"The Man Who Eats Badgers"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Anyone know this fellow? I'd like to meet him. There's more info and a couple videos if you Google his name. I've eaten road-kill deer, turkey and squirrel. I'm inspired to broaden my horizons.

From an article in Slate magazine:

"When it comes to road-kill-eating individuals, however, my favorite example is an Englishman named Arthur Boyt, who lives in West Cornwall with his wife, a vegetarian. The 70-year-old retired entomologist and competitive orienteer ate his first piece of road kill—a pheasant—when he was 15 years old, and hasn't looked back.
"I haven't bought a piece of meat since about 1976," he told me. "Maybe a sausage or two to bring to a barbecue, but nothing to eat at home." Boyt estimates that over the course of his 55-year road-kill-eating career, he's consumed about 5,000 animals he's found on the side of the road.
At first, Boyt only ate animals you'd find on a restaurant menu—pheasants, rabbits, hares. But eventually he moved on to more adventurous game. Today, he has a stand-alone freezer packed with pieces of animals he's collected over the years: badger, otter, roe deer, pheasant, partridge, pigeon, rabbit, and even a little bit of cat. "I've eaten three dogs," he told me matter-of-factly, emphasizing that he never kills animals himself. "Two greyhound mixes, and one Labrador retriever. Dog is one of the nicest-tasting meats I've ever had."

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I once read that Yvon Chouinard, the man who started both Patagonia and Chouinard Equipment ( now Black Diamond; he had to sell the company after being sued by someone who used one his carabiners for a purpose it wasn't designed for ), taught his kids to eat roadkill.
When I ate meat I polished off as few roadkill rabbits, and I still pick pheasants up for friends; the lanes around where I live are infested with them.

Cheers, Michael.

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
I think they made a programme on the bbc about him, it was a part of some programmes called Wonderland
Andrew

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Hello folks.
Have a look at Fergus Drennan aka Fergus the Forager.He was a guest instructor on the Woodsmoke Autumn Harvester wild food weekend last year.(Cracking weekend highly recommend it to all.)Excellent teacher and entertaining company.He did recommend badger fat as a cooking fat so I guess he'd already eaten the rest of the badger!A Google search should find him or there is a link from Ben's website (Woodsmoke bushcraft).I have no connection to either of them ; just a very satisfied customer.
Cheers , Simon.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
It's a bit like a strong ham apparently. My gran said she used to eat it all the time years ago and I know a lot of the old boys had badger sandwiches laid on after a skittles match.

Geordie9

Forager
Oct 25, 2010
Hampshire
Sorry little off topic..

I did find The road Kill Chef on youtube where Furgus gets a badger.
He was going to cook it up for people so had to get a meat inspector in who basically said that he shouldn't eat any of the road kill he had.
I think he kept the the other meat but did destory the badger in the end.

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
Badgers are a member of the pig family and as bushwacker says badger hams were an often used food in years gone by.
I'd be very hesitant to try it nowadays because the TB issues.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Badgers are a member of the pig family and as bushwacker says badger hams were an often used food in years gone by.
I'd be very hesitant to try it nowadays because the TB issues.

Badgers are not porcines (pig family) they are Mustelidae (same family as stoats, otters, mink etc).

And a ham is simply a cut of meat from athe top of the hind leg. Usually, associated wit hpig but it doesn't have to be. Badger leg can be hammed - i've bee ntold its ok but very greasey.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE