The Covid19 Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You couldn't pay me enough to go near Snowdonia.
What have you got there? Another land-locked cruise ship.

Small communities in western Canada are proclaiming themselves to be inhospitable.

Even our outstanding jewels, the mountain region national parks like Jasper and Banff.
It isn't even early spring here so I wonder how effective the negative promotion will be in 8 weeks.

My little (650) village is asking travelers to get out, stay out and keep driving.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
You couldn't pay me enough to go near Snowdonia.
What have you got there? Another land-locked cruise ship.

To be honest Snowden is a desecrated and spoilt treasure anyway. I haven't been up in years because of the crowds there most of the time (and there's a bl**dy railway and café on it); to most of them it's just another hill to 'bag' and tick off the list. I prefer to climb the Glyders and watch the ants crawling over Snowden from afar.

Ooh, actually, maybe Snowden will be empty now - I wonder how I could get there unseen :)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I saw a graphic on the BBC news site the other day, to help people visualise 2mtrs separation.
They had a drawing of someone holding a broom at arms length and the bristles touching another person.
Now, I would love to see people carrying brooms en masse on the streets and ushering others away with them.
It would be like living in an episode of Last of the Summer Wine!
I got told imagine a dead body lying between you and the next person. That only works if they're my height (well I'm 196cm so close enough). I just hope I'm not going to be the dead body spacer any time soon.

Walking the dog today and it's good to see people scrambling up the canal towpath bank to keep their distance. That's really only been the last couple of days though.

What doesn't seem that good to me are people with PPE on, but not wearing it right. Masks only n covering the mouth. No eye covering, gloves on but they take them off to chip and pin. The bandage covering the mouth only. First off bandages are very open structure, secondly it's not covering the nose.

I guess I'm being uncharitable and those PPE failures are better than nothing but I find it tingles my obsessive genes strongly.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
To be honest Snowden is a desecrated and spoilt treasure anyway. I haven't been up in years because of the crowds there most of the time (and there's a bl**dy railway and café on it); to most of them it's just another hill to 'bag' and tick off the list. I prefer to climb the Glyders and watch the ants crawling over Snowden from afar.

Ooh, actually, maybe Snowden will be empty now - I wonder how I could get there unseen :)
I gave up on Snowden after seeing a family of obese people get off the train, walk round to iirc the be steps to the actual summit, take three or four steps up before one of them say " oh that's close enough, let's get something to eat at the café.", I excused myself and jogged past them up the very short way to the summit. Quick look around and back to the cafe before they got to the cafe. Being judgemental but I don't care because they make it so easy to get to the summit and they were too lazy to do anything.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Dislike those places which never resemble the post card pictures any more.

Welcome to the "big empty." You can camp 30 minutes from this village and never see a soul for 2 weeks.
Bit early to do any peak bagging because of the snow pack at 130% of normal and the tree holes are bad, I hear.
No avalanche deaths so far this winter. Keeps the village cheerful.

But McBride does not want any visitors. Stay away. Keep driving.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I’m with Paul on the distance bit. It’s given in feet here rather than meters but the distance (6 feet) is close enough to 2 meters that the same principle works: the body length of a moderately tall man (I’m 6’ 2” so it’s an easy thing for me to picture) I prefer to imagine a slightly safer distance though: the distance between fence posts on a farm fence (8 feet standard spacing here)

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I gave up on Snowden after seeing a family of obese people get off the train, walk round to iirc the be steps to the actual summit, take three or four steps up before one of them say " oh that's close enough, let's get something to eat at the café.", I excused myself and jogged past them up the very short way to the summit. Quick look around and back to the cafe before they got to the cafe. Being judgemental but I don't care because they make it so easy to get to the summit and they were too lazy to do anything.

The only SnowdEn, that I know of (Edward), is IIRC, self-isolating in Moscow! ;)

As for Yr Wyddfa, the message from the Visit Snowdonia website’s advice is “Don’t!”.

Saw this on a local FB group :)

E3B39AA9-970B-4983-BF57-DA379D618F7E.jpeg

As with all these places, if you are prepared to forego the obvious honeypots, it is (in normal times), quite possible to enjoy a day out away from the great unwashed.

In winter, the cafe and the railway to the top of Snowdon is shut and add a bit of snow and ice and the mountain and Crib Goch in particular becomes a genuinely challenging place.

Reactions: santaman2000

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
That's what I thought too but there was a post I read before posting that spelt it that way. Being in a bit of a lockdown induced brain fog I copied that spelling. Iirc the other guy was a welshman or someone living nearer Snowdon than I so my mind had a reason for misspelling. Just be grateful I didn't try spelling the real name for it (as in the Welsh name) at that time of night. :)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Apologies; you are correct to correct me - just lazy typing and after a dram or two :) I refrained from using 'Yr Wyddfa' so everyone understood where we meant. Yes, born and bred Welshman so no justifiable excuse :)

However, it's not just the crowds that spoil Yr Wyddfa - it's the fact it's spoilt in every other way - railway line, buildings, heavily eroded, litter, cairns …. Sadly (or luckily) there are better mountains to enjoy even for a Welshman.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Apologies; you are correct to correct me - just lazy typing and after a dram or two :) I refrained from using 'Yr Wyddfa' so everyone understood where we meant. Yes, born and bred Welshman so no justifiable excuse :)

However, it's not just the crowds that spoil Yr Wyddfa - it's the fact it's spoilt in every other way - railway line, buildings, heavily eroded, litter, cairns …. Sadly (or luckily) there are better mountains to enjoy even for a Welshman.

No need to apologise (least of all to a blow-in), I got pulled up on here a while ago for misspelling “pedant”! ;)

PyF is closer to me these days and I am sad to say that its popularity means that have socially distanced myself from it for a while, but as you say, there are plenty of other hills to enjoy in peace and solitude - which is what I go hill walking for. :)

This might while away a few minutes of self-isolation.

Reactions: SaraR

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
What I haven't quite got about this "social distancing" business is that should I go upwards or downwards and really how far? :borg:

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands

Have you eber tried the Carrned range, its vitually deserted in comparison, the a5 at Idwal is a carpark. Maybe because you cant really see the peaks from the road, or maybe because of the long walk from the road its not well peopled. The short route up from idwal is very precarious.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE