*The* Gift-It-On Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I've never done it, but I understand that they are usually good steel. I think there have been several examples on here.

If someone with knowledge took them and then found they were not suitable, I'd be perfectly willing to exchange them.

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
sorry to butt in but are files a good basis for making a blade ? ? ? [ newbie ]

search the forum (and elsewhere) for 'fileknife' - there are many tutorials and examples to be found. It seems to be first choice of many for a source of decent steel, especially for those starting out. :)

On Offer from Harvestman .....

One of the following:

1. Two files suitable for blademaking. Both 8mm thick. One has been shaped already. The bigger one is a foot long

Or
2. Another pair of files. The coarse rasp is 7mm thick and the smaller file 4-5mm thick. The rasp is a foot long, plus tang.

Or
3. A set of old drill bits, with various tips. All these bits have square bases, rather than the modern hexagonal sorts, and they don't fit any of my drills. I've tried for a close up of the tips.

Or
4. A set of firelighting materials, to include cramp balls, dried birch polypore, bulrush head (whole one), fatwood, tyre inner tube, and anything else I can lay my hands on that might burn (!). No photo at present, but could do one on request.

Last edited:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Here we go then, completed this morning (though possibly still subject to some more sharpening and handle polishing)
IMG_4706.jpg

IMG_4707.jpg

Its a file knife, made under the video tutelage of Greenpete, reasonably sharp, handle scales are recycled hickory oiled with Danish oil, brass pins and a brass lanyard tube. I have to restrict this to over 18's only and I cannot supply a sheath as I don't have one. It is made in the style of a celebrity, but I don't call it a clone.

ATB

Ogri the trog

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
SHOTGUN! I want that knife! Thankyou so much for posting such a great gift, I just love Christmas!!
Can't believe I got there, what an epic gift! And I just got some leather from Christmas to resheath one of my other knives so I can do this one too and will post the the results.
Offer to follow shortly when I find something suitable and get some pictures up

Last edited:

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Right my offer is:
An emergency messing set (or for when you just can't be bothered to cook).
The set is to consist of a pair of mess tins (tarnished from some use but nothing serious and no dents),
A hexamine burner stove
Some water purification tablets
And from rations; tea and whitener
Hot chocolate (the new good stuff)
Cream of vegetable soup
Vegemite (some people just love this stuff)
Bacon omelette and beans
(Might chuck in some extra bits or some tinder stuff to pad out the package)
In other words, a complete high energy food supply for when your sitting in the woods under your tarp in the pouring rain, wondering what on earth you took up bushcraft for (or a great beginner set).

ATB
Dan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE