The ideal hunting/stalking bag.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Marijn

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2006
The Netherlands
After another nice day out (nothing for the pot, but plenty of wildlife to be seen) i'm completely fed up with my current backpack.

So i'm starting to look around for a nice hunting/stalking pack.

In short the demands are, functionally for stalking, high-seat hunting and small game (often a lot of walking involved without returning to the car.
Used when out with either shotgun or rifle, and when tracking wounded animals.

Enough separate compartments because the major anoyance with the current back-pack is having toss half the contents to reach something in the bottom.
Not used for multi-day stuff, so not tents sleeping bags mats etc.
Although a brewkit and some food does need to fit.
Also some ways of attaching stuff on the outside (thermo bag for winter highseat sessions.

Tough as nails, waterproof, and green or some other field color.

I'm hoping you guys can come up with some brands or actual models.

Thanks in advance.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Maxpedition, notak/Sitka I use both, I regularly stalk and use the notak. Why, single shoulder strap, ideal to mount your rifle, big enough to pack all you need for a stalk, tracking tape, knives etc. they come in various colours and bomb proof, if you want bigger use the Sitka.

woodsrunner

Forager
May 13, 2013
Montana USA
maybe give one of these a try....i am
just got it in this morning and loaded it up, took it for a sixteen miler in the mountains
i had about twenty pounds in it...i'm only 59 years old so i'm not too sore this evening.:)
i'll be putting this through its paces...reckon it'll make a dandy hunting rig...though i wouldn't try and pack out any elk type critters in it...LOL...woods

Last edited:
Marijn

I know what you mean about the search for a stalking bag. Here Roe Sacks seem very popular, I've gotta say i loathe them - uncomfortable to carry when loaded with a Roe, and noisy at all times. I tried a shoulder bag but it always seemed to swing about at precisely the wrong moment, and of course every thing was jumbled up inside it
Big 'bum bags aka fanny packs' seem to work pretty well - the Kifaru Scout being both the most expensive and best made option. The scout has the advantage that you can attach a small additional frame to it that will easily take the weight and bulk of a Roe. Spendy though.
nice-daypack-lid-fol-lrg.jpg

I'm currently using a day pack from Mystery Ranch, which rides very high on the back, and has two sections; the upper of which has a sheet of foam and a 'port' for a drinking tube. It also becomes an additional lid for their packs.

There is no perfect pack, knife, ect - but its fun looking

Marijn

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2006
The Netherlands
Hi Marijn, ...........is it another rucksack you're looking for or a shoulder/shooting type bag ?

Well i'm keeping that one open to suggestions.
Both have their pro's and con's and I don't want any good options not making it on the forum because I said A of B ;)

So far the maxpedition's and kifaru are on the short list.
Although if I buy a kifaru I'd better take the expedition size once since i'll be carrying most of my belongings in it :rolleyes:
The GF isn't going to be in quite a sunny mood if I spend €300+ on another pack:twak:

And i'm not to worried about getting the roe/fallow/red-deer of boar back, thats what 4*4's are made for ;) (then again, who's going to carry out anything save the roe deer...)
If ever I need to carry the kill its up some kind of steep slope and dragging it would be wiser to do.

So basically it has to take:
  • binocular
  • rifle
  • ammo
  • knife
  • water/coffee/brewkit
  • light
  • notebook and other small stuff
  • dSLR with 300mm lens
  • spare room for the occasional stuff to bring along

Optional (as in not always needed)
  • themobag in winter high-seat hunting (can go on outside)
  • somewhere to hang small-game on e.a. some rings or loops on the outside

Last edited:

Jackdaw

The added bonus of the Berghaus Munro is that if you buy it from RVOps they will sew on side zips that fit the PLCE side pouches, (for a small fee) that greatly increases the amount of kit you can carry if, and when needed.

Bought one for a recent exercise in Cyprus and was really impressed. I lost one about 20 years ago and have only just got round to replacing it. Can't believe I waited so long.

Marijn

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2006
The Netherlands
Hmm, the munro+pockets does make a nice bag.
The downside was for me the lack of compartments.
Especially for the little things that seem to always end up at the bottom I was looking at another bag.
My current Lowe-Alpine does a good job at holding all stuff in one bigger compartment, which I have to empty all the time to get to the smaller things.

Now to find a shop that has all the bags on my short-list to fit, see and try :p

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
How do you feel about the modern military styled packs? If you don't mind them, there are literally dozens of small packs out there that would fit the bill.
I have a 5.11 Rush 24 as a range bag and its excellent with plenty of compartments to organize stuff in. There Moab 10, with a single should stap, also looks very interesting although I have not tried it..

Personally, I use a Snug Pac Response butt pack when I am stalking locally, or a slightly large butt pack of the same style when I need to carry more kit.

Although I am very wary of looking like "Rambo" when out, modern military load bearing kit usually comes with molle attachments which basically mean they can be customized/ personalized very easily and re configured to suit the job at hand...

Regards,

Peter

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
I have a Stoney Creek pack. The main difference between this and most other packs is that it is made out of a tough fleece fabric, so it is quiet esp pushing through undergrowth. They are purpose built for hunting rather than military, so they are not going to withstand 6 months of running around with 500 rounds of GPMG link inside. But it will deal with tough hunting in all weather. I like the fact it will go through the washing machine when it's covered in blood.
Mine carries a Swazi Wapiti - big bulky coat, water bottle, has water bladder slot, smaller fleece top, choc bars, ammo. Been wearing it pheasant hunting and you can shoot off hand not probs.

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
I have a Stoney Creek pack. The main difference between this and most other packs is that it is made out of a tough fleece fabric, so it is quiet esp pushing through undergrowth. They are purpose built for hunting rather than military, so they are not going to withstand 6 months of running around with 500 rounds of GPMG link inside. But it will deal with tough hunting in all weather. I like the fact it will go through the washing machine when it's covered in blood.
Mine carries a Swazi Wapiti - big bulky coat, water bottle, has water bladder slot, smaller fleece top, choc bars, ammo. Been wearing it pheasant hunting and you can shoot off hand not probs.

I wish their were products like that easily available in the UK.. I have ordered Stoney Creek kit direct from NZ, but for an expensive item like a pack I would like to handle it/try it first.

One of the reviews on here mentioned a pack by Wisport, a Polish company I have never heard of. These packs are now available in the UK so I had a look what they had available and came across the Wisport Forester 28L shown below:

i-wisport-forester-28l.jpg

big_C-fakepath-forester-1.jpeg

The review is for a different model, but if it reflects the general build standard of Wisport packs, I think the Forester may well be worth a look.

Regards,

Peter

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE