The DoE SAK

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I was in a camping shop at lunchtime - they had the usual glass case of knives, mostly SAKs.

The 'DoE' SAK caught my eye, because of the completely rounded-off tip. I don't have a problem with that. Still a practical knife.

But what brain-dead twit decided to put a bottle opener on the DoE SAK, but omit a can-opener?

So 15-year olds on DoE expeditions really really need a bottle-opener for their beer?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
the bottle opener is a can opener too, as well as a flat blade screw driver, i take it you mean this one chap,:)

1302697988_65.jpg

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
I think its disgraceful - they hav estill left nasty pointy scissors on there. And as for the toothpick they could poke their eye out with it.

I feel a letter to the Times coming on.

:rolleyes:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
the bottle opener is a can opener too, as well as a flat blade screw driver, i take it you mean this one chap,:)
That's the one.

Have you tried opening a can with it? Doesn't look like it would work very well. I didn't even think it could be used as a can opener.

They could have left the awl on there - it's dang useful for emergency repairs to stuff (particularly since it has a 'needle' hole; push awl through fabric, put thread through hole, pull back, etc).

That's the one.

Have you tried opening a can with it? Doesn't look like it would work very well. I didn't even think it could be used as a can opener.

They could have left the awl on there - it's dang useful for emergency repairs to stuff (particularly since it has a 'needle' hole; push awl through fabric, put thread through hole, pull back, etc).

Works very well as a can opener its the one i base my Bush keys on ;)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Not as well as the standard SAK can opener though, the SAK can opener is one of my favourite pocket knife can openers, because it works so well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE