The Gathering 2013 the report :) So Far

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I am just back from the Wilderness Gathering 2013. This is a quick report and once I have got myself together a fuller report will be forthcoming, but it gives chance for others for post somewhere :)

I arrived on Thursday the 15th at the start of my holiday, at the Gathering, and although not every went smoothly at the start (my wing mirror glass falling of, but luckily not breaking, great a couple of days before an MOT :) ) I was hoping for a nice relaxing time just meeting new and old members and having a chin wag with some and maybe making a few purchases as well. I rocked up by four in the afternoon and everything went smooth on arrival got my ticket and car pass and settled on the decision to camp in the woods. I did a quick set up of a hammock and tarp and then a admin area of another tarp and several trips later and I had my bags all there...

To be continued....

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
I went for a quick wander trying to see what would be on offer and who was there...As I was travelling around the main area who should I see the easily identifiable site of one stall and right next to them a small stand of a certain master blacksmiths (of this parish) ( in other words it was Endicotts and Dave Budd)

As I approached from a great distance I could see a blaze orange watch cap and someone wearing a brown outfit.....who could this mystery person be........a micro second later my brain told who this was.....our very own man of magic and fun Chris the Cat shooting through my brain then came other ideas what was going to happen this weekend :) I approached the group my mind was right I also saw other old faces, StaurtF and Emma, Kev from Endi's, Dunc (FYGT) and others but there was new faces as well Theresa a buckskin clad young American woman from Wyoming originally but well travelled but there was one person missing.....Dave Budd .............

Meet and greets went well and introductions rules for Man crèche (there are two you may know) there is no man crèche, and no one mentions man crèche unless it is funny then can only be posted here....

I moved one and greeted other old friends and returned to my pitch where I met a neighbour of mine Jake an ex Matelots (Naval person to normal people) and had a good chat with him a few beers later and I was cooking diner which I shared with him and we continued to chat. I made a beef stew made with hobgoblin and slow cooked using a cheep disposable bbq ( which lasted well over 3 hours from lidl).

I then returned later to Dave's still no sign of him he finally got back about Ten but the conversations had been varied and fun and Sonni and family (Angst) had also joined us. the ale and spirits flowed and when Dave had finally showed up and was chatting to Angela (who had just put a sleeping Oliver down by her side and and was sitting next to me) and had asked to hold her cider ( yes that cider) at that minute a small flying object flew through the air and landed on her (also knocking
the mug in my hand which I was hold over her to return to her hand) ........you can see where this is heading.....The flying object was of cause Dave Budd and yes gravity took over the some of contents of the mug and landed on Angie I was gutted and she was angry ( cider is special at the gathering and it effects are varied but dull heads are involved and sometimes shaving of teeth is required) the night continued but did not finish late (around midnight to oneish for most) as most wanted to be up early to set up or wander tomorrow and we wanted to save ourselves..............

tbc

Last edited:

Bushmanron

Mar 26, 2013
Coventry
I was there too at the end of the wood long trek with far too much kit. Maybe we exchanged good mornings. We emjoyed the site though there seemed too much wood felling for my liking. The groups around us were all nice people and this made for some great conversation.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
lololol.....superb....haha! its ok mate...i'm sure she'll get ya back sometime....and she was hardly an angel herself lol....i'll be doing my write-up too, so all will be revealed haha!

carry on dude....

a

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
continuing......

Friday morning arrived and because I was on holiday a lie in in my hammock was needed and enjoyed (dull head also perscribed it) I finally got up at half past severn and made myself a morning coffee (admittedly instant but tiger tiger coffee is nice and strong for a 3 in 1) and sorted out some breakfast and the rest of me soon got sorted.

Around half eight to nine I started my full investigations of what was on ofer at this years Gathering, some new stores were there and lots of old ones. I investigated further and spent alot of time over the day making purchases, chatting to friends, looking at lovely objects people had crafted and made a learning lots of stuff.

Over my wanderings a few shout outs have to be mentioned, Dunc had his normal knives and a fair few of his new parangs on show and offer, and along with Rob Evans who I also liked the look of his Skookum style blade which looks like more purchases later; the other blade showers in the main shed were good. On the lakeside there was our very own Sonni with beneath the stars leather work with some outstanding work (more later), Woodland trails and some excellent woodcarvers. I then moved onto the main arena and worked my way around. I had a long stop at the Nordic guys from Scotland and finally decided after much deliberation on a small hatchet from GB and the final decision was made easier after seeing LP had made it :) it fitted my hand and felt good and means i have smallaxe that i can carry and use all day. I continued to work my way around and had a chat to a few other friends Dave was finally starting to dig his forge around three in the afternoon and Teresa was drawing a design for a new buckskin top, Chris that Cat who had been earlier working on the den building with Staurt wss back onit so i left with the kids, had spoken during my wanderings earlier. Then it was a trip to Endi's and a few purchases later i was happy earlier in the day Kev had been inundated with people requiring ponchos, bashas and waterproofs. I made my way to Ben Oford's stand some nice knives there to. Bison bushcraft run by Roger who runs the gathering had loadsof great stuff to ( a guide shirt and tweed bison hoody are firmly on the wishlist) Mark at Shark designs had also done a great talk on sharening and showed and proved his technique on my swiss army knife so that it is now push sharp :) Also after my nordic outdoor axe purchase I hadgone back to Sonni and decided i needed one of his axe sheathes and belt loops for my new axe, he was jealous as he had one but it was not an LP :)

By the time I got back to my pitch i had another new neighbour Mark another Matelot and I was beginning to wander how close t the sea I was? we had a god conversation and aftera while I was cooking again, i made loads and so shared it with Mark and Jake and we talked for a while.

Wechated about various stuff and Dave Budds name had come up a couple of times and I told them I was off to man creche and asked iif they wanted to join me. three happy wanders headed down and the newbies were fully welcomed with forge water, a few of Staurts ales a couple of other pass rounds and lots of good conversations.......

tbc

Last edited:

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
Saturday was much like Friday but the diffence of starting a bit later having a dubious hot shower (hot cold and dripping at times but at least cleaning) the same wanders and spending a lot more time in mn creche which i finally left in the early hours forgetting my hat but managing to take my other stuff such as salty snacks and my southern comfort my Whisky had not made it through to the Saturday evening. I had also manged to make some sales on the bring and by but not enough for another purchase yet.

on came sunday morning with a dry mouth and thick head. Five litres of water and a couple of coffees saw me ready to head for my morning constitutional and abblutions. I returned to m camp and got my sales kit got that sorted and went back to make breakfast which cause it was my last day and i wanted to use up more of my fresh constisted of a mountainman breakfast which included sasuage, frikadler, potatoes, spring onions, fresh red and green chillies, cheating garlic and the last of my eggs, the slow start to the day was required and you guessed i did share my food with Jake and Mark for me it was great good company and food which for us was starting to wind down.

More wanders and many more conversations later slow pack up ( several trips to the car later) i was unfortunately saying my goodbyes. I gave Jake and Teresa a lift to the sytation and finally made way back to work to sort out before heading home.

I wouldlike to mention a few people before signing off and being open to questions :)

Roger Harrington for organising such a great event. Dave Budd for his man chreche and hospitality, Chris the Cat, Stuart Emma, Kev, Mark at Shark:) Marmite, Sonni, Angie and Oliver(sorry again Angie) :) Dunc and Rob, Swallow and Family and everyone else i have forgotten in this write up (Somethings have to stay in man chreche and be saved for people who were there) although other things may come out over time and torture or if i remember them :)

Thnks to you all

see you next year

Last edited:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Good work Pete.
Good of you to share as much as you did around the fire.
You did well on the boys toys this year mate!

Best.

da C.

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
Friday morning arrived and because I was on holiday a lie in in my hammock was needed and enjoyed (dull head also perscribed it) I finally got up at half past severn and made myself a morning coffee (admittedly instant but tiger tiger coffee is nice and strong for a 3 in 1) and sorted out some breakfast and the rest of me soon got sorted.

What is tiger tiger coffee ?

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Did he mentioned how much gear he flogged on the bring and buy stall????:lmao:
I skim read it as im just about to eat me tea..
D

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Nope.. he def missed that out of the report..... there was an awful lot of gear on there with his name on it though!! :D

Yep he should have brought a trailer not a rucksack!!!
Only joking Pete nice to meet you!
We shifted a lot of gear on the bring and buy stall!!! Mind I only bought a few bits this time...😉

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
to answer a few questions:

tiger tiger coffee is a 3 in 1 brand made by coffi coffi and aviable at home bargins and B&M you can buy a tub of 40 sachets for about 4 pounds it does not have a load of chemicals in it and is very nice the tiger tiger is the stronger of the two flavours.

bring and buy :) many thanks for running that stand :) Yes i did make a nice amount on the stall not enough for a new bark river knife i had my eyes on or a fygt parang i started of with two bergens full of kit and still carried a sleeping bag separate but i did have a few items left including one of the bergens and two sleeping bags and a couple of tops. I did buy a Dave Budd firesteel (he did not have any normal sporks, that will be next years purchase then a knife) an orange watch cap from Kev whch Chris had modeled so well throughout the Gathering so i will be seen when i go around the hills especially Snowdon and Ben Nevis (i always seem to get fog on them two) and a strop and some tinder stuff from Mark at Shark designs. I decided to save the rest because i was having a service and mot on the car on the tuesday after the Gathering, it is just as well as it has cost me double the normal cost cause of repairs i have had to had done.

hope that answers some of the questions, unfortunately my laptop has given up the ghost and so i have had to do this report on my kindle so sorry for no photos

Last edited:

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I'm still a bit short on words. Probably overwhelmed from seeing

:tapedshut eat his own pink Mickey Mouse,

:tapedshut give her mammaries to :tapedshut and

:tapedshut showing us his entry wound.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE