The Jerven Bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I have seen these mentioned in a recent post, and looked on there website.

I am a little confused. Are these a sleeping bag? Shelter? allof the above?

I presume you would need a Jerven Bag Thermo as i think the Jerven Bag origional is just a shell?

Anyone use one? what are they like in use?

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Yep thats about right ,,, all of the above .

odd bit of kit really ,
But thay work very well giving you a dry warm place to sit , sleep depending on model .
love mine best buy for Scandinavia ,

Twodogs

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
As Twodogs said, all you said is true.

I have the latest model (Exclusive, with a 200gr. liner - bulky!!!).

Didn't had the time to take it out for a long period of time, but did spent 3/4 nights in one. If you sleep in one, you might find condensation between the shell and liner. Just zip them open and let them air to sort that.

The shell can be used as a bivy bag. Add a liner and it becomes a weatherproof sleepsystem. The liner can be used in itself as a sleepingbag (roomy) and the shell can be put up as a tarp.

If you want I'll make some new pics and put them up later today :)

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
They are unbelievably good. I took my wife out meteor spotting in the snow in the Derbyshire hills last December and she was quite comfortable in the Jerven bag while I made the coffee. Then I got in it as well. It was about minus 5 with a fifteen to twenty knot wind. I woke up in a field near Toulouse in January after a very cosy night to find the bag covered in ice. I have some photos somewhere of the rectangular patch of frost-free ground after I picked up the bag. I've used it to sit in (they have a couple of short zips at the 'sides' for your arms when you're sitting in them) and the difference in comfort is nothing short of astonishing. I like to put a hot water bottle or two in there, and I'm not kidding you could be quite comfortable in the arctic like that.

I like the fact that you can just drop the thing on the ground and it's ready to get in. It takes zero time. After I plopped it on the ground in Toulouse I went back to the van to get my sleep mat, about twenty yards away. When I turned round I couldn't see the bag even though I knew exactly where it was! I like that too. :)

Oh, and I've used it as a reflector, hanging it behind me with a fire in front of me. With some faffing about with bits of string it can be made into a sort of dish-shape around you, very cosy. :)

Last edited:

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I've been looking at the Jerven Bags for a couple of years. I've only heard good things about them, the only thing preventing me owning one is the price.

Ahjno - do you have any idea how the new Exclusive version compares to the Thermo Hunter? They're the same price, but the Exclusive is half the weight. Does that mean that it's without a thermal layer and that you have to buy the liner separately? Surely that just makes it even more expensive.

Cheers,
Claudiasboris

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
That would be great!

I really like the idea of these, I did not realise it could be used as a tarp also with the liner as a bag

As Twodogs said, all you said is true.

I have the latest model (Exclusive, with a 200gr. liner - bulky!!!).

Didn't had the time to take it out for a long period of time, but did spent 3/4 nights in one. If you sleep in one, you might find condensation between the shell and liner. Just zip them open and let them air to sort that.

The shell can be used as a bivy bag. Add a liner and it becomes a weatherproof sleepsystem. The liner can be used in itself as a sleepingbag (roomy) and the shell can be put up as a tarp.

If you want I'll make some new pics and put them up later today :)

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Is there anywhere in the UK selling this i'll like to take alook at one before parting with the cash?

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
First pic: the Jerven bag is designed to be carried on the outside of your bergen as some sort of bedroll.

I used a BCUK Spyderco for scale:
CIMG0467.jpg

Top cover:
CIMG0468.jpg

The Jerven bag comes in a pillowcase for transport, though I've seen soldiers using it without - as it's quite a puzzle to get it back in:
CIMG0470.jpg

The pillowcase is made of the same material as the shell. Note the aluminium coating, that reflects your body heat.
CIMG0469.jpg

Left the pillowcase and the top cover, right the Jerven bag - full width, length folded in 3. Please note I didn't zipped the bag completely open (as a tarp), as there isn't enough room indoors :eek: Hence only showed in bag mode.
CIMG0470.jpg

A corner. The hole is big enough to let a pencil through.
CIMG0472.jpg

Waterproof zips all around the outside.
CIMG0471.jpg

The liner zipped to the shell. I put a red polo shirt in the arm opening for contrast.
CIMG0474.jpg

View at the arm opening and a look between the shell and liner.
CIMG0473.jpg

Liner partly zipped away from the shell, continue this and you get a separate liner and shell.
CIMG0475.jpg

The complete package:
- Jerven bag (shell)
- Liner (either 80gr./m2 or 200gr./m2)
- 1 pair of arms
- bright orange safety flag
- webbing belt (to keep the bag up in case you use it as a 'poncho', or wear the pouch).
- pouch (for Jerven bag / shell only - though there's enough room for some small other items, like some plasters, lighter / esbit, emergency candy).

HTH :)

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've been looking at the Jerven Bags for a couple of years. I've only heard good things about them, the only thing preventing me owning one is the price.

Ahjno - do you have any idea how the new Exclusive version compares to the Thermo Hunter? They're the same price, but the Exclusive is half the weight. Does that mean that it's without a thermal layer and that you have to buy the liner separately? Surely that just makes it even more expensive.

Cheers,
Claudiasboris

On the Hunter the liner can't be removed. On the Exclusive it can, making it more versatile. Also the liner on the Hunter is 80gr./m2 while you can choose which liner you want on the Exclusive when you buy (80 or 200).

EDIT: re-read post and noticed I didn't fully answered your question:
The Exclusive comes without liner (shell only) - and you have to buy that one (liner) separately. Expensive indeed, unless you get it as a present.

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I'm sorely tempted. It looks a really good and useful piece of kit. The Exclusive with the 80 gsm liner seems to be the ideal for me. Many thanks for the photos - and the infectious enthusiasm. My bank manager is going to hate me...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE