The Covid19 Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
You have many Antifa incidents in Finland? ( I think I have your location correct ).
Oh yes, we have had. A lot worse than football hooligans, these black clad figures act as if they were somehow entitled to kick people THEY define as fascists (or actually anybody who has the bad luck to be in their way). If it looks like the police might catch a few they disperse. Almost straight from The Maoist Insurgency textbook.

Though nowhere as bad as in the US. At least not yet.

Reactions: santaman2000

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Oh yes, we have had. A lot worse than football hooligans, these black clad figures act as if they were somehow entitled to kick people THEY define as fascists (or actually anybody who has the bad luck to be in their way). If it looks like the police might catch a few they disperse. Almost straight from The Maoist Insurgency textbook.

Though nowhere as bad as in the US. At least not yet.

I'll admit I'm kinda suprised - I always thought your neck of the woods were a little more , conservative & sensible as a culture - Antifa seems to mostly start in the bastions of Higher Education. I agree that the Irony is in how they act and also what they see themselves as.
Orwell would be spinning in his grave.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'd like to read that too

I think these are probably the two stories.

This is on many news sites, this one is The Scientist. Antibodies declining very quickly in people who’ve had the disease.

Last edited:
Reactions: beachlover

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Interesting how antifa got onto Trump's radar I believe after getting into a scrap with the racist and fascist proud boys. I guess the proud boys are worthy of Trump's protection but antifa are the only terrorists out of the two. AIUI KKK isn't a banned organisation but trump wants antifa to be banned.

I don't think either KKK,proud boys or antifa should be allowed to operate personally but you have to realise the origins of antifa. Their origins is the UK and Germany AIUI from the 1920s and 1930s where they originated to counter fascist violence. A kind of if they can use violence then we should to oppose them. As we all know the allied cause was using violence against fascist violence in WWII. Is that not got some parallels? Violence breeds violence it seems.

Right back to now there's an increase in far right wing and fascist activities across Europe and in America. It's hardly surprising there will be opposition willing to copy the tactics of the far right and fascists. As I said before I think there's people on both ends of the spectrum into violence and are terrorists. Proud boys or antifa I don't care which but if they use violence to further their cause they deserve shutting down and locking up.

Been shopping with mask again, it surprised me who else had a mask. At the beginning the elderly wore them and younger didn't. Now I'm seeing more elderly without them and increasingly I get surprised by early 20 year olds wearing them. Even young families and kids of primary school age. A few weeks back people on here were complaining about lone parents in supermarkets with kids. I thought it refreshing to see families with masks on. Except the lone teenager of course.

Reactions: Toddy

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Can you explain why you think Proud boys are A) Racist B) Fascist?
I did a Google search for them and pretty much every site I got said they were a neo-fascist group founded during the 2016 election.

Why do you not think they are fascists or hold fascistic views?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I did a Google search for them and pretty much every site I got said they were a neo-fascist group founded during the 2016 election.

Why do you not think they are fascists or hold fascistic views?

Its not me making the assertion , its you.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I’m just booking in for my third donation of convalescent Covid plasma. They test the antibodies each time to make sure there’s enough. Will be interesting to know if I’ve run out as it would hit about the right timing now.

Very interesting. Do you get some sort of antibody 'count' on each donation?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I think these are probably the two stories.

This is on many news sites, this one is The Scientist. Antibodies declining very quickly in people who’ve had the disease.

Cheers dude. I'll read those tomorrow

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
People on the British Isles should consider themself lucky if they don't know what Antifa is. Think of a SS Sondereinheit without weapons (mostly so far) but gone crazy and partly without any control.
Well given that their self proclaimed model is anarchy the lack of control seems natural.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Can anyone explain why a thread on Covid-19 is being used to discuss politics?

View attachment 60419
Given the OP’s title included the questions, “Are we taking it seriously? and, “If not, why not?” the natural responses have been mostly about government responses to the pandemic. That in and of itself is a political hot potato.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Can anyone explain why a thread on Covid-19 is being used to discuss politics?

View attachment 60419

I've tried twice to get back on track but nobody seems to want to discuss or answer the questions I've asked. Only to talk about a particular, and totaly irrelevant
to the thread, political organisation.
Very frustrating !
Please can we leave that discussion for another thread if people find interest in it.
Let's get back to the real subject.
It now looks like face covering is to become mandatory on the 24th of July.
I have been advocating and walking my talk on this since before lockdown.
Once again eventualy things have come round to my way of thinking. . Though much too late in my opinion.
Why are we waiting for yet another week to do this when there are already spikes in infections in several areas of the country already. ?
Apparently to give people time to prepare... have we not had enough time....(5 months) to do this?
Once again we are behind the curve.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Wondering when here at least medical people give very absolute opinions on the usefulness of different kind of masks. When apparently they can't even tell what is the main route of infection. The efficiency of a mask is a question of physics not medicine and to measure that one has to know what to measure, so far they do not.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
No, just that it's enough to donate again but I'm going to ask if I can have actual numbers. the process may leave me with none but knowing of a few people that have died from it, it's a risk I'm happy to take.

Oh you think donating may actually increase your risk of reinfection, damn nothing is straightforward is it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE