The ideal place to be.......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BAHDog

Jan 7, 2004
Tucson, Arizona
I would like to go to Finland someday in summer.

My favorite places on earth are the deserts. That is why I chose to live in the Sonoran Desert. I feel so good when I'm in the desert. One place high on my list is Death Valley. Not in summer though.

I was in a part of northern Arizona early this week and got to hike all though this landscape. I found signs of acient stoneage life here. I didn't want to leave.

Surreal.jpg

J

JeremyH

Northern Finland - we have friends in Sumosalmi , near Kajaani where we spent ten days in a hunting cabin seven years ago. Superb...

or

Joshua Tree USA where we were six years ago...
but best of all..

Here on Islay, where the wilderness meets the sea. Great for everything except snow.. :-D [/img]

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Rob:

I can't remember the name of the street it is on, but it's in town, just opposite what was (in 2001) an Irish themed basement pub. Of course, being an independant Backpackers hostel it's full of aussies, kiwis & north americans, who are doing the highlands; but it's got THE most comfortable comfy chairs I've ever sat in!

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Roger Gregory said:
A few favourite places, given the chance....

The Vaynol Arms, Llanberis pass - supping Guinness and swapping lies with departed friends, followed by sitting under the stars watching the satellites pass over while handing round a bottle of single malt....

The Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire - just watching the deer and the birds

Then again, I want to visit Canada. Hudson Bay in June.....

Roger

Bloomin eck !! Not been in the Vaynol for ages. Is Gregor still the landlord ?? :)

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Not been to the Vaynol for years ...and it's just down the road from me!!! :shock: :-?

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Pete's still there!
EdS said:
Make 2 of us.

Used to spend alot of time in the Vanyol at uni when I was supposed to be climbing.

Then nip down to Pete's Eats for breakfast- just until it stop raining enought to go out (honest).

leon-1

Gary said:
Praires of Alberta or even better the mountians around Banff or wainwright - in other words Canada!

Yep with you on that, but also like Grytviken in the southern Hemisphere and ULu Tutong in the tropics.

To be honest just about anywhere in the great outdoors has it's own beauty and as a result I wouldn't mind where too much, but the above would be preferable :wave:

Douglas

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2004
Switzerland
I'd like to see the highlands...like go walking there one summer (I go to Scotland every year...but down south). I'm hoping to go to university in Svalbard (www.unis.no), and see what the arctic is like, and I think they do an expedition to the north pole once in the year. I'd be studying arctic geophysics normally. But it's just an idea for the moment...

Then I'd like to live in Norway (or Svalbard but I might get fed up of the not-so-good snow: I'm a skiing fanatic), in some not-too-remote place (not a city, but well placed for work, accessibility, mountaineering etc.) And if it's possible from the training I'd get in Svalbard, become an Arctic/Antarctic scientist, and go off to the poles for scientific expeditions.

I'd quite like to visit a bit of Canada too (great snow there I got told), get a taster of a jungle (like a one week course, anywhere with big fat bamboo), and maybe see Mongolia, Siberia, the Rockies and Australia.

As for hot, sandy deserts of Africa and middle east...well I don't like heat much, so that's out of the question. And arctic deserts are also calm (I imagine). Australia would be hot though.

Basically, I'd like to live anywhere where it's possible to ski, and have some real wilderness quite close, where I could do ski or telemark touring. (You can't go anywhere here without a trace of civilisation), and travel to those other places just to see what they're like.

Hogan

Tenderfoot
Jun 10, 2004
Scotland
Inverinate on the shore of Loch Duich, a tiny little place about 12 miles or so from Kyle of Lochalsh, West coast of Scotland - or Otter Haven area on Skye.

Spent best weekend ever there last October.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE