The Hundred-Dollar Hamburger

Hi Everyone!

Airplane pilots in the US have a practice they jokingly call “the hundred-dollar hamburger”. It is a short flight to a nearby airport to eat lunch at the airport restaurant. Afterward, the pilot flies home. When you factor in the cost of renting the airplane, the pilot spends about $100 for a measly hamburger. The cost has risen over the years, but the term remains.

Of course, the hamburger is just an excuse to fly! "Making the journey the destination" is a wonderful approach for bushcrafters to adopt. I wish I practiced it more. Here is a coastal hundred-dollar hamburger I did several months ago. I enjoyed this particular hike so much that I plan to do it again in a few weeks.

My hundred-dollar hamburger

Do you have a favorite "hundred-dollar hamburger"? What's the most pleasantly unexpected thing that has happened to you during one of these meanders?

- Woodsorrel

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Good stuff there! A well written and nicely illustrated report of what seems to have been a great hike and balm for the soul!

Thanks for posting this :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
My wife and I have been known to drive 60+ miles to the town of Rhayader in mid-Wales, have a cup of tea and a cake in the café, walk around the air ambulance charity shop and come out empty handed, decide we can't be bothered to go to the Elan valley this time, and then go home again. It is a nice trip. :)

(The charity shop is sometimes very good and does well out of us, but like all such shops it is hit and miss)

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I've driven with SWMBO to Caister-on-Sea just North of Yarmouth to get fish and chips as we both like them from there, and get a bag of crab claws for £1 as a bonus from the same chip shop (opposite the caravan sites and beside the bus garage). He catches and cooks all he sells himself goodjob
A round trip of over 160 miles ;)

My wife and I have been known to drive 60+ miles to the town of Rhayader in mid-Wales, have a cup of tea and a cake in the café, walk around the air ambulance charity shop and come out empty handed, decide we can't be bothered to go to the Elan valley this time, and then go home again. It is a nice trip. :)

(The charity shop is sometimes very good and does well out of us, but like all such shops it is hit and miss)

This sounds like a nice "foraging" trip. :)

- Woodsorrel

I've driven with SWMBO to Caister-on-Sea just North of Yarmouth to get fish and chips as we both like them from there, and get a bag of crab claws for £1 as a bonus from the same chip shop (opposite the caravan sites and beside the bus garage). He catches and cooks all he sells himself goodjob
A round trip of over 160 miles ;)

This is very cool! There are several places along the coast in my area where you can purchase seafood directly from the fishermen after they tie-up to the dock. I have never tried it, but it sounds like a terrific outing.

- Woodsorrel

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I cycle a 34 mile round trip about once a month for my favourite fish and chip shop at Tynemouth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE