the bushcraft knife from woodlore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
Knife_Dark.jpg

designed by ray mears, made by wilkinson sword only 95 quid. also available in birds eye maple for 165

cheers, and.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Superb ed, one of the best knife handle materials. They seem to feel "grippy" even when wet, they kind of look and feel a little like wood.

For those who dont know, Micarta is made up of layers of cloth - usually either linen or canvas (though sometimes paper is used) and impregnated with resin. When shaped, the layers give an effect similar to wood grain, varying in density depending on the material used for the layering process. It can be polished to a pretty high lustre, but for a working knife, a dull satin finish is nice - seems a little more "grippy".

Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2003
Is anyone planning a review on the Wilkinson sword versions? :-D

I'd be interested to hear if the build quality holds up to the Alan Wood original. Imho the micarta handle looks more attractive than the maple pictured on raymears.com.

Bit of a cheeky move with the neck sheath though :roll:

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Matt said:

I'd be interested to hear if the build quality holds up to the Alan Wood original. Imho the micarta handle looks more attractive than the maple pictured on raymears.com.

I've ordered one, and if Tony/Gary is agreeable, I'll send it over for them to review.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Martyn said:
Matt said:

I've ordered one, and if Tony/Gary is agreeable, I'll send it over for them to review.

Umm, I think that we might condescend to have a look at said blade, if we were in a good mood at the time.... Hey, it so happens I'm in a good mood....I bet Gary is as well :biggthump And as for my personal opinion of Martyn for the offer.... :You_Rock_

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
It's 01 Wayne, or possibly the sheffield equivalent - B01 (sheffield equiv has a slightly different composition to the American stuff).

Dunno what kind of heat treament, my guess is probably an even heat, then a quick dunk of the whole blade to achieve an even hardness, then tempered back. I'll surely give it a wipe over with ferric chloride when I get it though, as it *may* have been differentially treated. Though a hammon may only show if the blade has been differentially hardened, rather than differentially tempered. The differentially hardened blade, edge quenched, or clay treatment, can reveal a good hammon in 01, but tempering back the spine after an overall hardening, leaves notoriously washy results, a hammon may not be visible at all, even if differentiation exists.

It should be noted, that although differential heat treatment is *only* possible with carbon steel blades, it doesnt in any way mean that a carbon blade must be diferentailly treated to be a good knife. For example, Alan wood told me he does not differentially heat treat the woodlore knives, as he feels it's pointless on such a design - and he's probably right. The knife has stood the test of severe use very well.

I would imagine that the Wilkinson Sword knife, also has a uniform heat treatment for the same reason (it's also easier).

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
Wow, Micarta and O1 in a knife like this for under a ton... :cool:

Unless the fit and finish are poor or the treat is bad I am seriously considering one of these for a good rough use utility knife.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Anybody managed to get their hands on one of these yet? If so whats the quality like? Overall impresions etc. etc?
Particularly in the micarta version.

Cheers,

Dave

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i spoke to someone at woodlore the other day, last word was they won't be out till the end of november....

cheers, and.

A

Anonymous

Yeah waiting patiently here. ;)

"Orders are now being taken for our first delivery of Bushcraft knives at the end of November 2003."

You know, I'm sure that was the end of October when I placed my order. Ahwell.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I set the forum index page as a "Favourite" after I had logged on, which means everytime I click on the link I'm already logged in, cookies see....

Justin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE