The Girls demonstrate the miraculous effects of Human Diesel Coffee

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'll remember those noodles and get them into my food kit, i take couscous to fill this exact same purpose, all it needs is hot water to absorb to be edible and really fills out any bushfeast onepot action nicely

So do oats and I know which I'd prefer lol

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Oats in a gamey broth or a pan of fried game meat and veg instead of couscous?

I always have a bag of oats with me too stored right next to my couscous in the dry bag, i'll be stocking the mung bean noodles right next to them

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice, the link was a polite way of saying that coconut oil is a processed fat and it gives a great many people abdominal discomfort from wind.

Very little coconut oil available in the open market is from simply pressed coconut meat (VCO) it's usually extracted with hexane.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_oil

Each to their own, but of all the nuts I eat, I intensely dislike coconut :yuck: HWMBLT likes the creamed coconut though. He eats it like a block of fudge.

cheers,
Toddy

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I don't see the point in adding coconut oil to your coffee! I used to do it as part of a serious training regime but it's seemed completely pointless!

I would far rather have a good quality coffee and a decent breakfast rather than trying to mix things together to the detriment of the way they taste

I don't see the point in adding coconut oil to your coffee! I used to do it as part of a serious training regime but it's seemed completely pointless!

I would far rather have a good quality coffee and a decent breakfast rather than trying to mix things together to the detriment of the way they taste

Well the point is to add calories... especially in the winter. And especially when the exertions make it hard to have enough appetite to eat the 5000-6000 calories that you need to intake.

The coffee tastes just fine.

:)

xylaria

I know the reason for it, I just don't see the point in it!

I am with you. Good breakfast and be comfortable with what ever you do. Life is too short to be competitive. The thread toddy linked too reminded me of vegan thing me and two freinds tried while at uni. Think small room and the campfire scene from blazing saddles. No criticism of a vegan diet but teenage students arent the most experienced or inventive cooks.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I am with you. Good breakfast and be comfortable with what ever you do. Life is too short to be competitive. The thread toddy linked too reminded me of vegan thing me and two freinds tried while at uni. Think small room and the campfire scene from blazing saddles. No criticism of a vegan diet but teenage students arent the most experienced or inventive cooks.

I could comment on this but I would like to keep my man bits intact.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:lmao:

One of my friends lived on a diet of noodles and terribly good for you sprouted every damned thing.
It was tasty enough, healthy, and it certainly kept her 'regular', but the fenugreek was a bit much when it came to the gas :rolleyes: then she discovered the wonders of the end of the day 5p and 10p bargains in the veggie section of the supermarket. Stir fry with fenugreek sprouts and asparagus.

Nuff said :sigh:

No wonder babies cry; wind hurts :(

M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My flatmate was addicted to brussel sprout and chick pea vindaloo. I win. There simply cannot be anything worse. I thought he was joking the first time. It was bad enough before he ate it!

xylaria

Cabbage soup diet, hats off to marketing for making gruel without a oats a moneymaking flatulence weight loss plan. We have something we aint supposed to eat. Life is too short to worry

. My camp breakfast when the kids were small was coffee flavoured porridge. It was cooked in flask over night. Very good at powering a mum up to lighting a fire cooking a second breakfast while having two under fives. There are quite a few blokes on here that go camping on thier own with small kids and first hand how hard morning is. But then it is also pretty great as well.

Cabbage soup diet, hats off to marketing for making gruel without a oats a moneymaking flatulence weight loss plan. We have something we aint supposed to eat. Life is too short to worry

. My camp breakfast when the kids were small was coffee flavoured porridge. It was cooked in flask over night. Very good at powering a mum up to lighting a fire cooking a second breakfast while having two under fives. There are quite a few blokes on here that go camping on thier own with small kids and first hand how hard morning is. But then it is also pretty great as well.

Nice. This is essentially a variation on your coffee porridge.

The Himalayans are hip to "fat in hot drink", but theirs is rancid butter. Takes a bit of getting used to, that does.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Some of the climbing and arctic region peeps have 'trained' their bodies to accept veg oil - just drink it straight down. About the only way to get the calories necessary for staying alive and being able to carry on. I note that Sir Fiennes needed heart bypasses and used this sort of approach sometimes.

I used to cycle a lot - 50 round trip every day to an from work plus 100milers on the weekend. Eating enough calories was very difficult, I ate a lot of butter, cheese and milk-based recovery drinks. This worked to deliver the calories but long-term wasn't a good thing for my health. Best kept for expeditions only, but still I think it wise to train your digestion to cope.

Some of the climbing and arctic region peeps have 'trained' their bodies to accept veg oil - just drink it straight down. About the only way to get the calories necessary for staying alive and being able to carry on. I note that Sir Fiennes needed heart bypasses and used this sort of approach sometimes.

I used to cycle a lot - 50 round trip every day to an from work plus 100milers on the weekend. Eating enough calories was very difficult, I ate a lot of butter, cheese and milk-based recovery drinks. This worked to deliver the calories but long-term wasn't a good thing for my health. Best kept for expeditions only, but still I think it wise to train your digestion to cope.

Oooh veg oil straight from the bottle. Brrrr.

The thing with the coconut fat is that is metabolises like a carbohydrate, but without the insulin effect.

Medium chain triglyceride.

Remarkable.

Maybe better for general health in the long term.

Certainly if doing it on a daily basis.

Man that is a LOT of mileage. Were you competing?

Last edited:

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Lol, I was commuting to work and back. Compared to some of my friends it wasn't many miles. There were 'interesting' side-effects, such as muscle breakdown if my protein intake dropped off. I don't normally eat much meat but one lunchtime found myself drooling as I walked past a roast chicken stall - bought one intending it to last a few days and ate it in one sitting. Think that was my body telling me something.
I only do about 150m a week now.

Long term consumption of coconut fat is problematic due to the odd metabolic pathways it goes through, producing a very raised blood cholesterol level on the way. Human bodies are complex things.

Lol, I was commuting to work and back. Compared to some of my friends it wasn't many miles. There were 'interesting' side-effects, such as muscle breakdown if my protein intake dropped off. I don't normally eat much meat but one lunchtime found myself drooling as I walked past a roast chicken stall - bought one intending it to last a few days and ate it in one sitting. Think that was my body telling me something.
I only do about 150m a week now.

Long term consumption of coconut fat is problematic due to the odd metabolic pathways it goes through, producing a very raised blood cholesterol level on the way. Human bodies are complex things.

Still a lot of miles. Wow.

Did you have any Rhabdo issues?

I looked into the cholesterol thing in some medical studies. Seems the jury is still out. They did studies with some polynesian groups who have coconut fat as their main foodstuff.

Certainly seems that virgin pressed oil doesn't produce issues, in their bodies. Maybe they are adapted differently. Pubmed has some up to date research. (I don't tend to believe the hype either way. :). )

For me in any case, it's not an everday large amounts of it sort of thing.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'd not heard of Rhabdo. Don't think I had issues with that. My health/robustness isn't great anyway due to injuries and childhood Perthes disease.

There is one significant study into whether reductions of saturated fat consumption reduced heart disease which didn't find significant reductions. My problem with the study is that it was wimpy. They reduced intake by 30%. ***. Would you tell a heroin user to reduce by 30% then say the reduction didn't stop their addiction? Bad example. I was told dietary changes wouldn't help me but no harm in trying. Dropped (saturated animal fats) intake by more than 90%. Doctor says "Wow your results are good, that's very impressive."

What your body wants as fuel for exertion is odd. I've done one extended duration ride in recent years (24-hour ride), about 260miles. By the end of it I would have sold my children for some soup and could not face anything sweet. Beer tasted mighty good tho'!
Baked beans are very very good. At the end of a 60mile overnight ride, with another 60miles to go, my daughter was out of it, couldn't face food, wouldn't eat, but wanted to keep on eating. I made her eat 3 spoonfuls of beans (all she could stomach). Within 15min she was back to a more coherent state and could sensibly eat.

Parbajtor

Maker
Feb 5, 2014
Surbiton
www.tanczos.co.uk

There's a thing called asafoetida used in indian and middle eastern cooking, which imparts body to vegetable dishes and counteracts the wind produced from beans & pulses. A little goes a long way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE