The LandRover itch.. Do I scratch it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Here the cattle market car park is still mostly landrovers.

As for transit engines. Well the Ford transit has been the most popular van in the UK for decades. It must have been a proven engine surely?

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
My only negative with my F2, Renault engine, it cant use biodiesel due to the seals, a mistake by L/R there, most Jap 4x4 will.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Oh and also my boss has a D3 and 300tdi disco before it that I maintained to well over 100k miles each. The 300tdi had a head gasket and the D3 hasn't broke down yet. It's had a new hand brake actuator and some wheel bearings.

Reactions: Broch
May 18, 2020
Manchester
Here the cattle market car park is still mostly landrovers.

As for transit engines. Well the Ford transit has been the most popular van in the UK for decades. It must have been a proven engine surely?
Yeah I think it was the 2.4tdci engine that gave both the Ford transit and the Land Rover defender a bad name, I remember at work we had a brand new transit 2.4tdci that was never away from the Ford dealership and in the end got taken to another Ford dealer where it was stored for months amongst other transits of the same type till Ford them selfs sorted the problem out which i think it had to have a new engine then later they brought out another engine which was the 2.2tdci which was faultless and later used in the defender and again was faultless.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
If I am honest, the romance of a Land Rover outweighs the issues.
Mine was a Friday afternoon special, but I kept it and forgave it far more than I have any other car I’ve ever owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: srod

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Yeah I think it was the 2.4tdci engine that gave both the Ford transit and the Land Rover defender a bad name, I remember at work we had a brand new transit 2.4tdci that was never away from the Ford dealership and in the end got taken to another Ford dealer where it was stored for months amongst other transits of the same type till Ford them selfs sorted the problem out which i think it had to have a new engine then later they brought out another engine which was the 2.2tdci which was faultless and later used in the defender and again was faultless.

Shows how out of touch I am. Didn't even know there was two puma defender variants.
So later bonnet bulge defenders were 2.2tdci?

Which one is yours broch?

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
S1 Disco - great utility vehicles but expect lots and lots of tin worm and welding

Sills
Boot floor
C pillars
Wheel arches

Basically the whole rear end body

Excellent concept....Friday afternoon build quality. Having had 2 - never again
If Toyota or Nissan..... Had built it.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Shows how out of touch I am. Didn't even know there was two puma defender variants.
So later bonnet bulge defenders were 2.2tdci?

Which one is yours broch?

Mine's actually the 2.4 - but faultless :) - it's really dangerous to generalise based on small numbers - faults and niggles always get reported, faultless vehicles never get mentioned. I had an ex-farm 300tdi 90 with a dreadfully rusted chassis - they just couldn't put up with the cow muck. My older 110 300tdi County had a perfect chassis.

There are actually loads of different 'Puma' engine builds based on the Duratorque design. All Tdci Defenders have the bulging bonnet whether 2.4 or 2.2L

Land Rovers are my main passion. I have owned many over the years - 14 to be precise. That said, now for the first time in over 20 years I am not an owner of any Land Rover and I'm not really missing the blood sweat and tears that go into maintaining one either - that is assuming you have an older model and you are happy to get stuck into the maintenance yoursefl! The D1's and 2's especially are a labour of love. The D3's (my favourite ever Land Rover and by far and away the most capable thing I have ever owned) are especially awesome and can be picked up for slightly over your budget these days if you can stretch.

Ready for the shock comment though (and I am digressing slightly, sorry but this part is worth the read!). The most capable vehicle I have ever driven off-road, under the tutorship of one of Land Rovers senior instructors is a Range Rover Velar. On standard road tyre's that thing can do things that the most powerful defenders fitted with mud pluggers can only stare at.

You'll already know what pitfalls to look out for I'm sure. Rot and electrics mainly but plenty of other stuff too. Bottom line is if you can find one in good condition keep it regularly maintained and serviced and it will last you as well as any other foreign make of vehicle.Lots of people soff at them but a Haynes Manual will serve you well if only for reference and a decent socket set too (and very BIG hammer).

You don't say what part of the country you are in, as I might be able to put you in touch with a local club but that is the other thing I would offer. LR clubs are full of like minded folk who will be only too happy to help you get the most out of your new truck. I would highly;y recommend you join one if you plan on making an LR purchase.

Hope that's useful.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Mine's actually the 2.4 - but faultless :) - it's really dangerous to generalise based on small numbers - faults and niggles always get reported, faultless vehicles never get mentioned. I had an ex-farm 300tdi 90 with a dreadfully rusted chassis - they just couldn't put up with the cow muck. My older 110 300tdi County had a perfect chassis.

There are actually loads of different 'Puma' engine builds based on the Duratorque design. All Tdci Defenders have the bulging bonnet whether 2.4 or 2.2L

Not even a hint of generalisation in my post dangerous or otherwise :)

I'm as big a landrover fan as they come. My dad has had them exclusively since the sixties (I can actually remember my first time in a car lol)
And I'm just the same. My sixteenth birthday present was a genuine six cyl petrol which we rebuilt in time for when I passed my test
I've owned, driven, or worked on every stripe of series and most defender and discovery variants and Range rovers up to p38
You don't have to be defensive with me lol

Reactions: Onelifeoverland

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Ready for the shock comment though (and I am digressing slightly, sorry but this part is worth the read!). The most capable vehicle I have ever driven off-road, under the tutorship of one of Land Rovers senior instructors is a Range Rover Velar. On standard road tyre's that thing can do things that the most powerful defenders fitted with mud pluggers can only stare at.

Yep, I had a Land Rover experience day in a Disco Sport fitted with its full electronic terrain negotiation technology - it was absolutely awsome. All I had to do was steer! It approached an obstacle, tried it, if it failed it backed off then tried a different strategy until it succeeded - it was like sitting in a robot :) and that was on road tyres as well.

Maybe not the most fun off-road driving but to a technologist like me I just found it jaw-dropping.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I reckon You can tell exactly what type of land rover fan you are by how it takes to work out which rangerover "velar" is being referred to here lol.

The penny didn't drop for me until I read brochs post above

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Land Rovers are my main passion. I have owned many over the years - 14 to be precise. That said, now for the first time in over 20 years I am not an owner of any Land Rover and I'm not really missing the blood sweat and tears that go into maintaining one either - that is assuming you have an older model and you are happy to get stuck into the maintenance yoursefl! The D1's and 2's especially are a labour of love. The D3's (my favourite ever Land Rover and by far and away the most capable thing I have ever owned) are especially awesome and can be picked up for slightly over your budget these days if you can stretch.

You'll already know what pitfalls to look out for I'm sure. Rot and electrics mainly but plenty of other stuff too. Bottom line is if you can find one in good condition keep it regularly maintained and serviced and it will last you as well as any other foreign make of vehicle.Lots of people soff at them but a Haynes Manual will serve you well if only for reference and a decent socket set too (and very BIG hammer).

You don't say what part of the country you are in, as I might be able to put you in touch with a local club but that is the other thing I would offer. LR clubs are full of like minded folk who will be only too happy to help you get the most out of your new truck. I would highly;y recommend you join one if you plan on making an LR purchase.

Hope that's useful.

Sorry, on my phone. This should be quoted above

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Ive owed a LR3, Regal to drive & expensive to run.They are no good for short journeys. You’ll eat EGR valves & the engine/exhaust will become choked amongst other things that do go wrong?
Yes you can take take the back seats out to make more room,but have you considered a large a 4x4 estate car?
I’m over the moon with my Audi

Arwen

Dec 30, 2021
Suffolk
Disclaimer; I've driven Landover's for almost 40 years with only the occasional 'digression' away from the brand. I've always tried to have Landy garages look after them and only did emergency roadside repairs or the basics myself, I'm bloody useless under a bonnet. On that basis the problems I've experienced have only been those similar to my compatriots owning Mitsubishis', Toyotas and Fords.

The OP mentions possibly using a Disco 2 for sleeping which I would suggest from experience might be difficult as the rear length is pretty short even with the front seat(s) fully forward. I'm only 5'8"

So after a life of 'rattley' Defenders and 'rumbling' Discoveries I eventually settled on a 2011 Discovery 4. Its a great model if you need to balance a comfortable everyday vehicle with the ability to genuinely go off road and camp out / over-nighters. The rear seats fold 100% flat and there is plenty of stretch out for those over 6' tall. The adjustable air suspension works great and the various adaptive traction control systems are well proven. It took a while to find one without the panoramic glass roof options, but that makes a big difference to the motorway cab noise and heat retention on colder nights. With the engine pre heat system, heated seats, steering wheel heat and decent set of winter tyres it's a lovely vehicle.

As the D3 / D4 marque is getting older now you might be lucky enough to find a good one at a reasonable price although I see they are holding their value very well at the moment.

Easy to get spare parts, not overly expensive garage service rates and still look presentable wherever you go. So for me is a D4 for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Arwen

Dec 30, 2021
Suffolk
The D3 / D4 drop down tail gate is also a much better option than the Disco 2 side hung door, it makes a great seat and cooking platform and helps support a tarp rigged up across the back of the truck when needed. I cant find it at the moment, but there is a YouTube video of a guy in California who stripped out the rear kiddy seats and built a hidden gun rack in the space under the floor.

Attachments

• IMG_20210529_104008.jpg
    IMG_20210529_104008.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Disclaimer; I've driven Landover's for almost 40 years with only the occasional 'digression' away from the brand. I've always tried to have Landy garages look after them and only did emergency roadside repairs or the basics myself, I'm bloody useless under a bonnet. On that basis the problems I've experienced have only been those similar to my compatriots owning Mitsubishis', Toyotas and Fords.

The OP mentions possibly using a Disco 2 for sleeping which I would suggest from experience might be difficult as the rear length is pretty short even with the front seat(s) fully forward. I'm only 5'8"

So after a life of 'rattley' Defenders and 'rumbling' Discoveries I eventually settled on a 2011 Discovery 4. Its a great model if you need to balance a comfortable everyday vehicle with the ability to genuinely go off road and camp out / over-nighters. The rear seats fold 100% flat and there is plenty of stretch out for those over 6' tall. The adjustable air suspension works great and the various adaptive traction control systems are well proven. It took a while to find one without the panoramic glass roof options, but that makes a big difference to the motorway cab noise and heat retention on colder nights. With the engine pre heat system, heated seats, steering wheel heat and decent set of winter tyres it's a lovely vehicle.

As the D3 / D4 marque is getting older now you might be lucky enough to find a good one at a reasonable price although I see they are holding their value very well at the moment.

Easy to get spare parts, not overly expensive garage service rates and still look presentable wherever you go. So for me is a D4 for the foreseeable future.

It's the vehicle I may have to consider replacing my 110 with; but that's going to be a difficult wrench :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE