The Bushcraft Show working pictures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Just back from a busy 4 days working at the bushcraft show.
I was helping the Rangers at Derbyshire County Council who I work with on the site, to put on Firelighting for kids, campfire cooking food samples (I mainly consumed I'm afraid!), greenwood craft and spoon carving demos. I did have most of Saturday off as a punter though, as it was my birthday, so I got a chance to chat more with the demonstrators.
Its great seeing a site I often work at climbing and inspecting trees, being taken over by such a big interest of mine.

Lots to see and I only grabbed a few pics on Sun and Mon but here we go..

Our frontage during a very wet Sunday, but it was more interesting round back (Which was supposed to be at the front!)
S5000512.jpg

S5000511.jpg

:umbrella:
S5000510.jpg

Monday morning
S5000518.jpg

Followed by brewage (Helps after a decent gig the night before :cool:) Kipped on the deck in a Czech army bed roll. (Guess which army surplus chap was there, I got some blooming excellent kit there, cheers)
S5000519.jpg

My Carving set up
S5000515.jpg

..and the fire lighting prep. A bit tricky in the rain with a gazebo but loads of kids loved it.
S5000513.jpg

Wilderness Survival Skills set up, a very interesting place and excellent demonstrations in Flint knapping and Hide working.
S5000520.jpg

S5000522.jpg

Gransfors knife forging demonstration.
S5000525.jpg

S5000526.jpg

I got a bit carried away demoing as there was a last minute rush and I was left on my own with my kit and landy as the rest was cleared away around me :lmao:
S5000527.jpg

Met some really great people so hello again, and keep in touch.

Addo :)

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice one Paul, shame I couldn't get up there to check it out. Looks like a great weekend, perhaps next year will be the one. Thanks for sharing the interesting pics and happy belated birthday!

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Cheers mate, It was worth it for me, mainly trying to win folks round about what the countryide service do for folks. Knocking about with the other demonstrators is always fun too.
I've got loads of spoon blanks to finish now though before they harden off!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Happy birthday Addo :hapbirth: :beerchug:

I love that leaf shaped dish on the middle of your table :cool:

Was it Karl Lee who did the flintknapping demos ? I have pitchstone for him.......I'll figure it out.

cheers,
Toddy

Mang

Settler
I was helping on the IEAT Scout stand and from the snippets I saw the show looked really good. It will be at the same site next year in late May and early bird tickets are available. Oh and the loos were well looked after through the whole thing although some had lights which slowly changed colour, a bit odd just before bed after some beers :D

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks for the birthday wishes.

Toddy - I was told Karl Lee does work for the folks demonstrating, but the chaps name at the show was Anthony Whitlock I believe. Glad you like the bowl, I think I'll do a few more of those as it was quite popular.

Mr Poncho - Yes Les was there seemed a real genuine guy and did a great gig on the Sunday night, shame no story telling but he did allow questions between songs and was happy to answer them.

No worries Si, catch up with you at a local meet some time fella.

joe o

Feb 14, 2011
Wiltshire
Toddy - I was told Karl Lee does work for the folks demonstrating, but the chaps name at the show was Anthony Whitlock I believe.

Hi Paul,

Was good to meet you. Correction on the above - Karl Lee doesn't do any demonstrating for us. John Lord used to but Antony Whitlock has risen up through the flint knapping ranks, completing a Masters in it as well as working on the experimental archeaology departments research team at Exeter uni for the last year or so. Antony has also been teaching bushcraft for a long while, being one of the first to complete the NCFE instructor award with John Rhyder. He's worked for several established schools in the industry so approaches the primitive technologies through the eyes of a bushcrafter.

Sorry if this seems like an Antony Whitlock promotional speel but didn't want Karl to get the glory after Antony worked so hard delivering demo's at the show!

Cheers
Joe
www.wilderness-survival.co.uk

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Woops, sorry about that Joe, must have got muddled up there.
Antonys demonstration was really good and he deserves all the credit for the hard work as you say.

Good to meet you too, and I'm looking forward to upping my game from Squirrel to Deer on the buckskin front.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks Joe :)
I met Karl at the show last year, and promised him some of the other native knappables. I wondered if he'd done the demos this year too. By the sounds of it Anthony's done a sterling job :cool:
Capable people who are good at the explanation too are brilliant to know.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE