The 'I've found a bargain' thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Hers an odd one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable...179560?hash=item363d72fb28:g:KXUAAOSwlKlbvA5a

its a cable to charge 18650 or CR123 batteries or similar
however it also acts as a battery bank if you have a fully charged battery in.

So what I do is rip open old laptop batteries, which usually have 12 to 16 18650 batteries in, each holds 3000mah

so for £7 i made a 48,000 mah battery bank.

just need to swop out batteries as they get used up, which also emans that you only need to take what you need.
i might store mine in a molle shotgun shell pouch at some point.

if im just playing pokemon go then i just strap the cable and battery to wrist.

Reactions: Toddy

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hers an odd one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable...179560?hash=item363d72fb28:g:KXUAAOSwlKlbvA5a

its a cable to charge 18650 or CR123 batteries or similar
however it also acts as a battery bank if you have a fully charged battery in.

So what I do is rip open old laptop batteries, which usually have 12 to 16 18650 batteries in, each holds 3000mah

so for £7 i made a 48,000 mah battery bank.

just need to swop out batteries as they get used up, which also emans that you only need to take what you need.
i might store mine in a molle shotgun shell pouch at some point.

if im just playing pokemon go then i just strap the cable and battery to wrist.

Better option from a reliable manufacturer, though it’s not a power bank. It’ll charge anything from an Eneloop type 1.2V to a 4.2V lithium ion, reads the voltages and shuts off when full.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-...ocphy=9045777&hvtargid=pla-563119718089&psc=1

Personally I wouldn’t harvest batteries from old laptop packs and assume mAh. I buy batch tested, high draw 18650s from Fogstar as I have several multicell torches and a couple of vape mods needing power. No affiliation, just a recommended company doing good things regarding battery safety.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Not sure how much of a bargain but alpkit tarp 3.4 x 2.5m IIRC reduced from £129 to £49 until February 2nd. I like the company's attitude to customers namely their alpine bond refund policy. Their products are decent for the price too I reckon.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Better option from a reliable manufacturer, though it’s not a power bank. It’ll charge anything from an Eneloop type 1.2V to a 4.2V lithium ion, reads the voltages and shuts off when full.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-...ocphy=9045777&hvtargid=pla-563119718089&psc=1

Personally I wouldn’t harvest batteries from old laptop packs and assume mAh. I buy batch tested, high draw 18650s from Fogstar as I have several multicell torches and a couple of vape mods needing power. No affiliation, just a recommended company doing good things regarding battery safety.

Good point, I dont use them in my torches, just as I was recycling dead laptop parts,
i like Olight, i use on the road m3 pro which is an olight baton clone. has a few for features
good tip on fogstar

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Cobmaster Khaki Metal Framed Rucksack 65+ Litre, empty weight approx 1400g
Bit of a rare beastie on this side of the atlantic nearly always found in high-vis dayglow Red, Blue and Orange. Rubberised interior coating so no faffing with rain cover. Rides well when fully loaded and feels like a British Army Bergen without the skin being flayed from your back.

Currently at 0 bids with 2 days to go here on ebay

[no affiliation or kickbacks from seller , ebay suggested it to me as I am trying to sell blue one.. go figure]

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
If anyone is after an AA EDC torch.

Amazon seems to have the Lumintop Tool AA 2 kit at £16. Light, 14500 battery (tech details says battery is included) and magnetic base.
For price comparison,. it's on sale on Lumintop's Aliexpress store for £18 (down from £23)

Unfortunately I bought one beginning of the year when it was more expensive and didn't come with the mag base tail. Typical :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Torch-Smal...07X3BMZXS/ref=pd_sbs_60_1/261-4159556-0076056

Edit: Not certain it's a micro USB rechargeable battery. One I got was. And the pic shows a different sleeve design.

Edit2:
They've edited the listing. So I guess it was a mess up on their part.

Last edited:

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
If anyone is after an AA EDC torch.

Amazon seems to have the Lumintop Tool AA 2 kit at £16. Light, 14500 battery (tech details says battery is included) and magnetic base.
For price comparison,. it's on sale on Lumintop's Aliexpress store for £18 (down from £23)

Unfortunately I bought one beginning of the year when it was more expensive and didn't come with the mag base tail. Typical :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Torch-Smal...07X3BMZXS/ref=pd_sbs_60_1/261-4159556-0076056

Edit: Not certain it's a micro USB rechargeable battery. One I got was. And the pic shows a different sleeve design.

They've edited the listing. So I guess it was a mess up on their part.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
House around the corner from me had a load of flint chippings dropped on his front yard before the lockdown. Not really big enough for serious knapping but thumbsize enough for fire lighting practice.. Got some bemused / evil looks this morning from the owner in the window as I swept up some of the pieces that had fallen onto the pavement and dropped them into my rucksack :sneaky:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The Book People are having a closing down sale; a couple of relevant books:

Loft Wiseman - "Ultimate SAS Survival" - £2
Catapults and Key Hooks - £1

Plus a couple of others that may appeal to some.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Just a heads up Ronnie Sunshine have their camp fire grill at a bargain price of £11.99.

With postage on top it's just under £20 for what's a well constructed grill

Standard disclaimer of no affiliation with Ronnie Sunshines apart from an owner of said grill :)

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Tescos did have the 122g Smartie Easter eggs for 18p and Thorntons dinosaur egg for £1.
This was last Tuesday though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE