*The* Gift-It-On Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 14, 2012
uk
Looking like your not tiptop at Gio......like when I had to cover the postage for a couple of rubbish crabs.....I know your a bairn , but come on....why take stuff then put yersen through struggle to offer summat an post it. We know how hard it can be being a youth , but sometimes its better to not get involved in an area that's beyond your means.

Someone has to say it.

i guess im not to good with this GIO stuff i will leave off it once i have this one posted with the correct postage and address and all :( in any case i guess its not fair that i almost only hang about for the GIO as i dont really use the whole forum as much as i used to :( once again im sorry :(
Cheers Ed

Mar 14, 2012
uk
Sometimes I guess folks just see something they would like and dont necessarily have something ready to trade. Its not like we all have a box marked "stuff to trade" hanging around. I have been let down somewhat on this thread but have to remember its is a "gift it on" rather than a "trade it on". Sometimes life gets in the way.

Go easy on him guys, he's explained the situation and its cool.

I'm late sending out my 'gift' for harvestman....life get in the way sometimes. I know i'm only a newbie here, but has the 'Gift it on' thread lost its way a bit? I love the idea of passing things on but i'm not sure its worth the barracking

cheers

Joab

thanks guys but tbh i have waded into something i cant really keep on top of but read my post above any way im sorry :(
Cheers Ed

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Got to say that this has gone down hill, it's always supposed to be a light hearted fun thing to participate in and it's turned into a serious, uptight thread where some have lost the spirit of it.

has it run it's course?

Or can it revert back to a fun, lighthearted activity where people aren't offended when things don't work out?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
hmm.. it certainly has changed. I've only ever taken 3 things and unless I'm wrong have offered up things that are pretty useful in return.

be honest with me, are my items naff? pellets, co2 capsules, snare wire, survival guide and a tankard I thought were good.. :eek:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Samon, I don't think there's any issues like this, the tone has changed.

Maybe we close this one and start a new 2013 one and have a fresh start where we can all keep in mind that it's a spot of fun

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
up to you dude, I can imagine aslong as 'it' remains the majority will be happy. But maybe the nature one has gone a little awol at times.. do what you think's best.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Samon, I don't think there's any issues like this, the tone has changed.

Maybe we close this one and start a new 2013 one and have a fresh start where we can all keep in mind that it's a spot of fun

It'd certainly make admin easier - I'd add the rule can't take unless you can offer up at the same time- it'll keep things going and potentially make things a lot more interesting.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
It'd certainly make admin easier - I'd add the rule can't take unless you can offer up at the same time- it'll keep things going and potentially make things a lot more interesting.

I think that is a good idea. If you take something you're offer should have to be in the same post as your acceptance of the current gift.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I think that is a good idea. If you take something you're offer should have to be in the same post as your acceptance of the current gift.

sounds pretty good to me!

what do the creator of the gio and the other admins think?

Bluezephyr

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2013
Stratton
hmm.. it certainly has changed. I've only ever taken 3 things and unless I'm wrong have offered up things that are pretty useful in return.

be honest with me, are my items naff? pellets, co2 capsules, snare wire, survival guide and a tankard I thought were good.. :eek:

I could only find a use for the tankard but I have one already, I'm waiting in the wings on this thread for something I could use and already have something planned to gift on, your items are a random selection of things I unfortunately don't have a need for.

Great thread. :)

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire

This sounds like a plan.
Maybe start a fresh thread......

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm late sending out my 'gift' for harvestman....life get in the way sometimes. I know i'm only a newbie here, but has the 'Gift it on' thread lost its way a bit? I love the idea of passing things on but i'm not sure its worth the barracking

cheers

Joab

I should add here that I have no problem whatsoever with this, as Joab was very quick to send me a PM explaining. Communication is always the key, and as people said, it is a gift. I'm more than happy to wait, and wouldn't want anyone thinking that Joab had done anything wrongly.

No problem with restarting the thread, but to be honest it is more about the way people feel under pressure on this thread that is the problem than the rules themselves.

Perhaps we can have a rule that says problems need to be discussed via PM, not on open boards, to avoid issue of people being publically humilated. If you want to post something in the thread itself that is detrimental to other users it should need clearing with a moderator first.

the weird thing about all this is that the rest of the forum is so friendly and relaxed, but this thread has become, as others put it, a bit tense.

Your offer is fine Samon. Nothing wrong or rubbish there.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Regarding the situation that often happens when a gifter has an item that doesn't imediately spark interest: should the gifter feel obliged to offer up something else at the rate they do now i.e usually ina day or two?

This is the pressure many gifters are feeling currently, "I best not take that even though I want/need it as the crowd is damn tough to please" - "will my gift be good enough" - "what if noone wants it right away, should I offer up more?" - "can I leave the thread a week or so to see if my items/s get spotted by a potential giftee" and in general an unease with all the bumping.

I understand the bumping is done to keep it rolling but at the same time it adds pressure to the gifter and gives a 'hurry up, what's next!?' vibe to the place.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside

This would solve a lot of issues quite easily, at the end of the day, value of gifts has no importance what so ever it's as the old saying goes, one man's (woman's) sh1t is another man's (woman's) treasure. Let's keep this thread going either in this one or in a new one (with guidance) which I think is a great idea.

Bluezephyr

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2013
Stratton
This would solve a lot of issues quite easily, at the end of the day, value of gifts has no importance what so ever it's as the old saying goes, one man's (woman's) sh1t is another man's (woman's) treasure. Let's keep this thread going either in this one or in a new one (with guidance) which I think is a great idea.

I know people may say I'm a newbie shut up what do you know.

I vote for start a new thread, don't ask for something if you don't have anything to offer in the same post.
Everyone on here has camping or bushcraft items that we don't need (we all buy stuff we regret later) if gifting it on appeals to you, sort out your gear now and put to one side.
And if you can't give it away on here, wait until there's a local meet up with forum members, take it with you and let people take what they want without pressure of having to give something back.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
The threads fine, keep it as should be but start a new one for 2013, same rules as before, we all dont sit round putas all day so the only take if youncan offer rules a bit un fair, sometimes in dinner at work i may see something but dont know my offer till i getbhome. And indont sit and hover over this thread day and night, its a GIO thread gave folf a chance to sort something. If the thread stalls amday or two so what. Theres moremto life to seenwhat the next gift is. It just seems the same folk sit on here and hawk for bargains wether they need it or not.
Just chill and remember why it was started,
stay safe Al

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE