The Hamlyn Guide to Edible & Medicinal Plants of Britain and Northern Europe.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
HI,

Anyone got a copy of this they would like to sell, or know where I can get a copy from?

I believe it's ISBN 0-600-37216-2 but I can't find it for sale anywhere.

Cheers
Dave Kranz

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
It's such a shame that books like this, not so very old become so expensive, so quickly :( I guess it is indicative of the mess of copyright and ownership issues with publishers etc. Rather like the RM 'The Survival Handbook' situation. A superb resource which is now priced well out of reach of most. I just don't see why publishers can ge there head around ePublishing better and get more of these books out to people.

Still, it is a truly great book and I have used it loads since I brought it for the cover price of £6.99 in 1987 and it came with a really good heavy duty plastic cover ;)

If you have never seen it here is a sample page as an example:

hamlyn_guide_edible_med.jpg

You can see how beautifully it is illustrated and how the layout really works for quickly finding relevant information. It even has recipes, medical notes etc. too.

However good it is £100 is just crazy for any book which is a 'users' as this type of book is. Imagine how useful it would be in electronic format, with searchable text etc....

The shame now is that I would be more concerned about losing it or ruining it out in the field. There are other books out there but this remains the best for me.

Check out this BCUK thread for loads more info on it and also some tips in searching;

Edible & Medicinal Plants - Real good read!

Keep an eye out for this version (known as the 'Country Life Guides' series ,too:

Guide to Edible and Medicinal Plants of Britain and Northern Europe
Author: Edmund Launert
Publisher: Hamlyn
Publication Date: 1981-09
ASIN / ISBN: 0600352811
List Price: £5.95
Paperback
288 Pages

For Swedish speakers you can get a Swedish version published in 1983.

for silly little price of SEK 50 (inkl moms) (ca-pris: 74:) :)

Details:

Nyttiga växter: över 400 arter med medicinskt och kulinariskt värde - en fälthandbok (286 sid.; ill.; Eng. originalets titel: "The Hamlyn Guide to edible and medicinal plants of Britain and northern Europe"), av: Launert, Edmund; översatt av: Andersson, Linda; granskad av: Nordin, Ingvar. Bonnier fakta, Stockholm, 1983. ISBN 9134502734.s

http://www.internetbokhandeln.se/bok.html?isbn=9134502734

good book hunting :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE