The Launditch1 kitchen collection

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
As a few members here will tell, I love cooking outdoors and doing it "old style". I enjoy knocking up a fire crane from green hazel and other improvised techniques, but I have often hankered for a proper "gypsy campsite" set.

So, enough talk - here it is - all forged and welded by an obliging Launditch1.

First up the tripod.

3653975173_8f6442c5ae_o.jpg

The tripod is made from three lengths of round bar. A standard model for Nige but I wanted a taller one than normal so opted for a five foot length.

Each is flattened at one end into an eye. The three eyes are bolted together. Also included is a U bracket with a fitted 'S' hook. A length of chain goes on the 'S' hook ending in another hook. by lifting the chain, the pot attached to the lower hook can be raised or lowered by attaching a different link to the top hook. This lets you simmer a pot of keep the kettle "warm"

3744069538_05d27e3ccc_o.jpg

Next up a "camp grill". This I have wanted for a while but couldn't find one of the stature I wanted so we batted some ideas about and Nige made one up exactly as I wanted.

3743255257_95f3414f7e_o.jpg

The stand has fold up / bolt off legs 9" long. The grill is a large size - 24" by 12" - I reckon that is large enough to take two substantial pans.

The reason two bars go in a different orientation is to support the steel insert

3744048462_18be533155_o.jpg

The insert can be used to fry on, or to support awkard things - mugs to keep warm, coffee pots etc.

A better scale can be seen with a Crusader cup on top

3743257265_3c81ca27f4_o.jpg

I think, with my Dutch oven in the embers, a couple of good sized billies on the grill and the kettle of course hissing on the tripod, a full Sunday roast for four to six people should be very achievable .

Probably not to everyones taste, but its strong enough for many years of use and lets me indulge my passion for "proper cooking"

Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Will do indeed. Right now I'm in the middle of restoring a 1700s listed building (to be my retirement home :)). My woods time is, frankly, non existant but I think it will come in handy on the basis that we have, right no, no kitchen (or indeed bathroom, floor, ceiling, heating, plaster..........)

<sigh>

Red

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Great looking set there BR.

I have one of his tripods too, again in 5ft as we will use it with Scouts on raised fire beds. Well made and easy to adjust...shot below taken on Scout camp...
SDC14087.jpg

My wallet is aching looking at the grill set up now:rolleyes:

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE