The lightest/smallest sleeping bag!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
Went into Lockwoods today to get myself a 3 season bag. The specs I wanted were:

1) Down fill
2) 0'C comfort rating
3) Light
4) Small packed

The chap in there showed me a couple of 'reasonably' priced ones about £75-£100. They were ok but weren't exactly what I was after, then he showed me the Cumulus Quantum 200 0'C bag....

My god, what a bag!!!

This thing only ways 465g, squashes down into a pack approx. 13mm x 22mm and still has a comfort rating of 0'C!!! It uses grey goose down 96/4 and has a fill factor of 695 (If I remember correctly).

Bad news is the price £160. I was fortunate enough to get a pretty big discount using my company name (we'd done a large bit of business with them).

Even so, if you want a bag that'll fit in your cargo trouser pocket and still be warm most of the year you can't go far wrong with it.

I'm taking it to Namibia in a couple of weeks as it's likely to get down to 4-5'C overnight so will see how it fairs.

Still amazed :D

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
That sound a bit too good to be true IMO.
The high end sleeping bags with comparable specs cost twice that price.

I have had plenty of sleeping bags previously that claimed to go down to 0'C, but failed to keep me warm even at 15'C.

If this really delivers what it promises, then it's a sure winner!

I'm looking forward to hear your practical experiences with it :)

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Interesting, same specs (price, weight *) are the PHD Minimus.

Yet manages to fit and a zip & zip baffles, and still be warmer.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
At a sneeze over 600 grams and rated down to -5, the Valandre Mirage is a superb bag but quite pricey. Definitely worth looking at, bearing in mind that Christmas is coming...:rolleyes:

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
I think you're confusing mm with cm. Still pretty small though.

Yep, oops.

Had a sleep in it last night just to check out the size. Bearing in mind I've been a bit chilly lately in my duvet, I was toasty in the bag. It feels like you've just got a sheet over you and yet still keeps you warm.

Will see how it goes on my trip.

That sound a bit too good to be true IMO.
The high end sleeping bags with comparable specs cost twice that price.

£160 isn't what I'd call cheap! If a bag of comparable specs is twice that then I suspect there's a bit of name dropping in the price.

Anyway, we'll see how it fairs outdoors. You may well be right!

Did I mention there was a lifetime guarantee too?

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I've posted about this before, but I use a JRB quilt when sleeping out, which has had me comfy to around freezing, or just below. It weighs 425 grams, with 800 loft down.
http://216.83.168.206/index_files/Stealth.htm

I really can't see a sleeping bag (which has to spread the loft between the upper and lower portion of the bag) being warmer than this quilt for around the same weight.... Personally if I wanted to be sure of being warm enough, I'd go for the JRB No Sniveller.

If you want a Sleeping bag, look at Western Mountaineering Ultralight. They're pretty much the best there are, and have accurate temp ratings apparently.

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
I bought the 0'C bag so that I'd be warm enough at about 4-5'C which is the estimated temp overnight. I've got -12'C down bag and a -10'C synthetic which are obviously warmer but would be over the top for my needs.

It's a real mine field as there are so many to choose from and when some say they are ok to 0'C and aren't and then others are more than ok to 0'C but are twice the price how do you know which one to go for?

Price doesn't always reflect quality as I have learnt in the past, especially if there's a big name involved.

I'd never heard of cumulus but the write ups I'd read seemed good and the chap in the shop was very impressed, he was an honest bloke too not just trying to sell it either!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE