor there really) but I streamlined the bag's outline and created fewer chances for anything to get caught as I stumble around blindly in the undergrowth. The velcro strap tidiers for the vertical lid straps that secure the lid are actually pointless when you cut the straps down because they then slot straight down through the MOLLE system.

I then sewed a velcro Union Flag (subdued) badge onto the left hand side sleeve (the bit your GB SFA and bivvy poles so neatly sits in). I decided to put it there because it just looks cool down there out the way, almost nonchalant, like an indifferent grunt, and if the badge was on the lid or top front it would look like a Karrimor to the casual observer. And that wouldn't do.

I then ordered a piece of OD velcro online which will become a name tape with a marker pen and a stencil. Total Full Metal Jacket.

Today I spent most of my day looking at MOLLE pouches in which I can put my tarp and groundsheet and attach to the front of the bag. This would ensure if they're dirty or damp they are kept separate from the other kit like sleeping bags and dry clothes. (I know, I know, I could use dry bags but I don't really want to because I bought a poncho which should keep me dry in the unlikely event of an all day rain storm and the cordura is pretty water resistant.)

Also, I'm thinking of adding some velcro or press studs in on the top, middle and bottom of the flap that runs vertically alongside the zips which attach the side pouches. This adds no real benefit apart from looking sexy and at a push I could convince myself it would streamline the pack further.

The last thing I want to do is perhaps add some sort of water bottle pouch to the hip belt although there isn't a MOLLE attachment for this. A bit of lateral thinking is needed here...

Okay, I'm rambling, it's late and my freezer still hasn't fully defrosted, but my question is, do you modify your kit and if so, what have been your successes and failures? Feel free to include personal innovations and inventions.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
All i've done to mine so far (dpm) is attach two multi purpose pouches that take a nato bottle and mess tins respectively.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
All i've done to mine so far (dpm) is attach two multi purpose pouches that take a nato bottle and mess tins respectively.

Where did you put them and do you have pics? I know Johnboy had two pouches (see link below page 3 a quarter of the way down) custom made by Squires in New Zealand. They looked well cool and the pic of them in place served as my screen saver and inspiration for ages. But they are expensive to purchase and not quite big enough for a tarp and groundsheet. Ideal for a water bottle though.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46026&page=3

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Where did you put them and do you have pics? I know Johnboy had two pouches (see link below page 3 a quarter of the way down) custom made by Squires in New Zealand. They looked well cool and the pic of them in place served as my screen saver and inspiration for ages. But they are expensive to purchase and not quite big enough for a tarp and groundsheet. Ideal for a water bottle though.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46026&page=3

I'll try and do a pic in the morning.
They're on the front.

They're like these...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-MOLLE-UK-...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item53e619290e

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
As I have already expressed in earlier posts I am in love with my Lowe Alpine Sting in OD

They looked well cool and the pic of them in place served as my screen saver and inspiration for ages.

It sounds like you need to get out more...:)

Try the following. It's a known cure all.

Get the Train to the Lakes and walk from Keswick up to Cat Bells and then along the ridge from there to High Spy then along to Dalehead then down into Buttermere. Catch the bus back to Keswick via Borrowdale ( if you have time stop at the Bowderstone for a while) have a pint of Theakstons and a feed of fish and chips back in Keswick and reflect on the day..

After that you'll feel much better and the size and location of MOLLE pouches on the LA Sting will seem a trivial thing of the past...

HTH

John

Last edited:

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
Darren this is my sting, I tend to change round the layout

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62134&highlight=

At the moment I have the two sustainment pouches on the back as in the pics but the water bottle is now inside the pack. on the right hip belt I have a US Molle canteen pouch with a 58pat bottle and cup in and on the left hip belt I have 2x British army osprey desert torch pouchs (one with torch and chem sticks in and the other with a multitool). on the left shoulder strap I have a US molle grenade pouch with betalight and lensatic compass in it.

On the lid I have a 58 pattern poncho lashed on with compression straps.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
It sounds like you need to get out more...:)

Try the following. It's a known cure all.

Get the Train to the Lakes and walk from Keswick up to Cat Bells and then along the ridge from there to High Spy then along to Dalehead then down into Buttermere. Catch the bus back to Keswick via Borrowdale ( if you have time stop at the Bowderstone for a while) have a pint of Theakstons and a feed of fish and chips back in Keswick and reflect on the day..

After that you'll feel much better and the size and location of MOLLE pouches on the LA Sting will seem a trivial thing of the past...

HTH

John

Are you kidding? Where would I find time on the walk to surf the web looking for more kit mods? And I'm not taking my ruck outside in case it gets dirty. Jeez...

Seriously, that sounds like a plan. I'm off to the river Wye in April for a three day canoe and camp. I'm so excited. Will post pics. Thanks for your advice on the bag, by the way. I considered going extreme and cutting off the axe loops and straps at the top because I know the chance of me ever using ice axes is almost zero, but then I thought better of it. The straps will hold the camp grill I'm planning to make for the canoe trip.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
As for a tarp pouch I have a Molle water bottle pouch that is perfect. Its drawcord top so no zip to snag on tarp, has a mesh base for drainage which is usefull for wet tarp. Molle straps all round that the pegs slid into nicely.only downside is you need a small packing tarp, mine is a backpacking light solo.Perfect.

Just search on Ebay for Molle waterbottle, loads of them. Mine is a made by Phantom industries and good quality.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Darren this is my sting, I tend to change round the layout

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62134&highlight=

At the moment I have the two sustainment pouches on the back as in the pics but the water bottle is now inside the pack. on the right hip belt I have a US Molle canteen pouch with a 58pat bottle and cup in and on the left hip belt I have 2x British army osprey desert torch pouchs (one with torch and chem sticks in and the other with a multitool). on the left shoulder strap I have a US molle grenade pouch with betalight and lensatic compass in it.

On the lid I have a 58 pattern poncho lashed on with compression straps.

Mike,

Do you mean you have a US Molle canteen pouch actually on the hip belt? And if so, how? I don't see any Molle attachments on my hip belt.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
I'll try and do a pic in the morning.
They're on the front.

They're like these...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-MOLLE-UK-...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item53e619290e

I get what you mean. I have a 100 fl oz (three litre) Camelbak system I ripped out of an old Camelbak I found inserted into my Sting. I'm not a big fan of Camelbaks for the stupid reason I don't like the smell of the rubber. It fits fine and there's a little hole on the right side (if viewing the front) for the rubber tube. But I'd still like a water bottle sitting snugly in a Molle pouch on my hip belt in case I decide not to use the Camelbak.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
As for a tarp pouch I have a Molle water bottle pouch that is perfect. Its drawcord top so no zip to snag on tarp, has a mesh base for drainage which is usefull for wet tarp. Molle straps all round that the pegs slid into nicely.only downside is you need a small packing tarp, mine is a backpacking light solo.Perfect.

Just search on Ebay for Molle waterbottle, loads of them. Mine is a made by Phantom industries and good quality.

Do you mean this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TAS-MOLLE-HYD...ilitaria_LE&hash=item2c590ee60d#ht_3178wt_942

It doesn't give the sizes but if it fits snugly between the fastex clips securing the lid to the main compartment it might just work.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Love my Sting. All I've done tho is take off the sternum strap - I found it totally pointless with the minimum length much too long.

I'd be interested to see how the attachment is made on the hip support for the water bottle.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Love my Sting. All I've done tho is take off the sternum strap - I found it totally pointless with the minimum length much too long.

I'd be interested to see how the attachment is made on the hip support for the water bottle.

Highbinder, how tall are you? I'm only 5'7" and have the number 15 showing. I've got a 36" chest and found it to be quite comfortable and sat in the right place and held the straps in place well.

I too would love to see the hip attachment for the water bottle. I was thinking the only way to do it would be to customise an attachment to go around the hip belt and maybe sew it into place and attach with poppers. Over to you Mike8472...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE