Newbie on the Ilse of Long (burb to NYC)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 19, 2013
NY, NY
Hi all across the pond,

I am Sparkie and live on LI just a 1/2 mile due north of where TWA Flight 800 exploded and crashed.

I am not a bush wacker but do try to learn stuff, not as a survivalist, , but well, things happen (like Hurricane Sandy). My dad had 4 feet of sea water in his basement , which left with the tide, my inlaws had 7 feet of poopie water in their basement , sewers backed up just before the tide finished filling the basement). They needed to be pumped out, disinfected and deodorized.

And so having a few alkystoves with water and a few dried meals is not a terrible idea. Additionally, if you travel in colder parts of USA (or Scotland I should think), having a few quilts in the car in cold weather is smart. Trust me on that, and it is a hoot to whip out your alky stoves and set up kitchen on a rest stop bench and make coffee and over easy eggs or 3 cheese omelet on perfect sized roll. I was given a 10 dollar tip by a guy who's mother in law NEEDED a cup or real coffee. She like I, refuse to drink McDonalds , or worse.. Instant. His only fix was to get off the interstate find a restaurant ......

My one kid is an Eagle Scout and loves to camp, so I came up with stuff for his use from places like this.

I have purchased a number of Swedish Military surplus Kits , as well have made a number of alky burners from aluminum cans.

I have a question, in the UK you are closer to the Swedes then me and I have need of the size of the o ring in the Svea/trangia military alky stove. I need the ID and the OD, and composition .

They cost about 70 cents here if you can find them. My wife was in London two weeks ago but I didn't have the dimensions, and she did not have time to find a store to buy them in.

Looking forward to hearing what I need to order.

Perhaps I will do some baking and post results here, but first I need the "Rings OF Power" , (sorry JRRT I could not help it). I have made 3 corn breads big enough to be a serious snack for two people then an apple pie filling, (split and fill it). As in a restaurant everything is in the prep. THink it out practice it at home in the yard, at tailgate party (boot party? like at an American Football game).

I have the SS pot set w/o the plastic cup and it is a piece of junk, sorta. It is sturdy and heavy and I can't make it work like the gent here who did the demo on Youtube.

ttfn

sparkie
Slave to the machine,
always pushing the boulder

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2013
NY, NY
Thanks, , but sensible... my wife would disagree, chuckle. And Like Rumpold of The Bailey, I refer to my wife as "She Who Must Be Obeyed"!

Besides, who has time for all those guns, then the practice then the cleaning, heck I do not clean my egg pan...and you better run if you do it when I am not around... More importantly, who has time for the end of the world? Serious prepping is not a disease, but certainly an obsession....and depressing... you are avowing TEOTWAWKI, at any second. I live by NYC, they nuke it I am only so much radioactive fall out in about 1/10000000000000000th of a second.

Pass me another Tankard, if you please, (actually a nice chilled Dinkle Acker Pils dark/light, matters not)

bye fer now

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE