The Jerven Bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Pignut I dont but I dont like sleeping cold and tend to use a nanok 0 or a US poncho liner just to bump it up a bit ,
This model was pre the extreme but it works for me .
082.jpg

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
What I would like to know/find out is,, If you wear/sleep in it in a hammock do you need a mat/under quilt or dose the silver bit stop you getting cold?

All told it dose look a good system and well made as far as I can tell.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
These look good but the sceptic in me asks this question..... Is this just an insulated plastic bag?

Are they worth the cash?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Tempted as I am but I'm resisting buying one because I don't know if I'll ever use it and I can't really work out what it's for.

Do you lads use it to replace a sleeping bag/waterproof bivvy combo, or maybe use it to add a few degrees to an existing doss bag? Johan mentions condensation so I take it they're not breathable, how does that work with a sleeping bag, do you wake up damp if used as a blanket/bivvy?

They look like they're designed for sitting around in exposed places when hunting, I can see how they'd come in handy as an emergency shelter, as a kind of glorified bothy bag.

I think I "need" one but can't quite get my head round it

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Tempted as I am but I'm resisting buying one because I don't know if I'll ever use it and I can't really work out what it's for.

Do you lads use it to replace a sleeping bag/waterproof bivvy combo, or maybe use it to add a few degrees to an existing doss bag? Johan mentions condensation so I take it they're not breathable, how does that work with a sleeping bag, do you wake up damp if used as a blanket/bivvy?

They look like they're designed for sitting around in exposed places when hunting, I can see how they'd come in handy as an emergency shelter, as a kind of glorified bothy bag.

I think I "need" one but can't quite get my head round it

Rich,

They aren't breathable (think VBL in extreme low temps), but it's said you can regulate condensation by zip up partially if the situation allows. You can use them to upgrade your sleeping bag (though you need a liner for the condensation), though I think that's only needed if you go towards the Arctic / extreme winter conditions in the UK.
I think you can basically compare it with a sleeping bag with a bivy bag. The shell and 200 gms liner take up the same(ish) amount of room (packed in a vacuum dry bag) as my Ajungilak Kompakt (3 season) and british army bivy bag. I reckon it's a bit lighter though and it takes extreme low temps better (there's a report on the bags on Jerven site).

I personally like the fact it's very versatile, as you also have a tarp option.

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Rich,

They aren't breathable (think VBL in extreme low temps), but it's said you can regulate condensation by zip up partially if the situation allows. You can use them to upgrade your sleeping bag (though you need a liner for the condensation), though I think that's only needed if you go towards the Arctic / extreme winter conditions in the UK.
I think you can basically compare it with a sleeping bag with a bivy bag. The shell and 200 gms liner take up the same(ish) amount of room (packed in a vacuum dry bag) as my Ajungilak Kompakt (3 season) and british army bivy bag. I reckon it's a bit lighter though and it takes extreme low temps better (there's a report on the bags on Jerven site).

I personally like the fact it's very versatile, as you also have a tarp option.

So would the Exclusive with an 80 gr/sq.m. liner act well as a generally U.K.-based set-up with the possibility of adding a sleeping bag in winter? I like the apparent versatility and quality of manufacture. The breathability could be an issue but solved by careful deployment of the zips and the use of the liner; I remain very interested in what looks to be a piece of really useful kit.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I still think this is a good idea. I think it is the lack of breathability and nights as a scout spent in an orange bivi bag, waking up soaked in sweat are playing on my mind.

The idea of being able to just plonk it down on the ground is brilliant and very appealing

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Twodogs,

Sorry to keep pointing my questions at you......

Looks like i may cave in and go for a Thermo.

Just a couple of questions. Can it be zipped completely open (Thinking as a ground sheet sleeping/Admin area in my Tipi)

And can it be completely zipped up to enclose a sleeping bag/me if i use it under the stars?

And... is it waterproof enough to throw on wet grass and sleep in without ingress?

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
So would the Exclusive with an 80 gr/sq.m. liner act well as a generally U.K.-based set-up with the possibility of adding a sleeping bag in winter? I like the apparent versatility and quality of manufacture. The breathability could be an issue but solved by careful deployment of the zips and the use of the liner; I remain very interested in what looks to be a piece of really useful kit.

Yes, I think that would work. Of course all depending on the temps in winter and the rating of your sleeping bag. Personally I find my 200gms a bit overkill for use in NL / UK. Though bought it with a possible cold trip up north in mind.

I used it in night temps of around 5-7'C, and found myself nice and toasty. I wore a thermal top and a Brynje Antarctic vest, which I took of during the night, as it became to warm.

Didn't noticed much about the condensation, until I zipped up the liner from the shell in the morning to air it (as per Jervens advice). The liner had some damp spots, but for the most water droplets laid on top like little pearls. While I was brewing up for breakfast, all dried nice and well.
If possible you don't want to enclose yourself in completely, because (1) you might not like to breath warm air and (2) breathing inside the bag adds up to condensation.

Last edited:

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Twodogs,

Sorry to keep pointing my questions at you......

Looks like i may cave in and go for a Thermo.

Just a couple of questions. Can it be zipped completely open (Thinking as a ground sheet sleeping/Admin area in my Tipi)

And can it be completely zipped up to enclose a sleeping bag/me if i use it under the stars?

And... is it waterproof enough to throw on wet grass and sleep in without ingress?

In case Cliff isn't online today, the answers are yes, yes and yes. For the first yes I think I'd take a groundsheet that costs £1.50 instead of the Jerven at more than a hundred times the price. There's a very slight provision to that seconds yes in that there are eyelets (holes with brass reinforcing rings, see photos) at the corners so you can use it as a tarp/windbreak/parachute/whatever, so water can theoretically get in there in a downpour. I use the holes to peg it down if it's windy so it's still there when I get back. As I often set up camp in the dark I generally put a big sheet of polythene down on the ground first just to keep the bag clean in case there's something unpleasant on the ground that I haven't seen, but it isn't strictly necessary as the bag is completely waterproof. The zips need treating very occasionally with some sort of lubricant/'waterproofing stuff but that's all.

Oh, and if you zip it up completely with you inside it then (1) you'll get too hot, and it will be very stuffy so it will need more airing next day, and (2) you won't be able to see the stars. I've used mine down to -15 and been very comfy, never felt the need to zip up completely. Granted I've usually had a couple of hot water bottles in there too. :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE