The F1 project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
Some of you know I tested the F1 about a year ago. These were my statements and I still stand by them:

Blade:

I like the shape of the blade. I've got a few BRKT knives so I'm familiar with convex grinds. In fact like them a lot. I noticed the F1 had a small secondary bevel. Not to my taste. My friend didn't like it either, so we removed it. The VG10 isn't all that difficult to sharpen imho.
The blade is too thick for my taste. I think the angle of the grind is too acute.

Fuzzsticks:
Did a fair job although the thick blade made it more difficult to control. I then used my BRKT Huntsman, which is about the same thickness, and it felt a lot better. I think the only reason for this is a better geometry.

Carving:
Horrible! I'm used to convex edges, but this one didn't work at all for me! I found it very hard to control. Not like my Snowy river.

Food preperation:
It did ok. Didn't have any problems cutting meat. It did split carots however.

Batoning:
Well the F1 is a beast! I had no problems splitting willow and birch. Edge was in great shape afterwards.

Handle:

I don't like it. The termorun handle feels slippery and too much hot spots. The handle is too thin for me. Perhaps it's better to buy a blade blank? Don't know.

Sheath:

It had a leather fold-over sheath. Good quality.

Conclusion:

This knife is below average imo. It doesn't do anything great except batoning. Some people will probably like it, but I don't. Perhaps if Fallkniven would change their geometry and make the handle a bit thicker, I would like it. Now I don't. I'd take a scandi or a BRKT over an F1 anytime.

Michiel

Now I believe I can make this knife better. A less crude grind and a fuller handle. So I made a new thread in the "Items wanted" section on BB for an F1.

I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome.

Best regards,

Michiel

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'll look forward to it.

I've always thought that all the F1 needs to be a good knife is a different blade and handle :)

Red

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
Somehow I knew you would be the first to post in this thread :D

I agree. I didn't want a blade blank because I want to see if I can get on whith the handle by just sanding it. If not, I'll remove the handle and make a new one. That should be interesting as it is my first hidden tang :D

Best regards,

Michiel

leon-1

I use and make them. The F1 with a thermorun handle was designed to be used with a glove mainly in extreme circumstances / weather.

Michiel, I have handled a lot of F1's and as yet have never come across one with a secondary bevel.

If you don't like the grind then re-profile it, there is enough metal there that you can do it, I have and mine works fine. It is a mass production knife and designed mainly for the military, not a custom job, so it's gonna be very much horses for courses.

I made my F1 because I liked the blade shape and despite the fact that I have a fair amount of custom cutlery this is still the first knife I reach for when I go out to do any bushcraft work.

I have a BRKT Fox River somewhere, it was not any where near the knife that the F1 is and sits somewhere in my house as a forgotten lump of junk, with a handle that is neither wide enough or long enough and a very poor sheath. It cost a lot more than an F1.

As I say it's very much horses for courses.

I'm with Leon-1 on this. I like the F1. I have small hands so the handle dosen't pose me a problem. There is no secondary bevel on mine. My only gripe is that it is a little thick for slicing carrots thinly, but that's no big deal. I have carved a number of spoons with it and had no blisters and is was fine for carving. The convex blade responds very well to polishing on a butchers steel and I find it easy to sharpen, and with the man made handle it's a sinch to clean it after gutting a rabbit or two. As has been said, each to their own, and I'm an F1 fan.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
I agree with Leon. Horses for courses it is. Unfortunately I don't like the standard horse :D
So I want to change it so it suits me :D

Sorry to hear about the Fox river. I like it. I you want I'll take it of your hands :D

Best regards,

Michiel

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
Update:

I got an F1. Standard version with the new Zytel sheath. The knife is the same, but what a terrible sheath? I loved the leather and the older kydex ones, but this belt loop seems so flimsy. Anybdy else noticed this.

It will get a treatment on the belt grinder when I get home and thin the edge.

Best regards,

Michiel

leon-1

Ask Ahjno, he has one with the new Zytel sheath. Since I am not a great fan of plastic I don't do Kydex, Concealex or Zytel, but as I said, horses for courses.

Kydex, concealex and Zytel have at least one major advantage in as much as they are easy to clean.

The leather sheaths are still available since I was told by the UK distributor for them about three months ago (I had an enquiry so checked), but at least you get the option unlike with BRKT.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
I really liked the leather ones. The fold over was very good. From hat I've heard the dangler is too.

It is indeed very easy to clean, but lacks the character. I think I'll get one of BRKT"s sheaths.

They have several now:

Standard brown
Standard Black
EEP Brown
EEP black

EEP stands for extreme envirinment protection (spelling?)

It's completely water resistant.

Best regards,

Michiel

leon-1

I really liked the leather ones. The fold over was very good. From hat I've heard the dangler is too.

I have used both, with the flap and without (the dangler) they're good, but not ideal for military purpose.

It is indeed very easy to clean, but lacks the character. I think I'll get one of BRKT"s sheaths.

They have several now:

Standard brown
Standard Black
EEP Brown
EEP black

EEP stands for extreme envirinment protection (spelling?)

It's completely water resistant.

Best regards,

Michiel

I must admit I didn't know they had changed their tat.

Water resistance is a complete cop out, leather is completely water resistant, so is treated leather, wood, cloth and many others.

In the end a sheath has a big hole in the top and water will get in no matter what you try, if it was waterproof then it would be a fully enclosed and sealed package.

Zytel, concealex and Kydex can all claim to be water resistant to the same degree as EEP.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
I thinned the blade yesterday.

Started at 300 grit and finished with a 1500 grit to get a nice satin finish. I tested the blade by batonning it across the grain into a piece of oak. The blade was in great condition afterwards.

I'm really liking it now. It's going to see a lot of use from now on.

Best regards,

Michiel

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
For the people who have a zytel sheath:

The black strap has a brass button. Polishes nicely with a bit of metal polish like autosol or semichrome.

Makes it a bit more pleasing to the eye :D

Michiel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE