The Ian Dent-Willoughby Cocoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
Ian asked me to trial his new invention and report back to him with my findings, he asked me to be as critical as I could so we could resolve any issues or faults. Well here is my honest opinion on this item.

As per the hammock under blankets and quilts the Cocoon is another invention and design of Ian Dent-Willoughby. Again it has been made by SnugPak to a very high quality standard using their latest lightweight but very insulating materials and contains a thermal reflective layer too.

The Cocoon is designed to be used in cold weather to keep hammock dwellers warm, it basically goes over your hammock to form an all round layer of insulation. (Ian will be posting some pictures I have sent him after this review).

The set up is very simple indeed, there is a head end and foot end, the head end is wider giving you more space at the shoulders and chest whilst being narrower at the foot to help keep those little piggies warm. You simply slide your hammock through the openings at either end of the cocoon and rig it up as you normally would. I set my hammock up first then unclip the hammock at the carabineers to slide the cocoon over.

The cocoon has a full length double sided zip so you can have easy access and it is easy to open and close from the inside. Once in you simply zip up the cocoon either all the way or just up to your face, the choice is yours, lie back and enjoy the warmth. After testing it a couple of times I found it beneficial to run an additional guy line through the cocoon, this was for a couple of reasons.

One, it lifts the cocoon away from your face so it does not feel as constricting or claustrophobic, (my wife said she felt a bit hemmed in without the guy line in), two it helps aid the ventilation of the cocoon when you have it fully zipped up. As you are enclosed your expelled air needs to be allowed to escape so as not to cause excessive condensation inside the cocoon which could lead to dampness and a reduction in efficiency of the cocoon, this escapes via the head end vent hole. It also allows you to hang small items such as a torch inside the cocoon with you.

So how does it work, well as you will see from the pictures Ian will be posting, I set it up without a tarp so you can clearly see all the details, it works extremely well, it is very easy to set up, get in and out of and it sure is warm. In the pictures we were out in fairly cold conditions, however I tested it out this Saturday (22/11/08) and it was a very clear cold night, at 01:30Hrs I had to answer the call of nature. When I unzipped the cocoon I felt the blast of cold hit me, I was only wearing boxers and a T shirt, there was a good frost on the grass too, but inside all zipped up I was extremely toasty. This was without any other form of cover, no sleeping bag or blanket, very impressive.

So my opinion, this is an excellent bit of kit well worth investing in. Even if you already (as I do) have an under blanket or quilt. This is a great bit of kit on its own, it could even be used as a sleeping bag for ground dwelling too, but if you fancy stopping out in really cold temperatures I recon this way out performs the quilt and blanket option, how about combining them together for mega warmth, cocoon over your under blanket and quilt, (my god you would melt unless you were in sub arctic conditions). In my wife’s opinion, she would prefer using the cocoon than a quilt and under blanket as it offers some privacy for a lady as it is enclosed, allowing her to have some degree of privacy when disrobing for sleep.

Did I have any dislikes about it, well the only comments I gave back to Ian on a negative were that I thought the colours should be reversed, i.e. green outside black inside as I thought it warmed up quicker with the black inside, also I like green as the outer colour as opposed to the black. We discussed fitting a line to lift the head end away from your face, but the use of a ridge line inside solved this issue so I don’t think additional lines are needed. Other than that no, nothing negative about it. Apart from the fact I have to give it back 
But my name is now on the group buy list.

It packs down to the size of a medium sleeping bag and when carrying this you don’t need carry a sleeping bag, thermarest mat, under blanket or quilt.

So hats off to Ian for coming up with another great bit of kit and I look forward to receiving my own ready for this winters trips out. Cheers Ian.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice review fella, I`m looking forward to seeing the piccies when Ian gets on.

Which hammock did you try it with, would it be long enought to cover the GB Magikelly one ?

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
Hi Shewie

I just used a Pyramid Jungle hammock, The cocoon ityself is huge, plenty long and wide enough.
As some of you know I am not a small chap and it was more than roomy enough for me to sprawl out inside. 6' 5" 48" chest, 17Stn. Still plenty of room left to spare.

My wife, who does not like being cold when camping said she would definately have one of these as it was warmer than her sleeping bag. I think this is mailny due to it being enclosed and retaining your body heat well.

I noticed a few asked about size and warmth so hopefully this will answer those questions.
Warmth is awesome, as I said I was just in boxers and T shirt and was well warm enough.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Very interested in one of these.Are they going to be available soon and any idea how much they'll be?

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
Hi Sapper1

Take a look on the group buy section for details of cost and availability.
Well worth it in my opinion.

No conection to Ian by the way in case anyone thinks I have.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Here are the first photos.

Attachments

• Coccoon 10.jpg
    Coccoon 10.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 1,120
  • Coccoon 11.jpg
    Coccoon 11.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,097
  • Coccoon12.jpg
    Coccoon12.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,087
  • Coccoon 14.jpg
    Coccoon 14.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,071
  • Coccoon 13.jpg
    Coccoon 13.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,072

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Good review, honest & impartial.

I have a HH and 2 DD's with mozzy netting. I know the HH is not suited for obvious reasons, but what about the DD's, would the cocoon fit over the mozzy netting or not?

Simon

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
Hi Simon

I think it would, this is something I am looking to try out before Ian collects the cocoon back from me. I will see if I can get to the woods today or tomorrow to give it a go.

I suspect at the very worst you could support the head end of the mozzinet inside the cocoon, and that you may have to let the foot end rest a bit lower or even just let it lie, but I will let you know how I get on.
Eeeh so much to do before I return to the relms of the employed persons.:D , but obviously I am glad to have found new employment so quickly, been a nice three week break in a way, got loads done... but we can chat about that at the meet.;)

Edit to reply to Dan too.

Dan, No need mate, you would not need the sleeping bag honest, if it was not as cold you just unzip the cocoon a bit and lie with your head and arms out if you wished to. You will get a better idea when Ian has posted the photos as in one shot I am slightly out of the cocoon.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Looks like a graet bit of kit. Looks warmer and easyer to set up than the underblanket and quilt set up. Im very interested.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Good review, honest & impartial.

I have a HH and 2 DD's with mozzy netting. I know the HH is not suited for obvious reasons, but what about the DD's, would the cocoon fit over the mozzy netting or not?

Simon

You could flip the DD upside down and sleep with the mozzie netting below you, just like a 'normal' hammock. Obviously the mozzie net won't be in use but if it's that cold, the bugs should be less of a problem.

Cheers,

Alan

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
OK, to answer some of these questions:

Addo, Yes it is.

MagiKelly, yes you can, there is plenty of room to lie across as I did Saturday night, it looks out of align in that photo but it does set up just fine.

SimonM, As Chainsaw says you can turn over your DD as there is no need for the mozzy net in these temps, but I will let you know tomorrow on how it goes with the net inside.

Verloc, 13” high by 9” across, 29” around, but you could pack it smaller if you really stuff it in the stuff sack. It is about half the size of my issue dos bag and weighs less than a bag of sugar.
The added benefit is you don’t have to carry a kip mat, sleeping bag, under blanket or quilt, so weight and size wise far less to carry.

Hope that helps you all.;)

Ian, did you get the other photos and are you putting any more on? If you need me to resend them let me know and I will go to the library to send them tomorrow. DUH! I should have looked at the earlier post before replying. :) Weird though as I had seen Simon & DanDan's posts but your first one had not shown up with the photos on until me replying now so I did not scroll down past my reply to those guys. Oh well all sorted and nice pictures, Gosh I am a hansome chap arent I.

Note to self, really need to get broadband back on at home.:eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE