The Genographic Project - who were your ancestors?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
The Genograpic Project

What is the Genographic Project?
National Geographic and IBM are embarking on a landmark five-year study that will assemble the world's largest collection of DNA samples to map how humankind populated the planet.

The Genographic Project will use sophisticated computer analysis of DNA contributed by hundreds of thousands of people—including indigenous populations and the general public—to reveal man's migratory history and to better understand the connections and differences that make up the human race.

The Genographic Project has three core components:
Field Research—The core of the project is the collection of blood samples from indigenous populations, whose DNA contains key genetic markers that have remained relatively unaltered over hundreds of generations making them reliable indicators of ancient migratory patterns. Dr. Wells and a group of 10 scientists from prominent international institutions will conduct the field and laboratory research. One additional research center will focus on analyzing DNA from ancient remains. The Waitt Family Foundation is funding this component of the Genographic Project. An international advisory board will oversee the selection of indigenous populations for testing as well as adherence to strict sampling and research protocols.

Public Participation and Awareness Campaign—The general public can take part in the project by purchasing a Genographic Project Public Participation Kit and submitting their own cheek swab sample, allowing them to track the overall progress of the project as well as learn their own migratory history. These personal results are stored anonymously to protect the privacy of participants. National Geographic will regularly update the public and the scientific community on project findings, including through the website and through National Geographic's many other media platforms worldwide.

Genographic Legacy Project—Proceeds from the sale of the Genographic Public Participation Kits help fund future field research and a legacy project, which will build on National Geographic's 117-year-long focus on world cultures. The legacy project will support education and cultural preservation projects among participating indigenous groups.

The 10 research centers are located around the world and will represent their respective regions. The centers are located in Australia (Australia/Pacific), Brazil (South America), China (East/Southeast Asia), France (Western/Central Europe), India, Lebanon (Middle East/North Africa), Russia (North Eurasia), South Africa (Sub-Saharan Africa), the United Kingdom (Western/Central Europe), and the United States (North America).

What makes this project so different?
Most of what we know about anthropological genetics is based on DNA samples donated by approximately 10,000 indigenous people from around the world. While this has given us a broad view of the patterns of human migration, it represents but a small sample of humanity's genetic diversity. Over the next five years, The Genographic Project will attempt to collect and analyze DNA blood samples from over 100,000 indigenous people making it the world's largest study of its kind in the field of anthropological genetics. The resulting data will map world migratory patterns dating back some 150,000 years and will fill in the huge gaps in our knowledge of humankind's migratory history. This data will eventually comprise the largest database of its kind.

In addition to the field research component, the Genographic Project is reaching out to the public. The general public around the world will be invited to participate in the study by purchasing a Genographic Public Participation Kit. By sending in a simple cheek swab sample, a participant can learn about his or her own deep ancestry while contributing to the overall Project.

You can participate!!

FAQs

National Geographic - The Genographic project
Also have a look at the interesting "Interactive atlas of the human journey" at the right on your screen.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I hadn't heard about this. Thanks for the links.
Sounds interesting, but at just under £75 per person I really doubt they'll get the response that is truly required to do the project justice.

Cheers,
Toddy

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Toddy said:
I hadn't heard about this. Thanks for the links.
Sounds interesting, but at just under £75 per person I really doubt they'll get the response that is truly required to do the project justice.

Cheers,
Toddy
Interesting but like Toddy says at £75 i cannot see it proving too popular!

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
CLEM said:
Interesting but like Toddy says at £75 i cannot see it proving too popular!

Must agree with both of you. Way too much money to see some arrows on a computerscreen, isn't it?
If they would make it somewhere around £20-30, they would have a(n even) bigger response ... It probably has to do something with overhead, costs etc. ...

Still an interesting project though :D

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, there's a similar, smaller project run for my Clan (Clan Gregor) which I'd really like to participate in, but it's over a hundred quid for the tests...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE