The Dales Way

Mr_Riff

Aug 13, 2012
Manchester
I'm looking at doing the Dales Way in a few weeks as my 1st National Trail/Long Distance Walk.

Has anyone on here completed it and if so, can it be done Hammocking each night?? I dont want to spend money on b&b's or getting a solo tent/shelter if i dont need to.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hey Mr. Riff. I've been doing some research into this as I'm looking at doing the Dales way this summer. I can tell that you that Hammocking is not an option really. My advice is to plot the route on Google earth and get an idea of the terrain.

Much as I love my hammock if your thinking of doing it in Winter tent is the only way to go.

Mr_Riff

Aug 13, 2012
Manchester
Thanks for the reply Copper Head.
Looks like i'm gonna have to get a tent then :( limited options available as i'm 6'5". Hopefully the Zephyros 2 XL might be big enough for me.

How are you planning to do it in the summer?

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I have a Zephyros 2 (an older model though) no problems stretching out at 6'2 but I cant sit up in it. Not a major issue but annoying when you need to cook from inside your tent.

That said it's probably going to be the tent I use when I do the Dales Way. My rough plan is to do it over 7 days and do a mixture of wild camping and campsites. Probably going to book a B&B for at least one night for beer and decontamination ;).

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
As long as youve got the right kit you can hammock in any weather. I've hammocked in -5 and I know people who have gone a lot colder! :)

ATB
Jordan

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
As long as youve got the right kit you can hammock in any weather. I've hammocked in -5 and I know people who have gone a lot colder! :)

ATB
Jordan

Oh I'm all for hammock camping in the cold :). More a lack of trees in convenient camping spots. From the bits of woodland I have found its mostly high level plantation pine, which is a bit grim to camp in (although not impossible I guess).

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Ahhhh that makes sense then! There are certain tarp configurations you can use that fully enclose you in the same way a tarp would which would mean you wouldnt need to buy a tent , assuming you have a tarp!

Just google/youtube all weather tarp set ups :)

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I am still thinking about going tarp and bivvy for my go at it. Not much privacy in the campsites though.

Now what I really need is a Sil Mini-peak, if only I could convince my missus...

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I am still thinking about going tarp and bivvy for my go at it. Not much privacy in the campsites though.

Now what I really need is a Sil Mini-peak, if only I could convince my missus...

Indeed, Its a great tent, perfect for doing long hikes!

Gimme a bell if you want some company on the summer hike bud ;)

Must be mighty strong poles if you can hang a hammock off of them.

I think you're getting mixed up. I'm assuming the poles are for making a tarp tent config and not for hanging hammock from :D

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
I did it with the family last summer - we used a 4 man mountain hardware teepee . Hammock is a no no - there are not enough trees at any of the viable campsites. In fact, for such a popular walk, there are only 2 or 3 campsites actually en route. Wild camping is an option on large parts of it.
Have you planned possible stopping points or miles per day yet?
Put your itinerary up here once you've planned it - happy to advise...

You'll love it - a cracking walk!

Snozz

Mr_Riff

Aug 13, 2012
Manchester
I did it with the family last summer - we used a 4 man mountain hardware teepee . Hammock is a no no - there are not enough trees at any of the viable campsites. In fact, for such a popular walk, there are only 2 or 3 campsites actually en route. Wild camping is an option on large parts of it.
Have you planned possible stopping points or miles per day yet?
Put your itinerary up here once you've planned it - happy to advise...

You'll love it - a cracking walk!

Snozz

Thanks Snozz,

I'm still in the process of planning it all but i've booked the 2nd week in April off work, so once i've worked it all out i'll be in touch with some questions about campsites and supplies on route

Wayne

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Watching this thread, sounds like a great route winter or summer.

I have a Wild Country Solar which is very useable for pitching, getting in/out, sitting, cooking. It looks like the Zephyros variants have taken its place?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE